1 2
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/15/11 8:52 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Although, the nose and rear name badge-stickers are correct. These typically never get replaced after a repaint and the correct stickers have not been available for years. It could be a really old repaint.

When I had mine resprayed, I found replacement stickers on E-Bay that are exact copies of the originals. Came in a complete set in fact. (I put the Toyota on the left side as a little inside nod that it was not original, but the Earl Scheib paint job also gives it away pretty quickly! )

I saw a an '85 on Ebay within the last two years that was factory-fresh, could not tell from new, and was listed at more than the original sticker price. So it depends on your want level.

zipty842
zipty842 Reader
4/15/11 12:25 p.m.

In reply to Tyler H:

85s all had auto climate control in the US

EDIT: I would pay that much if it was still in the original super red. being repainted is a big red flag to me. Especially after knowing what I had to go through to make my AW11 what it was.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
4/15/11 5:09 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: My experience has been that if you get a car that's rarely been driven, and then start driving it, things start to fail.

Quoted for truth. Though a FAR less cool car, I had this exact same issue with my first car, a 1982 Pontiac 6000LE. I got it as a high school graduation present in 1992 with just under 25k original miles on it. It was my grandmother's car, and she didn't drive much. Within the first year I had it, I had to put an almost entirely new front end on it (there's no such thing as a "free" car).

My dad, of course, insisted that I was driving like a total nutcase and that doing so was causing all of this wear, tear, and damage on the car. My mechanic was a local firefighter who did all the work on the town's police cruisers. He knows what hard driving will do to a car. And he said there was no way that hard driving caused my problems. In fact, I haven't had anywhere near as much trouble with cars that I HAVE driven fast and hard, much faster and harder than I ever drove that Pontiac! (Thus proving that the answer is Miata... )

imirk
imirk Reader
4/15/11 7:26 p.m.

In reply to White_and_Nerdy:

Or at the very least not Pontiac ...

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
4/15/11 8:04 p.m.

For an '82 Gooole, the parts failure likely had less to do with the 10 years of sitting and more to do with the fact that it was an '82 Gooole of which many were amazingly craptacular.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bNPeGgDumvvoScHwys2bnWIA70yVgq8gaRiCXZb5e7mTeShoIdf7Lf809PpKMzvo