1 2
Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
9/16/15 8:45 a.m.
jstein77 wrote: Step 1 - Use a straight razor blade to ensure there is no adhesive residue on the windshield, as well as on the button. Step 2 - Clean both the windshield and the button with isopropyl alcohol. Let it dry for a couple of minutes before applying the adhesive. Step 3 - Put one drop (no more than that) on the button only. Step 4 - Push the button into position on the windshield and hold it perfectly still for 30 seconds. Step 5 - Allow the adhesive to cure for 24 hours before reinstalling the mirror.

This is correct in my 13 years as an auto glass installer. It all comes down to surface prep. File the back of the bracket, razor to the glass side.

At work we use the Loctite adhesive and primer kit. Make sure the surfaces are clean and it'll stay on no problem.

A lot of glass manufacturers, even OEMs, use some kind of double sided tape to attach the brackets and that stuff is terrible. Especially once mirrors started getting heaveier and heavier with backup cameras, auto dimming, compasses and other nonsense in them.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
9/16/15 10:00 a.m.

I have attached the button again. I have scrubbed the glass clean, hit it with a little sand paper and cleaned it again with alcohol. I sanded the button, cleaned it with alcohol and attached it using the Permatex kit and using blue masking tape to hold it in place while it cures. I hope that it works. Thanks for all the tips.

Braden

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/16/15 2:53 p.m.

I never had any issue with the Permatex kit. Probably done 3 or 4 of them.

Razor blade to get any junk off the window, then I use 00 steel wool on the glass with some solvent (usually brake cleaner or alcohol since they evaporate without anything left behind) on both the glass and the button.

Apply glue as directed (making sure its not too hot outside) and done. I don't know how long I let it cure before putting the mirror back on, but I just used the directions on the box.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
9/17/15 11:34 a.m.

After letting the button cure for almost a day I mounted the mirror. It is holding 18 hours later.

Jamey_from_Legal
Jamey_from_Legal Reader
9/17/15 12:07 p.m.

Tell the mirror that the windshield has been sleeping with the mirror's girlfriend.

Oh sorry, I thought you asked how to get the review mirror to stick it to the windshield. Never mind.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ou2kccJHHfRx8k59ZVhAO0gjlKDwECOOHF1KDPmo3u3KXAsP1mNjTOFRdMEQGDYn