Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
9/20/17 6:44 p.m.

Just eyeing auction sites and found a mazdaspeed miata coming up for auction soon. Its pure sale so technically can go for whatever the bid is. It doesn't look that bad but its missing headlights/tail lights etc which makes me wonder if it was already bought and partially repaired and then put up for auction again

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
9/20/17 6:50 p.m.

Probably bought and partially parted out.  It depends on what all is there, and how badly bent it is.  Diff and axles are unique to that flavor of Miata, as is a bit of other stuff.  It would make a sweet Exocet

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
9/20/17 6:57 p.m.

I'd probably try and use it as a cheap track car or something. Would have to drive a couple hours to see it in person before it goes up to auction next week

https://www.copart.com/lot/38887157/

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/20/17 7:15 p.m.

It's not worth the 6k that the current bid is at. 

Carson
Carson Dork
9/20/17 7:26 p.m.

In reply to mndsm :

The bid is at $175. But not live auction yet.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
9/20/17 7:49 p.m.

I see aftermarket bits under the hood - bigger intercooler?  I know headlights are expensive to replace, the MSM were special I think.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
9/20/17 8:13 p.m.

The 6k is their estimated retail value not the bid

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/20/17 8:17 p.m.

In reply to Carson :

I read the wrong thing. Saw something say 5996. 

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
9/20/17 8:34 p.m.

Some sales are on approval where if its low the person selling can say no, since its a pure sale technically it would sell for the 175 bucks if no one bid on it.

What seems to happen is a lot of foreign bidders bid an amount just for scrap etc

JTNWEvo
JTNWEvo New Reader
9/20/17 8:41 p.m.

The broken lights are probably in the trunk. I've purchased several cars from Copart and usually find "missing" parts in the trunk. Body shop takes them off for inspection and once its a total loss there is no reason to re-install them.

Looks good to me. I would fix the front and live with the quarter panel damage.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/17 8:42 p.m.

The MSM headlights are unique in that they have black inside instead of silver. They're dimensionally identical to other 2001-05 headlights. This makes them desirable to a certain type of customer but also fairly easy to replace if you are not that customer. They also have a very high mortality rate in accidents like this one.

I don't think it's been partially repaired. You can see light damage to one front fender and deep damage to one rear, both of which probably would have taken the bumper cover off at their respective end. The passenger headlight (which is not an MSM unit, but may have been replaced due to clouding) survived because the impact was on the driver's side.

That's an FM complete high performance intake in there. Can't see enough to tell if it's got our downpipe/IC/exhaust on it. The steering wheel has been replaced. At 155k that could be simply the stock one getting torn up.

Might make a pretty fun track car. Definitely a good Exocet donor as long as you're okay with the itty bitty MSM baby turbo. Can't give a value estimate, though.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
9/20/17 9:39 p.m.

Well value estimate enough that its probably worth throwing a 1500-2k softball bid at?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/17 10:10 p.m.

Heck, that trans and diff is probably worth $1500 easily on the used market.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
9/20/17 10:45 p.m.

Then it being pure sale maybe Ill watch the auction and if it goes stupid cheap I'll jump on it even if its to pass it on to someone else for challenge money

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
9/21/17 2:23 p.m.

It has probably been wrecked a few times.  Wrong headlight on there makes me think it was previously damaged, rather than swapping to different headlights.  Just the parts are worth a few grand at least.  The lip on the front is unique to those cars, but is just screwed on to a standard Miata nose, same thing on the back diffuser.  If you have any sort of bodywork skills, you could pull that rear quarter out and patch it up.  Overall looks pretty solid to me.  Pretty light damage to be totalled, wonder if it has suspension stuff bent.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
9/21/17 8:14 p.m.

I actually pulled the carfax most of its life it had one owner

http://www.autovin.de/report/carfax/P5MDRT42NGOLV0P1?lang=en

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9BOtqwXoTvrDs74vsAecYrVO22oaofRA6arkFbtkkfZ3PZqp3y7lFdDi3we1qDzt