1 2 3 ... 5
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/19/14 7:32 a.m.

So GM is recalling lots of cars for faulty ignition switches, and there are apparently 12 deaths related to the issue.

As I understand it, a heavy key ring can fall out of the ignition when the car hits a big bump, and all of the deaths were in off-road conditions.

(It wouldn't surprise me if they involved copious amounts of alcohol as well).

But how does the ignition switch kill you?

The worst thing I can think of is the engine cut off. I guess the steering could get heavy, and loss of power brakes.

But death? What happened?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/19/14 7:34 a.m.

Locks the wheel?

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/19/14 7:36 a.m.

I don't think the wheel was locked. Just a loss of power steering and power brakes due to the engine cutting off. I don't think they were having issues with the wheel locking.

One of the other arguments I've heard is that the airbag is disabled when the ignition is off. Okay, I get that. What bothered me was hearing an "expert" on the subject talk about how airbags are the primary safety measure in cars. If that's the case, what does "SRS" stand for?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
3/19/14 7:37 a.m.

it's indirect. If the ignition switch fails to 'off', the airbags don't work. It's the lack of airbag protection during the crash that was fatal in all the cases I've read up on.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
3/19/14 7:41 a.m.

They report that the cylinder turns thereby locking the wheel. And given the propensity of the electric motor failure in the column, it's any wonder why you can't steer them safely.

Now, I know I'm going to say the wrong thing here, but 12 deaths out of how many vehicles and crashes??? Plus the whole gotta have every key on ring that would make a janitor jealous.....

If anything needs to happen here is that whoever out of the lawyer/bean counter pool called this shot needs to be drawn and quartered.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
3/19/14 7:41 a.m.

Most drivers are ignorant and panic easily. This could happen on any car with a key with a big slot and a sufficiently ludicrous key ring.

3/19/14 7:43 a.m.
Gimp wrote: what does "SRS" stand for?

It is the common reply I get when I text my sons that rooms better be clean, dishwasher had better be empty and garbage out before I get home or there will be hell to pay.

"U SRS?"

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/14 7:46 a.m.

I heard it's because the airbags were deactivating at the same time. So car loses power, person gets into an accident (either because of the loss of the PS assist, losing power in the path of something or just being an easily panicked crappy driver) with no airbags.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD New Reader
3/19/14 7:47 a.m.

So all these cars were already in the process of crashing such as skidding off the road and a bump turned the airbags off before they hit a tree or whatever?

Have not read up on it, just don't understand how loss of power steering and power brakes could start a crash. As somone who used to do some hypermileing that envolved engine off coasting I know that the brake booster in my Cobalt is good for a couple braking applications when the engine is turned off before I lose power brake reserve. More then enough to bring the car to a rapid stop from 60 mph.

And without power steering the wheel still isn't that heavy.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/19/14 7:51 a.m.

From what I've read several of the accidents involved unbelted, intoxicated drivers leaving the road at high speeds.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/19/14 7:55 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: From what I've read several of the accidents involved unbelted, intoxicated drivers leaving the road at high speeds.

in which the car did us a service by removing them from the roads permanently so they wouldn't kill any of us with their drunk driving?

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
3/19/14 7:59 a.m.

berkeley it. Time to go car shopping for a pre recall one....

Everyone will be dumping these things in droves....

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
3/19/14 8:01 a.m.

Since when do airbags deactivate on key off? Though I can kinda believe this with GM bean counter wiring like the diag port and horn being on the cig fuse.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/14 8:03 a.m.
Fr3AkAzOiD wrote: So all these cars were already in the process of crashing such as skidding off the road and a bump turned the airbags off before they hit a tree or whatever? Have not read up on it, just don't understand how loss of power steering and power brakes could start a crash. As somone who used to do some hypermileing that envolved engine off coasting I know that the brake booster in my Cobalt is good for a couple braking applications when the engine is turned off before I lose power brake reserve. More then enough to bring the car to a rapid stop from 60 mph. And without power steering the wheel still isn't that heavy.

Yeah there's plenty of reserve braking in the brake booster after power loss, but in some cars the steering becomes incredibly heavy if you lose power steering. It would be a big surprise to anyone who hasn't experienced it before, at the least.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
3/19/14 8:05 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: From what I've read several of the accidents involved unbelted, intoxicated drivers leaving the road at high speeds.

so how is that GM's problem ….

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/14 8:06 a.m.

it would make sense that they could deactivate with the ignition off. Otherwise the next time somebody bumps into a car on the street, the bags could go off and total the car from a small fender bender.

