1 2
EvanR
EvanR Reader
6/27/12 9:51 p.m.

How is this not too long? Eighty feet is the legal limit. The trailer is 53'. so a tractor would need to be <27' to the kingpin. This looks way longer than that, with that long snout.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
6/27/12 10:08 p.m.
EvanR wrote: How is this not too long? Eighty feet is the legal limit. The trailer is 53'. so a tractor would need to be <27' to the kingpin. This looks way longer than that, with that long snout.

he also wants to put some aero stuff off the back of the trailer, too.. i've seen a few trailers running down the interstate with some sort of angled skirts off the back of the trailer to smooth out airflow over the end of the trailer and i always wonder how they can legally do that..

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/12 10:59 p.m.

I have been hearing rumors of them allowing 63 foot trailers soon

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
6/27/12 11:37 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: What would you think if you saw this coming up from behind in your rear view mirror...

If I was in a Miata I would get into a head on with it, wiggle up the inter-cooler tubes, and make cute babies with it that would eventually emerge from the behemoth at 55 per- Ready to Roll.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
6/27/12 11:41 p.m.

But seriously. There are many routs that are strictly from big yard to big yard. It is more than a niche- we will see something like this in production.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
6/28/12 12:24 a.m.

wonder how that low nose will deal with plowing thru a foot of heavy, wet snow..

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
6/28/12 5:04 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: What would you think if you saw this coming up from behind in your rear view mirror...

If done in black...

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/28/12 5:36 a.m.

I've got to give the guy some credit, the numbers are impressive. Multiply that by the entire fleet of US trucks and you'd have impressive gains in efficiency. Forget the 13 MPG, even adding a MPG or two over their existing fuel economy would be impressive!

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
6/28/12 7:41 a.m.

That is freaking awesome. I've got two friends who are engineers at Volvo/MACK powertrain. I'm going to show this to them.

mad_machine
6/28/12 7:48 a.m.
dj06482 wrote: I've got to give the guy some credit, the numbers are impressive. Multiply that by the entire fleet of US trucks and you'd have impressive gains in efficiency. Forget the 13 MPG, even adding a MPG or two over their existing fuel economy would be impressive!

Considering the one box truck we had the place I used to work at could only get 11mpg... that is impressive. I wonder what you could do with one of those small 24foot box trucks?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/28/12 8:02 a.m.

So, when can we take the word "hypermiling" out back and shoot it? Can it be soon? Please?

mad_machine
6/28/12 8:38 a.m.

I would rather see "stance" against the wall first.. followed by "stretch"

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
6/28/12 9:07 a.m.

I know a couple of guys who own a trucking firm . Years ago (15 or more) they built a new terminal right next the freeway. The old one was about 15 miles down a secondary road. They told me the fuel savings on that 30 mile round trip every day for 90-100 trucks would make the payments on the new terminal and that was at 1990's prices. This thing has a lot of potential. Just look at how many trailers are skirted these days. You didn't see much of them 5 years ago.

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
6/28/12 9:49 a.m.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/28/12 11:48 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I would rather see "stance" against the wall first.. followed by "stretch"

Stance is a verb (albeit a general descriptor appropriated for a small subset of microcephalics, the same way "drift" has). Stretch is also a verb. Mile is not a verb.

"Hypermiling" makes my brain grind to a halt the same way "stall converter" does.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SluxSd6XNtrDum2oi9Ztn8YKQ2yEEVnGQwlzt0NT4IyLiLqqzAEpHQ3tpPAatEoM