1 2 3
kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
3/26/12 7:23 p.m.

BTW - I usually send them one of this guy's links: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhDgaHRMLUU

emodspitfire
emodspitfire Reader
3/26/12 7:35 p.m.

I am an (ex)skier living in CO, in a neighborhood that considers motorsports as (Sniff) blue collar.

When the neighbors ask me about the racecar, I explain: It's like slalom skiing with a car: the competition requires a very agile vehicle, the speeds are relatively low, and the drivers mental focus is paramount. Most of them smile and understand....

Rog

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
3/26/12 7:58 p.m.

"Yes, it's just like drifting." Seriously. Is it really worth the effort?

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/26/12 8:12 p.m.

except nobody except motorsports types knows what drifting is, lol.

how about "it's just like NASCAR, except we turn both ways and drive production cars"

that should cover the non-motorsports masses angle.

westsidetalon
westsidetalon Reader
3/26/12 8:51 p.m.

tell them its just like gymkhana racing

T.J.
T.J. UberDork
3/26/12 9:05 p.m.

What about the floppy hats? A page an a half and no mentions of totally uncool hats?

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/26/12 9:09 p.m.
bludroptop wrote: My stock answer is simply: it is a low risk way to go as fast as you possibly can, while at the same time wasting huge amounts of money and time.

Ug, your build was less expensive than mine.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/26/12 9:10 p.m.
westsidetalon wrote: tell them its just like gymkhana racing

I would, but I don't know how to pronounce it!

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/26/12 9:11 p.m.
emodspitfire wrote: I am an (ex)skier living in CO, in a neighborhood that considers motorsports as (Sniff) blue collar. When the neighbors ask me about the racecar, I explain: It's like slalom skiing with a car: the competition requires a very agile vehicle, the speeds are relatively low, and the drivers mental focus is paramount. Most of them smile and understand.... Rog

I've seen your avatar before but never made the connection! Saw your car (and I assume you at the wheel) on Saturday!

sergio
sergio New Reader
3/26/12 10:08 p.m.

Autocross is G forces the average Joe has only experienced on a roller coaster. We do it in our cars with no rails.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
3/27/12 6:24 a.m.

I don't autox any more, but when I did, I always described it exactly as it was. Cones set up in a large parking lot designed to make a "course", and you go as fast as you can through them. People can think what they want, it is what it is.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/27/12 7:02 a.m.

It's a hobby that's held my attention longer than, generates breathless anticipation every time and is cheaper to maintain than a girlfriend.

...and when a car bitches at me I know what it's saying.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
3/27/12 7:25 a.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
westsidetalon wrote: tell them its just like gymkhana racing
I would, but I don't know how to pronounce it!

"Jim Conner". Close enough...

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
3/27/12 7:43 a.m.

In reply to fast_eddie_72:

Invite him to give it a try. He will learn just how real it is.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
3/27/12 7:45 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

A perfect description!

njansenv
njansenv Dork
3/27/12 7:47 a.m.

I usually invite them to come and see - one or two ride-a-longs and they're eyes are usually pretty wide.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
3/27/12 7:49 a.m.

Hours of foreplay leading up to a premature ej-

I'll stop there.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/27/12 8:02 a.m.

I usually describe it as being like road racing, but instead of competing with other drivers, you're competing against the clock.

but then I usually get, "oh, so its like racing for guys who are afraid of denting their car?"

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
3/27/12 8:21 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: I usually describe it as being like road racing, but instead of competing with other drivers, you're competing against the clock. but then I usually get, "oh, so its like racing for guys who are afraid of denting their car?"

Just reply "No its for guys that like to do something with their cars besides waxing it".

I haven't driven an autocross course before but I would like to go do it sometime just to say I have done it.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
3/27/12 8:45 a.m.

I find that most people don't consider racing to be racing unless there is sliding, tire spinning and the potential for violent crashes. People like loud shiny things and are mesmerized by smoke and fire.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
3/27/12 8:51 a.m.

This is why you race multiple disciplines.

"What kind of racing do you do?"

"Autocross, rallycross, ice time trials and hillclimbs."

"What are those?"

"The most fun you can have with your clothes on."

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/27/12 9:28 a.m.
Moparman wrote: I find that most people don't consider racing to be racing unless there is sliding, tire spinning and the potential for violent crashes. People like loud shiny things and are mesmerized by smoke and fire.

Well, I've been sliding a lot lately. Tire spinning- oh yeah, even with the LSD installed. Violent crashes? I'll pass.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
3/27/12 9:28 a.m.

Sort of like drag racing only you have to turn a few times.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/27/12 9:30 a.m.
iceracer wrote: Sort of like drag racing only you have to turn a few times.

That sounds like ProSolo (which I did for the first time last summer and it is AWESOME!)

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
3/27/12 11:31 a.m.

In reply to fast_eddie_72:

I am with you. My Neon spins the R-tires even with my Quaiffe. A combination of good power and weight shifting off the drive wheels at launch.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MKGmTW8C0V1uoxby1zSKG8JgpxhuQIS4Fve4Ftor616uYNQHZWfXBXX8yF66S0P7