JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/9/21 4:11 p.m.

As some of you may know, Tom wasn't the only Nissan Leaf owner on staff. Only difference was my leaf was a little newer, and I was still making payments on it. After doing some math, and realizing I had driven the thing less than 1000 miles in the last 12 months—coupled witht the fact that Carvana was offering me an increasingly obscene sum of money for it—I recided to turn th eequity in the Leaf into an entire car.

Once the Leaf returned to the mothership, I'd have around $5000 to shop with, and that's not a ton in these days of hyperinflated used car prices. I wanted something reliable and efficient, preferably with a hybrid drivetrain. While I loved the Leaf, the range anxiety made it unusable for my wife as a backup car if she ever needed to borrow it to go to work. Her commute pretty much maxed out the range, and having a car you can only go directly to and from your job in is kind of a pain.

CR-Zs are still too expensive, and actually not particularly fuel-efficient by modern standards, although they are super cool. Insights are hard to find and harder to find parts for. So I finally narrowed the search to the 2nd generation Prius, which is one of the world's most prolific and reliable hybrids, and also has a considerable knowledge base for DIY repairs. Prices also seemed to be right in my wheelhouse.

As I found when I began to actually look at cars, though, people are literally awful at selling used cars. The first car I looked at was an embarassment. "I painted the roof myself after a junkie boiunced off it. I think I did a pretty good job!" Uh, sir, I have some news for you. Three days later I got a vaguely accusatory text from Mr. Rembrandt there that his catalytic converter had been stolen. 

Finally I was able to make a deal on a car—although not take delivery immediately, even though I came to the arranged meeting with cash and a trailer. The next day, the text i was expecting with final meeting arrangements ws instead a text that they had changed their mind on selling.

Ultimately I found a car in Jacksonville—after having the "I hate to be a dick, but are you willing and able to part with this car tonight if we come to an agreement on price?" conversation. Nice guy, understood my frustration, and also looked like a young Glenn Danzig, so he had all that going for him. The car was well-prepped by independent used car standards, which is to say it had actually been vacuumed and emptied of garbage. Still, a good polish and headlight resto would have cost less than $10 in materials and probably added $400 to the selling price. 136,000 miles, new Contis, some recent records indicating some common issues being taken care of at dealer service facilities, and a good report from the Dr. Prius app (worth every penny of the $30 they charge for it) on the battery test. $5000 and I was on my way.

I've since given it a proper polishing and interior cleaning (you should have seen the cabin air filter. It looked like that filter that all dealerships keep around to scare old ladies into buyng a new cabin filter), cleaned the headlights, and I have a full slate of fluids ready to go in one evening this week. Also having to add an aftermarket aux input setup since the 2005 didn't come standard with any inuts for external devices.

I had forgotten how brilliantly simple these things were. As soulless driving pods go, the Gen2 feels more basic, but also more rugged than its more modern relatives. But it also has a real user-friendly, indestructible feel about it that I appreciate a lot. It's simple, eats miles on the highway, efficient and cheap to fix if my quick run through common wear items on Rock Auto is any indication. 

Also, I towed it home with my Tundra, nicely bracketing Toyota's most and least efficient vehicles in one handy photo frame. 

Oh, and in addition to have no car payments to look forward to, insurance on the Prius is UNDER HALF of what the Leaf was. I'll probably use all that extra money to LS swap it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/9/21 4:28 p.m.

\m/

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/9/21 5:02 p.m.

Can I get an amen?! 

I am deep into the religion of Gen2 Prius. In my business fleet I now have 4 Gen2 Prius.

I have just now forwarded to you, via email, my Prius buyers guide or, The Gospel according to John.  It has some "wear items" info that you should find helpful. 

Powar
Powar UltraDork
8/9/21 5:09 p.m.

Very nice! Congrats! I've been really happy with the cheap 3rd gen Prius that we picked up last year. They are VERY good at what they do, and the technology is interesting even if the driving experience isn't. The second gen cars like yours are definitely more robust, lacking the EGR issues and oil consumption of the 1.8s like ours.

If you actually LS swap it, I'll get you a h00ker.

In reply to John Welsh :

Amen!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/9/21 6:59 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Saying a prayer that you too shall be washed over with the holy spirit of The Gen2 and delivered from evil (or Subaru.)

