Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/17/12 6:19 p.m.

Some new work opportunities are presenting themselves making for a possible need for an additional vehicle. Something that can take the fam with me, yet still be fun, and can be bought with cash money (Dave Ramsey says no debt! /Marbovoice).

Requirements:

• Back seat big enough for a rear-facing child seat, possibly two (so also big enough to fit said seats and put two adults in front)
  • Manual trans
  • $3500-ish or less in the NW, could go to maybe $5K if I sacrifice the 944
  • Fun to drive/sporty/would do okay at a local Autocross
  • ~25MPG highway (with mods if needed)
  • Easy to work with reasonable parts costs

Optional:

• 2-doors, 4-doors, hatch, whatever, as long as it's a car
  • RWD preferred, but AWD and good FWD considered
  • City MPG doesn't matter (so V8's are A-OK)
  • Sunroof/t-tops/targa top a BIG bonus!

My first thought was LT1 T-Top 4th Gen, but then I realized car seat. Do those fit in there? Help?!?

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
5/17/12 6:26 p.m.

E36 BMW, but I am guessing as to whether child seats will fit in one or not. Parts cost really isn't TERRIBLE, but it's a lot if you're used to domestic cars, and they aren't exactly what I would call easy to work on, and they do require a fair amount of upkeep...

So I've got nothing is what I'm trying to say.

Wait! How hard is it to put a T5 in a P71?

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong, but child seats are pretty big, right? I can't imagine squeezing them into an F-Body, Mustang, Prelude, 240SX, 200ZX, etc.

njansenv
njansenv Dork
5/17/12 6:31 p.m.

Rear facing seats suck in an E36. Actually, even forward facing seats aren't that great - the slope of the door at the rear pillar makes access worse than you'd expect.

Rear facing seats are a real PITA - we "fit" one in a '98 Impreza, but it's a good thing my wife is short. 1 sort of fit in the middle rear in the E30.

E34 525i or 535i (you'd easily hit 25mpg with a late 525i, but it might be a stretch in the 535i) E39 525i/528i/530i (all with manual trans) I saw a FLAWLESS 535i sell recently for $3k, and it would've been the perfect family fun car.

P71? Legacy?

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
5/17/12 6:40 p.m.

Hell, I HAD a 5 spd. E34 525i! I guess I didn't realize they got that kind of mileage b/c mine spent all its time on the Autobahn. I would actually recommend a good E34 over an E39, a little bit easier to work on and, based purely on my anecdotal experience, more reliable.

Problem with any 5-Series in the US is that you're going to have to sift through a bunch to find manual transmissions. Be prepared for this conversation:

You: "Hi, I saw your BMW is for sale and I was wondering if it is a manual or an automatic."

Them: "What do you mean? I think the previous owner lost the manual."

Y: "No, the transmission, is it a manual transmission?"

T: "The transmission? It's good. Shifts smooth."

Y: "But is it a manual or an automatic?"

T: "It does have an automatic transmission. I don't think they make any other kind. This is a luxury car."

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/17/12 6:52 p.m.

I was wondering if any of the BMW's would be good. I've never owned one and the E30 rallycross thread has me interested. Are the sedans good for the car seats?

Damn P71's! Buy an 03 and swap a T45 into it... grumble grumble...

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
5/17/12 8:45 p.m.

Might be tight with your budget (OK really tight) but........WRX. Done.

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/17/12 9:17 p.m.

A friend of mine had a baby seat in the back of a 96 Firebird. There was a lot of climbing, but it worked. Can't remember if he'd run it facing rearward.

How about a 300zx 2+2? The MPG is close:http://www.mpgfacts.com/?did=89&year=1993

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/17/12 9:28 p.m.

Alfa Milano? My kids weren't in rear facing seats when I had it, but I think it'd work.

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/17/12 9:48 p.m.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
5/17/12 9:52 p.m.

Car seats fit fine in the back of my e39. Two, not three.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
5/17/12 9:58 p.m.

Volvo wagon?

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
5/17/12 10:55 p.m.

