1 2
darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
9/28/23 12:15 p.m.

Driving (on public roads) is a social contract; I preach this constantly. Teaching my kids to drive over the last few years, I've given them some very basic philosophical tenets about this social contract:

1) the primary goal is to avoid contact with anything or anyone (this fundamentally covers almost all safety concerns. You don't hit anything, safety is taken care of generally);

2) as long as no one is hitting things (they shouldn't), no harm, no foul (this helps maintain perspective and avoid getting road rage);

3) remember that we ALL have to work together to get wherever we're going; make room for others, drive predictably, drive safely (this helps being mindful and engaged while driving).

That's it; everything else is manageable. If more people gave some thought to the idea of driving as a social contract where everyone is equally responsible to contribute towards everyone's success in the effort, we'd all be much better off.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/23 1:00 p.m.

In reply to darkbuddha :

The primary goal is to get from one place to the other in a timely, efficient, and safe manner. 

As I stated on the previous page, if half the people are more interested in their phones, GPS, and the big screen on the dash than in getting from one place to the other in a timely, efficient, and safe manner, there is no working together. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/28/23 1:45 p.m.

From my motorcycle days (and reading all the books about how to ride safely), I drive what I like to call "aggressively defensive."

IE, I assume all vehicles are not paying attention and are actively looking to kill me. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GUGE4u3s8oZaeFjXGF8vybMjjGXt0gKSZX2TAidaUuwKAljq9an63kr5r4cNfy3m