AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/15/24 1:43 p.m.

Mrs AAZCD drives a 2003 Element and it's feeling like time to replace it soon. In the last couple years I've helped my adult kids buy brand new cars. Tesla, Hyundai Palisade, and my youngest just got a PHEV Prius. I like their cars, but not for me. Nannies and all of the surveillance equipment that goes into current models is a big turn-off. How new can I go or what makes/models should I be looking at to at least minimize the data being sent to the AI mother ship of a big multinational corporation.

I still prefer physical buttons to touch screens. Don't need built-in navigation or phone connectivity. Do not want to own a car with active On-Star or anything "Google". Back up camera is nice. Manual transmission not required, but that's what we're used to. Mrs AAZCD doesn't even like to use old-school cruise control, so modern versions that are difficult to disable are a no-go.

I'm not looking for a discussion of the benefits of a new model or fights about privacy and modern tech - I've read those threads. Should we just stick with the Element and sit on the front porch with a shotgun? Again: How new can I go or what makes/models should I be looking at? Gracias.

Puddy46
Puddy46 HalfDork
10/15/24 1:52 p.m.

I think it kind of depends on what segment you're looking at.  The luxury sedan market adapts tech a lot sooner than the work truck segment.  My initial guess would be somewhere in the 2010 to 2015 range will get you what you need. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
10/15/24 1:59 p.m.

Why not a newer Element? Will have the camera and none of the other stuff. If that's not the plan, 2015ish will be your cut off. A 2015 HRV or CRV is your unicorn. 

10/15/24 2:01 p.m.

In reply to Puddy46 :

Good point. We are not looking for luxury. This is a grocery-getter that can fit a couple grandkids or dogs. A durable interior rather than anything fancy. 4-door is best or 2-door hatch that has decent access for a rear car-seat. A small truck that can seat 4 would even be good.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/15/24 2:01 p.m.

In reply to Puddy46 :

I think that year range sounds about right.

Picking lower trims can likely help, too.

10/15/24 2:04 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

It might be a new Element. Before posting this I was searching for a lower mile '09 or newer and they are pretty hard to find. Maybe worth a fly and drive.

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
10/15/24 2:14 p.m.

A newer Element sounds like it might be a good solution. Maybe a Nissan Xterra as an alternative? Still keeps a lot of the no frills just an SUV vibe but I am not sure what the market on those looks like these days. 

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
10/15/24 2:20 p.m.

I think right prior to covid is when the crazy screen anti button models started to take off. That's for the new model introductions though, so there might be models that are newer that haven't gone nuts yet. I personally wouldn't want a covid car with all the weirdness that was happening in production. I'd say 2020 cut off, but There were some 2018,2019 refreshes you may want to avoid. I'd probably be looking for something introduces in the mid-2010's and then a few years into production. 2017-2018 introductions was when stuff like included carplay, etc started to pick up.

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
10/15/24 2:28 p.m.

A 2011 base model Tacoma is the newest I have driven that didn't have all the annoying extra technology.  Personally the newest vehicle I have owned was 2001 and it was enough of a disaster I didn't keep it long.  I have an 00 Boxster that I mostly drive but I actually want to replace it with an older car whenever it's no longer worth keeping.  It has been oddly reliable for a 25 year old German car with nearly 180k miles and no real maintenance records though lol.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/15/24 2:53 p.m.

As long as your "don't need" list isn't a "specifically exclude," you may want to check out a 2023 or before Mazda.  I don't know how/if the 2024 infotainment update affected the interaction, so I can't speak to that.   For reference, I have a 2021 Mx-5 and the interface is the same as my sisters' 2023 Mazda 3.  Disclaimer is that I do use the crap out of the Android Auto, but there's no reason you have to ever plug a phone into it.

You can use the stereo 100% from the steering wheel or from the dash knob.   Real volume up/down on the wheel or a spin-knob on the console/dash.  Same with radio preset up/down on the wheel or left/right on the knob.  

My 2021 does have lane assist, but if you turn it off once, it's off forever.  To turn it off, there's a real button on the left of the dash board.   

Same thing with Auto head lights/auto high beams.  You can completely manually control them from stalk and it'll respond as if it were made in 1983.