Too bad you can't put a 1 in front of that 3500. I can verify a recaro rear facing will fit in both a Cooper S and a ms3. Jury is still out on the mx6. THOUGH- GC chassis 626 GT would probably work.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
5/18/12 10:04 a.m.
njansenv wrote: Rear facing seats suck in an E36.

Agreed - I've put a single rear facing seat on the passenger side of my convertible, but you can't get one behind a seat you intend to use. A 5 series might be a good call though.

Volvo 240 / 740 / 940 would probably fit the bill.

A Mustang may be easier to put child seats in than an E36. Not quite sure on that one.

Wrong driving wheels, but a Probe or MX6 with the V6 could work here too. They're pretty large for a sports coupe, but don't feel that way when driving.

KATYB
KATYB HalfDork
5/18/12 10:21 a.m.

mazda6 u can fit the rear facing child seats and still sit up front. well atleast we can. im 5'5 and my spouse is 5'10

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
5/18/12 11:10 a.m.

2012 Civic

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
5/18/12 12:02 p.m.

Jcamper
Jcamper New Reader
6/4/12 12:41 p.m.

You won't need 2 rear facing car seats at the same time unless you have twins, 2 real close together, or your first child has some kind of growth issues. You would need something pretty huge to do 2 rear facing, we had a '98 camry and you could put a single rear facing in the center with the front seats back, but it nearly touched (or maybe it did?). I know its not what you are thinking, but it is really great to have a minivan in the family ('98 Sienna). Cheap, reliable, reasonable mileage, can tow, sliding doors with easy access, hauls 7 comfortably as long as a couple are children. Pick up one of those, put new shocks/struts on it (huge difference), ditch the almost minivan (Mazda), and you have money left over. Now you can get a toy again. See what I did there? Jeff

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
6/4/12 12:50 p.m.

I had one minivan that got 25 on the highway and one that got 27.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
6/4/12 1:56 p.m.

My current answer to a similar question is Saab 9-2X Aero, although not sure how kiddo seats work with taller front seat occupants (the wife and I are 5'5 and 5'7 respectively).

For a little bit larger, I think I am going to second the Volvo wagon suggestion.

imirk
imirk Reader
6/4/12 2:33 p.m.

Did they ever make a Speed 6 wagon?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
6/4/12 2:38 p.m.
imirk wrote: Did they ever make a Speed 6 wagon?

Nope, sadly.

scooterfrog
scooterfrog New Reader
6/4/12 2:54 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote: E36 BMW, but I am guessing as to whether child seats will fit in one or not. Parts cost really isn't TERRIBLE, but it's a lot if you're used to domestic cars, and they aren't exactly what I would call easy to work on, and they do require a fair amount of upkeep... So I've got nothing is what I'm trying to say. Wait! How hard is it to put a T5 in a P71? EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong, but child seats are pretty big, right? I can't imagine squeezing them into an F-Body, Mustang, Prelude, 240SX, 200ZX, etc.

2 rear facing wont ft in an e36 coupe. front facing will

scooterfrog
scooterfrog New Reader
6/4/12 2:56 p.m.
Jcamper wrote: You won't need 2 rear facing car seats at the same time unless you have twins, 2 real close together, or your first child has some kind of growth issues. You would need something pretty huge to do 2 rear facing, we had a '98 camry and you could put a single rear facing in the center with the front seats back, but it nearly touched (or maybe it did?). I know its not what you are thinking, but it is really great to have a minivan in the family ('98 Sienna). Cheap, reliable, reasonable mileage, can tow, sliding doors with easy access, hauls 7 comfortably as long as a couple are children. Pick up one of those, put new shocks/struts on it (huge difference), ditch the almost minivan (Mazda), and you have money left over. Now you can get a toy again. See what I did there? Jeff

i have twins t rear facing fin in an 89 camry and just barely in my cherokee. but... they only need rear facing for like 9 months. when they go front facing you can get 2 seats in most anything

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
6/4/12 3:09 p.m.
scooterfrog wrote: when they go front facing you can get 2 seats in most anything

One year by current laws - my Dr. says that by the end of the decade it will be 2 years.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EFX8ogtw2Vcfm7ATkVWi106QFPRhWdAMGLEmNpZdE3qxdh3vnKLwkLkmaAc8FBmc