JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/26/24 12:52 p.m.

There’s a moment in the life cycle of any product or company when marketplace inertia takes over. The brand transforms from representing a mere product into something bigger, more iconic and more culturally important. The message becomes more about being part of a community.

We’ve seen it happen plenty. Apple, Red Bull, Nike, Rolex–these brands are beloved not just for …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/26/24 12:54 p.m.

Does anyone here with kids (or large dogs, both are pretty similar in size and temperament) own an Elantra N? Does it work out for you and your family?

Asking for a friend...

umarov
umarov
3/26/24 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I have a 4 yr old and I use my Elantra N for daycare trips and just go anywhere. Rear is very roomy and can fit rear facing car seat as well. I haven't tried that. Rear facing one is in my wife's car. It works very well for us. I have the DCT. My wife can drive it easily. She actually enjoyed driving it. 

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
3/26/24 1:44 p.m.

Good on Hyundai for investing in its future like this.  

There was a time when I would have never considered this brand for anything.  Today, I can't imagine not cross-shopping their N products with others in the relatively affordable performance category.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/26/24 1:46 p.m.

In reply to umarov :

Thank you for the insight. My little one is 3 and still rear-facing. We'll also likely have a foster baby (0-1) in the near future, also rear-facing.

rjracin240
rjracin240 New Reader
3/26/24 1:56 p.m.

So cool to hear the story of Jahlaya Tidwell, imagine Hyundai is going to get a lot of positive advertisement from this young lady. 

Cool to see another manufacturer putting on an event like this.

umarov
umarov New Reader
3/26/24 3:39 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

It is definitely possible to make it work. Trunk has decent space for strollers and bags

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/26/24 4:09 p.m.
rjracin240 said:

So cool to hear the story of Jahlaya Tidwell, imagine Hyundai is going to get a lot of positive advertisement from this young lady. 

Cool to see another manufacturer putting on an event like this.

Yeah the reality is that almost all the manufacturers have programs like this, but they're usually heavily gate-kept. Either they're premium experiences with premium pricetags, or they're experiences reserved for deep legacy customers with long histories of patronage. 

Hyundai flipping the script and opening the model to Joe and Jane average is a pretty rad move. Yeah the demand is going to be a lot higher, but the folks who are pulling the golden tickets are going to end up being a lot more relevant to al of our experiences.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/26/24 4:46 p.m.

Genesis just announced the Magma concept too, which is akin to Huyndai's N division.

genesis magma

Winfield Schmitt
Winfield Schmitt New Reader
3/26/24 7:42 p.m.

Please come to Thompson in CT! Got down to a 1:29.5 there on my first track day with my '22 Veloster N last year. Completely stock these cars are ready!🙌

Bluesunshine
Bluesunshine New Reader
3/27/24 2:16 a.m.

Very smart of Hyundai. Not only is there another market that is virtually untapped from the usual crowd. but Hyundai realize that the track is not accessible to many people and having a driving instructor and an experience is all it takes. I faked my way onto a track last year with a 2020 Snell helmet, a 2023 Elantra N, and a mouthpiece. I had a good day bc the car is incredibly responsive and forgiving. I looked the part and I think I am a good amateur driver but no one knew I had zero track experience and zero legitimate business out there, according to some people's standards. . That said, getting people access to the track is the smartest thing Hyundai could do to manufacture a future loyal fan base for those amazing N cars.

turboshadow
turboshadow New Reader
3/27/24 8:14 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

My wife drivers ours most of the time for school pick up and drop off, the kiddos are 4 and 6 both in forward facing with plenty of room.  Rear facing wasn't an issue as long as the front seat person isn't a giant.  The N actually has more rear room as the front seats are thinner then a normal Elantra. 

matlok
matlok None
3/27/24 12:37 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I got mine specifically because it has good room for car seats. We have two Clek Fllo's, one forward facing, one rear, and it still affords enough legroom for a 6'2" driver. The only real downside is that Hyundai didn't include rear air vents on the N (weight, cost) but they can easily be added back with about $240 of factory KDM parts.

DavyZ
DavyZ New Reader
3/27/24 1:50 p.m.

Kia had a similar shindig for their Stinger when it came out. A friend and I signed up for the experience that took place on a raceway parking lot in Charlotte.  We were able to test either an Audi A6(?), Porsche Panamera, and some other cars against the Stinger.  The whole thing was less than thrilling due to the hesitancy of my "instructor" to allow me to do anything more than just Sunday drive the Stinger through the cones.  What gives?  Some comparison indeed!  Truly disappointing from my point of view.  Anyway, the Stinger is a nice car, but I'm unsure what it is capable of.  Might look at Hyundai's N cars to see if they are satisfying to drive more than just casually.  

Petercho2813
Petercho2813 New Reader
3/27/24 3:24 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Little different for my case. I'm 24, have a lot of friends without cars. I'm always driving everyone. 

All of my friends are tall (5"11 or taller) athletically built. 4 people in the car with gym bags in their laps fit comfortably. 

The Elantra N's combined front/rear legroom matches an accord. Some websites don't have accurate legroom listed, but the Elantra is a very large compact, and the bucket seats add an extra 2.5 inches of legroom. The trunk is huge too. 

The rear strut bar is also a non issue. It's 4 10mm bolts.

https://youtu.be/4Z2U-lBteSQ?si=CneO_lfFRi6gainy

You can cut out the plastic trim that covers the bolts. Keep a 10mm socket in the glove box. The strut bar can be taken out anywhere anytime in 1 minute. Really helps. 

Imo, should be more than enough for a small family 

Mezus
Mezus New Reader
3/30/24 9:06 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I just bought an Elantra N and have a 1 and 4 year old. It has a ton of room for car seats. Much more than my previous F31 3 series wagon. You really shouldn't have any problem, even with the rear facing.  I've taken it to two track days and left in the car seats - it's a crowd pleaser.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a1gOsu2LlhmpcSMoWhc3smUSo88Pjo0dFVtKMJ9JYfLHuujGqoO3UNzMf5fUtO7Y