The Mx-5s have too small of a windscreen to fit a full adaptive cruise, so mine is old-school.  Same layout as every cruise control from the past 40 years.  You may need to shop down a trim level to avoid adaptive cruise, I'm not sure how it works on the  3s, CX-30s and such.  

I know the 3s are available in with a manual, I'm on not sure if the CX-30s and up offer that, or only come auto.   I've only seen autos, but they're decently fun for what they are.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/15/24 3:10 p.m.

Just a data point...

In the year 2022 3G cellular networks were turned off in the US.  Some early "high-tech" cars like Leaf and Volt were initially built to communicate via 3G.  As of 2022, they, and early OnStar no longer can communicate.  

Nissan Xterra is a good example of an "old design" that was still offered may years making it generally outdated and old-school for its final years. 

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
10/15/24 3:52 p.m.

2018 Toyota RAV4 XLE

No Apple CarPlay or Android 

HVAC buttons

Some radio functions are touchscreen but not volume

No satellite type system for communication with central command

Does have a back up camera

Cruise control is off unless you turn it on. It does have smart cruise if you enable it (maintain a following distance and brake if needed).

Has lane control which can be left off (we do)

Has side view mirror indicators for vehicles in blindspots - I like this feature and don't know if it can be turned off

2019 RAV4 was a refresh 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
10/15/24 4:31 p.m.

I'll suggest the second generation Scion xB if you can find a lower mileage one. It's a Toyota...it will outlast Cliff Richards.

10/15/24 4:37 p.m.

Great info from the hive. I'll start the discussion with Mrs AAZCD tonight.

To clarify, a touch screen stereo and the ability to connect a phone are not bad, just not requirements. The main concern is having the choice to be connected or Not.

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
10/15/24 4:49 p.m.

Not really the market segment you're after I don't think, but Wranglers are hella butt simple, have buttons, no nannies, no assists.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/24 12:37 p.m.

My 06 Express van is fully decked out with nearly every option, but it doesn't have adaptive cruise, lane departure, auto climate control, or even a tach.  Contrast that with my 97 Lincoln Mk8 that came standard with climate control, auto sensing headlights, power sunroof, heated seats, and adjustable air suspension.

So, it's not always how new, but for many segments I think late 90s (OBD2 and up) through early 2000s is the sweet spot.

10/16/24 2:35 p.m.

I opened the conversation with Mrs AAZCD and it didn't go as expected. I had thought of replacing her Element and she had been thinking we might replace my TDI Touareg. Both cars do exactly what each of us want them for.

"There's nothing wrong with my Element. Why would you think that? ..." She was actually a bit angry that I suggested it.

I still think that a 2014 to 2019-ish car would be a good idea. I'll just have to thin down the gen2 Prius and Boxster population a bit before we get there. Maybe January.

Mazda 3, Scion, Xterra, 21st Century Van as a alternative tow vehicle?  Kia/Hyundai?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/24 2:57 p.m.

2010-2015: I like cars very much for the amount of tec but still having a tactile feel to the controles of things.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/24 8:29 p.m.

Kia/Hyundai have been having some troubles (I'm told) of late.  GMs in that era are not a very good bet.  Mom had a 2016 Acadia that is a flaming pile of crap, Dad has an 08 Duramax that is a constant trouble, and Mom had a 2010 Caddy SRX (or similar... CDX?  PCP?  small crossover) that was also a non stop headache.

My father has owned nothing but GMs since college, and he's considering an Acura or Lexus to replace mom's Acadia.

TravisTheHuman
TravisTheHuman MegaDork
10/16/24 8:40 p.m.

My daily is a 2019 and has none of the tech or nannys mentioned.  No touch screen.  It does have a backup camera though.

I think it just depends on model and options.

My 2019 Hyundai had lane assist (that was easily disable) and CarPlay/AA, but still had buttons for controls and no other features.

As far as I know I've never had a vehicle with a connection to the mothership.

In conclusion you should probably buy a car from the early 90s to avoid ABS also, load that shotgun, and get nice and comfy on the porch.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
04jj9qJ8aXGJYM2bkOmJFxgMeZDu4YzhQ4IvPn2mqgHvAO8rE7wH7CciBVndm4nr