David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/6/24 11:08 a.m.

This counts as an outlaw, right? 

This EV-swapped Porsche 356 is currently on Bring a Trailer. Auction ends later on Sunday. Propulsion comes from a NetGain HyPer 9 electric motor. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/6/24 11:10 a.m.

Auction ends in three and a half hours.

Current bid: $30,000.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/24 11:19 a.m.

Cool car, would be even cooler if it came with the removed original drivetrain.

It'll be interesting to see what someone's willing to pay for this as it sounds like it still needs some work to make it a bit more usable. Like adding the missing seals to make it more waterproof.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/6/24 11:27 a.m.

I have very mixed feelings on doing this to a classic car, depending upon mindset. If the owner bought it with no drive train and just wanted something fun - not an investment - then sure. OTOH, if he removed a perfectly-working number-matching Porsche drive train, yeah, not so much. I have no idea what 356s are worth, but wonder if the selling price will end up being the same as it's a 356 with no drive train at all...

Of course, it doesn't matter what I nor anyone else think!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/24 11:30 a.m.

In reply to kb58 :

I'm seeing drive quality stock 356s starting around 60k-ish and I think with this one it's really a question if someone wants it really bad or not.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/6/24 11:31 a.m.

The fact that it's an actual Porsche is interesting.  As noted, likely a better investment to go with the original drivetrain.  The lack of interior is a bit confusing.  I could see that in a kit version, but for a real one, a real interior seems more appropriate.

It is a good test of what will likely be a trend of converting old cars, and may at some point almost become a necessity.  What cars are best for conversion?  Old big cars (more room for batteries) or small ones (fewer batteries, smaller motor needed)?

As far as a car in general? A 356 at this point is more of a mess around occasionally type car, and that is certainly appropriate for electric and maybe even better, at this point.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/6/24 12:19 p.m.

This car is an ex race car and it seems that unless the car has a great race history the market treats ex race cars as "hacked up". I've noticed a 240Z racer with spares will sell for the price of a rusty starter kit project.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3oksI1GsA2Soo3WJD05RZ6QuQNLVF5Jd7rLxqdyNtW5u6Jt4xNTVeJxCR5HBeRNE