mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/3/15 9:58 p.m.

Seriously. A suburban? I've seen a 1 ton Dodge quad with 2 south africans, a german, and a crate full of luggage (In car no less!) but... Where the hell did someone get a suburban like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=238&v=43FZqZEUKK4

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
5/3/15 10:19 p.m.

May not have read this, but GRM did a whole issue on the ring. It's also a roadway when it's not being used as a track. You pay toll and everything.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/3/15 10:26 p.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

Eh, not really. It's "officially" a toll road I think, but it's never used as an actual road.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
5/3/15 10:30 p.m.

It's a way to get from one part of an area to another, it is maintained, and has laws enforced by government authority. What more do you want? Traffic laws must be followed... Buses, taxis, mopeds....

WizardDog
WizardDog New Reader
5/3/15 10:37 p.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

I don't think it goes from one place to another. I think it can only be run in a loop, so not really a way to get somewhere. I think.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
5/3/15 11:15 p.m.

DHL for the win

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/3/15 11:27 p.m.

Right, I know you can get pretty much whatever you want on the ring. It seems to be sort of a sport to take weird E36 M3 on it. My point was, who the hell has a mint condition box suburban in the middle of Germany? That can't be common.

Richard Nixon
Richard Nixon SuperDork
5/3/15 11:30 p.m.

American cars, while rare, are not too hard to find, especially trucks and SUVs.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/3/15 11:39 p.m.
Richard Nixon wrote: American cars, while rare, are not too hard to find, especially trucks and SUVs.

Its funny you say that- the reason I have video of the dodge on the ring is very similar. Felix bought the truck from my uncle marks brother Henley, and mark and Henley decided to go with the truck to germany. They went from the airport to the cargo port to the ring. I talked to Felix at length one night- it seems many Germans have this odd fascination with stupid american cars the way we do with German cars. Felix was angling for a mustang cobra last I heard.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/3/15 11:48 p.m.

The link goes to the very end of the video.

Go to the beginning. A BUS???

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
5/4/15 5:53 a.m.

The Suburban was cool. The early 80's Japanese sedan was scarily driftastic. What was that, Corona, Cressida, something else?

Powar
Powar SuperDork
5/4/15 7:53 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote: The Suburban was cool. The early 80's Japanese sedan was scarily driftastic. What was that, Corona, Cressida, something else?

I believe that's a Cressida.

The Suburban... awesome.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
5/4/15 8:08 a.m.

It turns out board member TimewarpF100 used to own that Suburban, and he sold it to the guy in Germany. It was mentioned in this discussion on the Garage Journal forum: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4799434&highlight=suburban#post4799434 There are a few pictures of the truck, it's really in nice shape.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/15 8:13 a.m.

How many of you were thinking "GET OUT OF THE WAY! GET OFF MY LINE!" I was looking at the fast car stuck behind the funny cars and feeling sorry for them.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/15 8:14 a.m.
Knurled wrote: The link goes to the very end of the video. Go to the beginning. A BUS???

You can do more laps when you split the entrance fee 40 ways.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
5/4/15 8:37 a.m.
Donebrokeit wrote: DHL for the win

I was going to say DHL delivers!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
5/4/15 8:37 a.m.
WizardDog wrote: In reply to Trackmouse: I don't think it goes from one place to another. I think it can only be run in a loop, so not really a way to get somewhere. I think.

Yes it does go from one place to another. It goes from the pit exit through a slightly circuitous rout of about 14 miles back to the pit entrance, a couple of hundred meters from where you started

It is a public toll road 100%. All traffic laws apply and if you hit another car you will receive a ticket from the Police for causing an accident. You are also fiscally responsible for any damage you cause to the track. So if you hit a car and bounce off the guardrail, you are not only responsible for fixing your car, but also the other car and paying the track to repair damage to the Armco etc.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tRrSPfbLjwejE4xvPZ1yWW6Bj0e5rXWqEMVjhjhzmEWSakk1IDat4odh7HLyoWpc