Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/17/17 10:32 p.m.

A friend has asked for my help replacing the battery in his '06 Elantra. The "top hat" clamp is properly stuck to the positive terminal. So much so that before I got to it, the terminal was partially ripped out of the battery trying to pry it off. I am at a loss of how to proceed. Is there a way to get it removed or is it a matter of replacing the clamp or entire cable as well?

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
3/17/17 10:51 p.m.

So you're fighting one of these?

Yeah, go to the parts store and get new terminals (universal).

appliance_racer
appliance_racer New Reader
3/18/17 6:43 a.m.

That terminal has is two pieces. When you tighten the bolt it draws the two pieces together making a tight connection. When the two pieces corrode together they wont come apart anymore and you'll likely ruin the battery trying to get it loose. Unbolt the 10 mm nut to the cable and replace the battery cable end. If your trying to save the battery, twisting the old terminal with a good pair of channel locks will sometimes work.

This battery terminal design was good on paper, not so much in real life.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
3/18/17 7:51 a.m.

I knew exactly what the question would be from the title.

The above advice is good. If you were trying to save the battery, I've split them with a hacksaw, screwdriver and some careful hammer work.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/18/17 7:56 a.m.

Ok, time to pass the prognosis on to my friend. I may be able to get to it Wednesday.

Battery was destroyed before I got to it. The post was ripped out of the battery and can be pulled out about 4 inches, but not removed entirely.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/18/17 8:04 a.m.

I must admit that this design makes me miss GM side terminals.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/18/17 8:55 a.m.

Pouring coca-cola over it would likely have gotten it free without ripping the terminal out of the battery.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/17 9:29 a.m.

I have taken them apart with a gentle thwackin' with a hammer. It's not like you're worried about damaging the battery.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
3/18/17 11:56 a.m.

There are pullers for conventional terminals.

Would they work on this ?

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
3/18/17 12:07 p.m.

I have seen baking soda attack/neutralize battery acid. Looks like a good project for an experiment?

appliance_racer
3/19/17 12:40 p.m.

I've tried the Coca-Cola and baking soda ideas in the past. I would recommend giving a try but have plan b ready as they haven't worked for me. It's hard to get the sodas in where the two pieces have chemically welded themselves.

If the battery is already broken, I would just undo the 10mm bolt on the cable and discard the battery and terminal end together. Get a new battery ( you'll have to anyway) and a new terminal and be done with it.

Obviously be careful of the acid from the broken battery. Remember water just spreads the acid, you'll have to neutralize any spills before washing away.

Good luck with it.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/19/17 2:06 p.m.

Full story, this car has been handed down a few times within it's social circle. It was parked and replaced by owner #2 when it needed some work. I think it has been sitting for 6 months to a year. I'm not 100% on what else it needs, but I recall the radiator being mentioned. The plan is to put a new battery in it so it can drive to the shop for the rest of the work. I'm already weary of whatever condition this thing is in beyond dropping in a new battery.

appliance_racer
3/20/17 6:46 a.m.

In reply to Brian:

I'll be happy to help with info. I've worked for the Hyundai/Kia brand for 15 yrs.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
4/1/17 2:35 p.m.

Finally out here again. Turns out the clamp is crimped to the cable. I now know to bring a pair of wire cutters when I'm back up on Tuesday.

Edit-Turns out a pair of garden shears did the job. Now to figure out how to hook up the accessory lead to a new universal terminal.

Double edit- The accessory lead slipped on one of the bolts. My part is done.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/1/17 3:35 p.m.

The easier way would have been to pull the 10mm nut and bolt and just insert new universal end. I changed the whole cable on my 02 way back when because they were so tiny and terrible. Interesting side note... after upgrading the power and ground cables to 4ga I never blew another headlight bulb. It used to eat them about one every 6 months. It went 3 years after that.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
4/1/17 3:39 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

There was no nut to undo. It was crimped.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/1/17 3:45 p.m.

In reply to Brian:

must have changed the design then.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AQOOYWTsGpVvADJyBIgw3dj82WP1A986ftTLnXKmlxLQ0gj0I4H62vCLMkIPXGI4