1 2 3
fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/26/12 6:22 p.m.

It happened again last night...

I drove Tom Celica over to the store to pick something up. I don't drive it a lot, but this is like a mile and a half trip. I walk out of the store and there's another mid 40s looking guy checking out the car. Cool, I love to talk about it. We had a good time chatting and the inevitable topic came up.

"We're building a race car"

"Oh? What kind of racing do you do?"

"Autocross"

"What's that"

"Well, we kind of race around traffic cones in big parking lots"

Then the look. The look that says "that's cute, I thought you meant 'real racing'".

Okay, I need a better description. How do you answer the question?

What is autocross?

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/26/12 6:27 p.m.

I usually say something about taking a road racing course and squashing it onto a big parking lot, then maybe add something about running one car at a time against the clock, depending on whether the listener is looking more bored or more worried about their car...

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/26/12 6:27 p.m.

Happens to me all the time. I just describe it as a course set up with cones that is used to do timed runs/time trials.

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
3/26/12 6:29 p.m.

I call it drag racing with turns and cones. Go balls out as fast as you can. If i'm talking to flatbillers and brotatoes, I call it time attack in a parking lot. Gotta break it down.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/12 6:33 p.m.

Cones in a parking lot.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/26/12 6:34 p.m.

I tell people that I stand in the sun all day and, every once in a while, I drive as fast as I can around a bunch of cones for about a minute or so.

I don't understand why I do it either...

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/26/12 6:38 p.m.
Woody wrote: I tell people that I stand in the sun all day and, every once in a while, I drive as fast as I can around a bunch of cones for about a minute or so. I don't understand why I do it either...

Oh, I know why I do it. The minute of driving is awesome, but I have a blast hanging out with a bunch of other car folks.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Reader
3/26/12 6:43 p.m.

How about this-

"If you have to ask, you'll never know"

If you think explaing autoX is bad, trying to explain rallyX to people is worse. People see the 300zx with racing numbers on it, and they ask "what kind of racing do you do?" Oh my, you should see the blank stares and glazed over looks when I tell them that it races off-road.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/26/12 6:45 p.m.

I explain rallycross the same way as autocross...but on dirt/gravel/fields.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/26/12 6:47 p.m.

"no, not that thing with the dirt bikes"

"better than drag, not as good as rallycross"

"driving competition for those of us who can't afford trackdays"

"miata central"

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/26/12 6:47 p.m.
Aeromoto wrote: If you think explaing autoX is bad, trying to explain rallyX to people is worse.

"I rallycross"

"Oh, what's that?"

"It's like autocross on dirt"

"What's autocross?"

I see what you mean.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/26/12 6:50 p.m.
Woody wrote: I tell people that I stand in the sun all day and, every once in a while, I drive as fast as I can around a bunch of cones for about a minute or so. I don't understand why I do it either...

This. The only thing to add is, "when I do get to drive I change directions every 1.5 second or so."

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/26/12 6:52 p.m.
Aeromoto wrote: How about this- "If you have to ask, you'll never know" If you think explaing autoX is bad, trying to explain rallyX to people is worse. People see the 300zx with racing numbers on it, and they ask "what kind of racing do you do?" Oh my, you should see the blank stares and glazed over looks when I tell them that it races off-road.

I just say "it's like X-games where the subarus are jumping dirt piles, but not as hardcore" and people seem to get that and think I"m a badass

If they only knew the truth...

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/26/12 6:54 p.m.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/26/12 6:59 p.m.
irish44j wrote: I just say "it's like X-games where the subarus are jumping dirt piles, but not as hardcore" and people seem to get that and think I"m a badass If they only knew the truth...

I think you're on to something.

"What's autocross?"

"You know those Ken Block videos? It's a lot like that, only less drift- you have to do it as fast as possible. I'm kinda like Ken Block, only fast."

Sounds a lot better than what I have now. Somehow you gotta leave the cones out. That just sounds wussy. Changing it to "pylon" doesn't really help. That just gets you "what's a pylon?" And that's a damn good question. Who came up with pylon? What the heck is a "pylon" anyhow? That can't be cool.

Let's see what wikipedia has to say...

"Aircraft pylon, a vertical structure used to mount external equipment such as engines and weapons..."

I was wrong. That is cool. "We race around vertical structures used to mount external equipment such as engines and weapons..."

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
3/26/12 7:01 p.m.

I describe it as "light time trial racing". It sounds awesome to those who don't care to ask any more. Those that care enough to ask further questions usually get a video link sent to them. After that, there's a 50/50 mix of "That was awesome, but I can't believe you do that with your car" and "BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Really, you spend a whole Saturday on that?!?"

GTB_ZR1
GTB_ZR1 New Reader
3/26/12 7:04 p.m.
Javelin wrote:

Missing the 7th one-"What my wife thinks I do (see: what I really do)...

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
3/26/12 7:05 p.m.

Tell them you do Sports Car Club of America Autocross Racing (sounds official.)
If they want more then tell them that unlike drag racing which is in a straight line, this is similar with a timed slalom course.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/26/12 7:07 p.m.
GTB_ZR1 wrote: Missing the 7th one-"What my wife thinks I do (see: what I really do)...

...but with an even bigger pile of cash and a hungry, poorly dressed kid who looks neglected...

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/26/12 7:09 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: I describe it as "light time trial racing". It sounds awesome to those who don't care to ask any more. Those that care enough to ask further questions usually get a video link sent to them. After that, there's a 50/50 mix of "That was awesome, but I can't believe you do that with your car" and "BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Really, you spend a whole Saturday on that?!?"

and never, never, never mention anything about "working the course," thus inviting ridicule when you have to admit "yeah, we just stand around in a parking lot, in the hot sun, for hours, waiting for someone to knock over a cone (or pylong) so we can run out and pick it back up, or call it in on a little radio."

JtspellS
JtspellS Reader
3/26/12 7:09 p.m.

Road course in a parking lot with cones and people still give you the strangest look.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/26/12 7:10 p.m.

I also like to send them a link to a vid of european rallycross, and say "US autocross is just like that"

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
3/26/12 7:12 p.m.

I have experienced equally condescending attitudes from amateur drag racers, stock car racers and SCCA road racers about autocross.

On the other hand, my dental hygienist thinks I'm a race car driver.

My stock answer is simply: it is a low risk way to go as fast as you possibly can, while at the same time wasting huge amounts of money and time.

Ask them how many miles they get out of a set of tires? Compare to r-comps (in miles).

Zomby woof
Zomby woof UltraDork
3/26/12 7:12 p.m.

I don't consider autocross to be racing, but if anybody asks me, I tell them it's like road racing, but against the clock. Don't mention the cones, or parking lots. It just confuses them.

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
3/26/12 7:19 p.m.
Zomby woof wrote: I don't consider autocross to be racing,

Hey now, them's fightin' words. Next thing you know you'll be telling me my roll barred Miata isn't a "real race car". Please leave our illusions of awesomeness alone.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LQ0Rnv5tPDCwvShFoOKxDIo9JQMDxnmyUQ3KTSW3zudUrmPYY8jjE8fy9X5bJ0VS