1 2 3
Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
1/31/24 10:00 a.m.
STM317 said:

In reply to Puddy46 :

But no factory warranty, which GM seems to typically honor with the 1LE stuff as long as you follow the maintenance schedule.

Thinking I can get one at 40k still under another 12 months of warrenty and then should be able to extend the GM warrenty an extra 3-4 years for pretty cheap...

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
1/31/24 10:45 a.m.

There is a really well-built c6 race car for around $37k for sale on the corvetteforum.   

although $40k for a street-legal warrantied 1LE seems pretty great

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
1/31/24 4:49 p.m.
gsettle said:

Not sure on the other cars, but most helmets wont fit  through the windows in the Camaro... Might be an issue if you crash and cant get the doors open to get out. You'd have to jack around taking your helmet off before you could get out.

I never would have thought to look for something like that, new terror unlocked. Luckily I like old boxy cars where this isnt an issue but modern chassis... hrmmm

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
1/31/24 7:35 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

There is a really well-built c6 race car for around $37k for sale on the corvetteforum.   

although $40k for a street-legal warrantied 1LE seems pretty great

Already have a very well built ls engined race car, transitioning to a more dealer maintained dual duty seems appealing, else my current racecar will stay here at home.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
2/1/24 10:10 a.m.
jfryjfry said:

Randy at Laguna:
C6 z06. 1:34.33

C6 gs.  1:38.3

c7 z06. 1:33.1

c7 gs. 1:35.6

the ls7 can be fixed   Not too much $$ for the heads but the rods would be more   But not everyone has issues    I fixed my heads and so far it's running great even with 90k miles on it  

but the Camaro would probably be a better street car  

out of curiousity, is there a base narrow body numbers for the C6/C7?  i didn't realize the z06 was soo much quicker than the GS.  

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
2/13/24 9:44 a.m.

Welp. Made an offer on a gen 6 ZL1. Apparently I like buying gas, tires and brake pads. Wish me luck....

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
2/13/24 11:29 a.m.
Olemiss540 said:

Welp. Made an offer on a gen 6 ZL1. Apparently I like buying gas, tires and brake pads. Wish me luck....

and that sweet sweet sound of a whining supercharger down the front straight :) hope the offer works out and please post pictures

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
2/13/24 11:49 a.m.

Manual?

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
2/13/24 12:05 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

Manual?

Yup.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
2/13/24 12:06 p.m.
ClearWaterMS said:
Olemiss540 said:

and that sweet sweet sound of a whining supercharger down the front straight :) hope the offer works out and please post pictures

Will update if/when a deal gets done.....

Initial take was a NO, then a phonecall from them an hour later to talk about how it's already at cost :-) 

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
2/14/24 6:39 a.m.
fidelity101 said:
gsettle said:

Not sure on the other cars, but most helmets wont fit  through the windows in the Camaro... Might be an issue if you crash and cant get the doors open to get out. You'd have to jack around taking your helmet off before you could get out.

I never would have thought to look for something like that, new terror unlocked. Luckily I like old boxy cars where this isnt an issue but modern chassis... hrmmm

Again, if you hit something hard enough to warrant going out the window, it won't matter what you're in if it's fairly modern.  The side curtain airbags aren't gonna let you go out that way anyways until they deflate.  At that point, after all the body cladding covering them has been blown off, you get more room, nearly two inches from what I can tell by eyeballing.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
2/22/24 2:48 p.m.

Close the deal on the ZL1 tomorrow. Already had a track alignment completed, ordered some Apex wheels and AR1 tires, and rotors/DTC-60s in prep for Barber next month..... Will post pics once shes in the driveway. 

Going to chase some PCA guys around :-)

BMW LS Swapped racecar for sale ad coming to a neighborhood near you. 

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
2/22/24 3:58 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:
ClearWaterMS said:
Olemiss540 said:

Will update if/when a deal gets done.....

Initial take was a NO, then a phonecall from them an hour later to talk about how it's already at cost :-) 

It's funny how that works, they don't consider market value when they have a cost involved but never consider your costs when it comes to trade in value.  

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
2/23/24 4:51 p.m.

She's in the driveway! Definitely need to source a stock muffler for NCM..... Haven't made it past 2/3 throttle yet, going to take some courage to work up to speed at the next DE :-).

Turns out it is NOT a 1LE, just a body kit on a stock ZL1. Thought they may have removed the hood wrap (since it was advertised as a 1LE), but no such luck. My local dealer had some good news, certified pre-owned so powertrain warranty is still active until 4/2025. Plenty of time to shake down the powertrain before having to go on my own atleast. Only reason I pulled the trigger after the snakey move on the mis-print ad.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/24 7:37 p.m.
fidelity101 said:
gsettle said:

you rally an FC RX-7, I think you'll be fine smiley

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
2/23/24 8:33 p.m.