And yes, people do carry too may keys, my own mother is a big offender of this. I used to do it too, only because my work keys also had the truck and work car keys on as well. for my personal rings, I keep a car key and a house key.. that is about it

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
3/19/14 8:06 a.m.

This is the car the news keeps portraying as the ignition is at fault, but sure looks like no airbag would help you in this crash, even though it looks like the bag in the wheel is blown....

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/19/14 8:12 a.m.

The kiddo's ION3 is involved, we got the notice the other day. I already know exactly what causes the problem. See the 'run' position in this graphic?

The key has a long slot in the head instead of a central hole.

That means a heavy keyring will slide to the lowest and most rearward part of the key and yes a sharp jolt can flip the ignition OFF. The real fix is to have the key vertical in the run position, that way a bouncing keyring won't easily shut the ignition off. She has a light keyring anyway, just the ignition key, the house key and the keyless remote with an aluminum butterfly.

FWIW, a LOT of cars are made this way: the Trooper's key angles forward but not as much as the ION's, my newsed Xterra does the same. The Jensen does not; the key is nearly vertical in the RUN position. And also in the FWIW dept, back in the 1908's I saw Tauruses do the exact same thing for the exact same reason: huge heavy keyrings.

3/19/14 8:21 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote:

I think this damage is just from the key switching off. I hear that the car was stationary at the time.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
3/19/14 8:23 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Heh... Then what hit it? A train?

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
3/19/14 8:34 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: The kiddo's ION3 is involved, we got the notice the other day. I already know exactly what causes the problem. See the 'run' position in this graphic? The key has a long slot in the head instead of a central hole. That means a heavy keyring will slide to the lowest and most rearward part of the key and yes a sharp jolt can flip the ignition OFF. The real fix is to have the key vertical in the run position, that way a bouncing keyring won't easily shut the ignition off. She has a light keyring anyway, just the ignition key, the house key and the keyless remote with an aluminum butterfly. FWIW, a LOT of cars are made this way: the Trooper's key angles forward but not as much as the ION's, my newsed Xterra does the same. The Jensen does not; the key is nearly vertical in the RUN position. And also in the FWIW dept, back in the 1908's I saw Tauruses do the exact same thing for the exact same reason: huge heavy keyrings.

dang ….. you're older than I thought … well preserved though

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
3/19/14 9:23 a.m.

Loss of power at the wrong time can be destructive.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
3/19/14 9:29 a.m.

I've been using an HHR as a company vehicle for a while now. It's under the recall. We're on a list at the dealer to get an appointment when they get the parts. In the mean time, I drive with just the key in, key ring in my pocket.

Just a couple of observations:

The steering has electric assist, not conventional hydraulics. The power steering in mine failed a couple of times on one trip, which turned out to be the motor. No harm done, no lock up, just a sudden lack of assist. I suppose that could contribute to a crash, but I think it'd be more likely in a low-speed situation than at highway speeds. Locking the steering is a lot more serious.

The ignition switch also has an interlock with the shifter (automatic versions), to prevent removing the key while in gear. Unfortunately, a known fault in the console sometimes makes the ignition switch refuse to give up the key no matter what gear the shifter is in. There's an awkward work-around that requires probing blindly into the steering column with a long, skinny finger to find and press a small button.

I haven't had any issue with the switch turning itself off. Not saying it couldn't happen. I do have a fair number of keys on the keyring, and I do drive on some rough roads and parking lots. Ever been in the oil field? If the key ring has a tendency to bounce around turn the key to "OFF" and lock the steering, wouldn't a reshaped key with a round hole instead of a slot reduce the leverage and therefore be an improvement?

Chevy and other companies have contributed to the heavy key ring situation themselves. Using the key to unlock the door will result in the alarm sounding when the door is opened. So, one has to use the fob to unlock the door. Most drivers will keep the key and fob on the same key ring. Now, if one has more than one car, and, say, a home and maybe an office that also use keys ...

I haven't given up on the HHR, but I'm hoping a pickup becomes available soon ...

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
3/19/14 9:33 a.m.
iceracer wrote: Loss of power at the wrong time can be destructive.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
3/19/14 9:42 a.m.

Curmudgeon pretty much hit the nail on the head.

While the design could be better, the consumer with the 15lb key ring has a lot to do with the problem.

While working at a Chevrolet dealership i was amazed at how heavy some peoples key rings were which led to some odd issues related to the ignition cylinder. Many times i would include in the story for the repair to have less weight on the keys. Some people just dont get it.

On the flip side, this recall as well as the electric power steering motor recalls were pretty quick to do and i kinda liked em haha

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SP0ZlgqYi5nakZoVJvHCuHIh2aol4hlQ2fzZV7p9jgXqmzQgkgZsS9cxeMhVWxnA