1 2 3
The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
5/9/13 2:43 p.m.

Durability, torque, parts are plentiful and cheap, etc. Then there's that smile that creeps across your face when you start it or mat the loud pedal.

My wife fully supports Murican V8, rear drive goodness.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
5/9/13 2:51 p.m.

My wife and I stopped having disagreements about money spent on car projects car projects a few years back. We have a separate bank account that has a car/hobby fund. We negotiate how much is going in the fund at the beginning of the year. I am free to buy what I want as long as the money comes from that account. I am free put the proceeds from selling car related stuff in it. I am not free to spend more than what is in the account.

End result: We have one discussion about money for hobbies per year. I get to do what I want. She doesn't worry that we are going to go broke because of my car projects.

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
5/9/13 3:00 p.m.

Just tell her the LSX is a rotary when you're putting it in the car......

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/9/13 3:04 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
singleslammer wrote: My wife is the most frugal person on the planet. All her shoes cost less than 30 dollars
Less than $20 here. Wife hates "fashion".
I don't even wear shoes. Them E36 M3s are too expensive and for Bob Costas.

I didn't know you were from Kentucky too.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/9/13 3:18 p.m.

buy high mile clean rx8.

take it out a few weeks later, blow engine sky high. don't care how you do it just do it. then show her the cost of a rebuilt rotary - this link is shows $4195 average cost http://www.pettitracing.com/rx8-engines/

then show her the $3000 cost of an ls1/t56 dropout from an f body.

or do the manly thing and buy a low mile 6 speed gto for 12k.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/9/13 5:06 p.m.

I would start with a v10 or 12 or 16 and "settle" for the 8.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
5/9/13 5:16 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

How is the GTO the manly choice? It has trailing link suspension, weights a E36 M3load more, and is not as interesting to look at. Also, the rear doors are a big deal to me.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
5/9/13 5:22 p.m.

Remind her that she stood at an altar and promised to make you happy. She may or may not have let down on some of her duties in this respect, but here is her chance to make up for any lapses.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
5/9/13 5:27 p.m.
patgizz wrote: buy high mile clean rx8. take it out a few weeks later, blow engine sky high. don't care how you do it just do it.

Be sure to make a video.

calteg
calteg Reader
5/9/13 5:33 p.m.

-"honey, it needs a new motor, this one is bad" -show mountain of evidence supporting blown rotaries You don't have to specify which motor.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/9/13 5:34 p.m.

How knowledgeable about cars is she? What do you guys drive now? Does she understand what driving enjoyment is or what a good handling car feels like?

Can you approach it as a multi stage attack.

First you want to establish how something like a miata is nimble and rewarding to drive and that mazda builds a great chassis. When they came out with the RX-8 it is often lauded as the ideal "responsible" car for an enthusiast because its back seat is usable yet it retains a weight that is lighter than a corvette.

The weakness of the car is its rotary engine which not only has reliability concerns long term but also fuel economy woes. Swapping to the V8 cures both of these by replacing it with something that should see a 30% fuel economy bump and reduce long term cost by replacing it with something american with huge parts availability

Get one and drive it on the rotary until it breaks unless it needs an engine to begin with? Make a savings plan and put money away until you can afford to swap?

Secretariata
Secretariata GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/9/13 5:34 p.m.
Woody wrote: You don't.

Gotta go with Woody's answer.

Only car questions around here are the wife asking about reliability and maintainability on a car she is considering buying. Ultimately it is either her car (her decision) or my car (my decision).

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
5/9/13 5:42 p.m.

My wife learned how I operate early on "moar because moar". I knew she got it when she suggested I trade my n/a mz3 for my ms3, because it was turbo.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/9/13 5:45 p.m.

For me it comes down to a different discussion

1) what are her requirements for my car IE it should have room for kid seats, it should get X mpg or better whatever they are

2) what is my budget

Teggsan
Teggsan Reader
5/9/13 5:46 p.m.

"I'm going to have a V8 with the sandwich you're about to make me."

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
5/9/13 7:27 p.m.

"Cause I'm the man and I earn the money" just promise to video tape the response PLEASE.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
5/9/13 7:47 p.m.

"Mom said I couldn't handle a V-8..."

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PbVZ7FAgNjXoBtLVWnSeVtln5neAICB1ujaHUBM5UmDphRQwRU43zh2IFNtLTZwP