Congrats!  You're going to love it.

Before tracking it, I'd suggest taking a look at this thread:  https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564965

The first time we tracked ours, we had a problem with it cutting power, eventually diagnosed as an improperly bled intercooler circuit.  This seemed to be a common issue with ZL1s and C7 ZO6 on track due to the poor design of the system by GM.  An aftermarket surge tank solves the problem relatively easily and inexpensively.  Problem is discussed in the above thread and also discusses my install of the surge tank.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
2/23/24 9:36 p.m.
Rodan said:

Congrats!  You're going to love it.

Before tracking it, I'd suggest taking a look at this thread:  https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564965

The first time we tracked ours, we had a problem with it cutting power, eventually diagnosed as an improperly bled intercooler circuit.  This seemed to be a common issue with ZL1s and C7 ZO6 on track due to the poor design of the system by GM.  An aftermarket surge tank solves the problem relatively easily and inexpensively.  Problem is discussed in the above thread and also discusses my install of the surge tank.

Ordered! Thanks!

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
2/24/24 8:47 a.m.
Olemiss540 said:

Turns out it is NOT a 1LE, just a body kit on a stock ZL1. 

What do you miss out on without the 1LE options?  Is it all stuff you would upgrade anyway?  

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/24/24 8:49 a.m.

IIRC the ZL1 1LE had spherical suspension bushings rather than rubber.  My understanding is that the spherical bushings sharpened up the handling on track a little bit, but were fairly miserable to drive on the street.  And I think the standard ZL1 got a lot of the goodies that were included in the SS 1LE package.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
2/24/24 9:09 a.m.

Yup.  Spherical bushings, spool-valve shocks, and reversable upper strut mounts for additional camber.  And the aero bits and black wrapped hood.

Jah29
Jah29 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/24/24 10:25 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Also rear subframe bushings are solid metal instead of rubber.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/24 10:46 a.m.
Jah29 said:

In reply to Rodan :

Also rear subframe bushings are solid metal instead of rubber.

I remember a conversation I overheard at a Michigan motorsports event, where a GM chassis engineer was talking about how styling insisted on huge wheels on the 5th gen Camaro, which meant they needed to run huge gooshy bushings everywhere in order to keep NVH acceptable, which led to handling and wheel hop problems...

What is interesting is that Subaru has been running "pillow ball" bushings in the front and rear suspension of turbo Imprezas for over a decade now, first in STIs but later all WRXs, and they don't seem to have NVH issues.  They also solid mount the subframes.  Wonder if the difference is that they don't have 50lb wheels to roll on.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
2/24/24 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

The stock wheels/tires were over 60lb per corner on our 2018 ZL1...  even the 'light' aftermarket stuff was over 50lbs.  Swapping out was a serious workout.  Makes me really appreciate swapping wheels/tires on our Miata!

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
7/25/24 8:38 p.m.

Well, been a while so wanted to update. 7 track days on her so far, all while being doubled up with myself and a codriver.

Absolute rocketship. PTM alows you to pretty much drive the car fast no matter how ham fisted you are coming out of the corner. Hides it's weight well everywhere except the braking zones and the brake pedal could use some feel/firmness to it. Steering feels good, she turns in well with little or no real understeer, and squats like me after a week of bean burritos when you start to straighten the wheel, even if you are a gear or two off. Seats are pretty dang good for a stock bolstered seat at holding you in place. Zero cooling issues to speak of and been hammer reliable so far. Magnaride shocks soak up curbing with ease, work well and are smooth, but dream of one day going firmer to tighten her up a bit more (possibly some 1LE takeoffs or a DSC controller).

Rear visibility (especially with the rear tint and wing) sucks donkeybals, she drinks gas like I drink beer, and first set of front tires (inner wear) and front rotors (heat cracking) are done skis even though the first set of pads has about 40% left. 

Next to replace the front AR1s, look into some cooling, fluid changeouts, and get ready for some cooler air feeding the charger with fall coming soon.

Anyone have a camaro6 username can help a brother out? Need to buy some parts off some folks and could use a facilitator to get me in touch with a few sellers/emails since apparently the admins are doable. Been trying to register for 8 months but nada....

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
7/26/24 9:43 a.m.

let me ask you this, when you consider the cost of maintaining (and fueling) a tow rig vs just paying for consumables in that car, how do they compare?  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iYHvJf54Ns0SvQtVeeKOJhIXgay8v3PkKZ5FMtDtDn8ue5xLA3tuprwTwYh7r2xE