1 ... 3 4 5
ratghia
ratghia Reader
9/20/09 10:19 a.m.
sanyarcosean wrote: I know I dont have to say this, but JACK STANDS under the beam and chock the rear wheels front and rear Please!! Good luck!!!

I put jack stands under each side of the beam and left the jack with low pressure against the pan head.

ratghia
ratghia Reader
9/20/09 10:30 a.m.

I went out today and pulled the passenger side drum and then the backing plate. I then re-assembled the cable brake backing plates and got them working smooth. I still need to get the metal smooth so I can paint it, but I will have to let it sit for a few days after so the paint can harden and I wanted to mock up the brakes. When I put it all together I was able to lock the drum by pulling the cable but I still need to adjust them to be able to hold the car. I also need to find the parts that pull the cable to get them working.

here is the old

here is the new I

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/20/09 10:39 a.m.

nice work, kid!

ratghia
ratghia Reader
9/21/09 3:42 p.m.

I got the birth certificate in the mail today. The car was built on December 12 and was sent to VW-Distributing Co., New York USA. That would make it an original Hoffman car. Hoffman was the only VW distributor in America until 1953 and the first Porsche distributor in America. It is one of only 3 surviving Hoffman standard zwitters. It was custom ordered with chrome bumpers, hubcaps, gas cap, and door handles.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
9/21/09 3:46 p.m.

I didn't know it was so easy to get the VW birth certificate, I'm going to have to check that out for mine. It didn't start out life nearly as rare as yours, but it should be interesting just the same.

Thanks for the updates, keep it up...I'm enjoying them.

Bryce

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 New Reader
9/21/09 7:26 p.m.

Looks like a fun project, good luck!

ratghia
ratghia Reader
9/21/09 8:27 p.m.

Just follow the steps on the link and you wil be fine. The website is in german but in the link there is a translatet guide through ordering. My dad and I have ordered 3 and always gotten them. It will take about 4-6 weeks but is a wealth of information.

ratghia
ratghia Reader
9/27/09 8:14 p.m.

I decided I wanted to do some body while I waited to have it media blasted. I dug all the lead that filled in the semaphore post to see how bad it was. The slot was pushed in the entire way around and several cuts in it. I cut the posts that were clipped into my 1960 (not a real euro) and did the same cut on my car. I have them tacked in now and they need to be welded in completely later but I think they look good for being my first attempt at body work.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cxfAi7XFkb9qRp5o5LWCrHKAwc47FZM2mAnsbG33Yxpux1tBG5bHm9wDY5gh41Do