Amen. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
8/9/21 7:44 p.m.

Maybe the Gen2 Prius will eventually become part of the  GRM holy trinity?  Can a boring transpopleeb be in the club? What's currently in anyway?  Miata, E30, Crown Vic or Astro? Or some other combination or selection?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/9/21 7:48 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

I recognize that your car is equipped with cassette player.  For 3.5mm jack I'd just spring for the typical $5.99 adapter. 

If you want all the modern stuff like Apple Car Play then install a new single din head unit.  The big names can even be made to work with the steering wheel buttons.

For phone holding, the past 3 years I've used this CD slot holder in my factory radio.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076B5L4H6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, it can both hold and play a CD simultaneously (if you manually remove it to load a CD.)

Edit: I have the holder model 4. They now seem to have a model 5 which has bottom feet too. That might be a nice addition. 

JG Pasterjak
8/9/21 8:42 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I ordered the GTA Car Kits setup, which plugs in to the factory CD Changer port and gives you a 30-pin connector that connects and charges. Maybe Black Friday will bring a CarPlay head unit, but for now $100 was easier to swallow than $400,and I figure this setup will recoup 2/3 of its value if I ever upgrade.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/27/21 10:44 a.m.

I think I'm going to get me a 2nd gen Prius when I get to the DMV area. 

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/27/21 10:49 a.m.

Good choice - there's not too much driving pleasure here most days so you'll constantly benefit from a quiet car with comfy seats, good AC, decent sounds and low operating costs.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/27/21 10:56 a.m.

My first thought when I saw the headline was "That's OK, we forgive you".

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
8/27/21 2:15 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

In reply to John Welsh :

I ordered the GTA Car Kits setup, which plugs in to the factory CD Changer port and gives you a 30-pin connector that connects and charges. Maybe Black Friday will bring a CarPlay head unit, but for now $100 was easier to swallow than $400,and I figure this setup will recoup 2/3 of its value if I ever upgrade.

Do all of the prius head units have that port?  Mine does not have nav nor a changer but I'd love to be able to plug a phone into it or Bluetooth. 

JG Pasterjak
8/27/21 2:24 p.m.
jfryjfry said:
JG Pasterjak said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Do all of the prius head units have that port?  Mine does not have nav nor a changer but I'd love to be able to plug a phone into it or Bluetooth. 

Yep. The head units were basically all the same, and the optional stuff just plugged into the back.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
8/27/21 3:06 p.m.

Congrats! I actually don't hate driving them.

I'd put a cat protector on it immediately, but maybe that's only a concern in CA. 

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
8/27/21 6:25 p.m.

Are Prius's plug-in? Since we got our Solar panels it has stimulated the desire of using the excess generated by this system. Power company does net metering but it's not 100% payback it's closer to 50%.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
8/28/21 2:37 p.m.

I think the Prius Prime is full plug in? A former co worker of Mrs. DX had one a few years ago. I think even the newer Prius Primes are full plug in.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/28/21 4:50 p.m.

JG, with all the talk about catalyst theft on the Prius, are you taking any measures to fend that off?

JG Pasterjak
8/28/21 9:55 p.m.
einy (Forum Supporter) said:

JG, with all the talk about catalyst theft on the Prius, are you taking any measures to fend that off?

I haven't yet. Mine's pretty secure at my place. More chance of getting pooped on by a duck than having the cat ripped off. And the way I drive it hardly ever sits anywhere except populated parking lots during daytime.

Still, I have a BUNCH of rod stock that would make a nice cage, so when I'm in the mood for a welding project I might whip something up.

My Tundra on the other hand... It sees a lot of hotel parking lots, and you can easily crawl under without a jack. Giving serious thought to some real countermeasures, there.

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/10/21 8:29 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
einy (Forum Supporter) said:

I haven't yet. Mine's pretty secure at my place. More chance of getting pooped on by a duck than having the cat ripped off. And the way I drive it hardly ever sits anywhere except populated parking lots during daytime.

Still, I have a BUNCH of rod stock that would make a nice cage, so when I'm in the mood for a welding project I might whip something up.

My Tundra on the other hand... It sees a lot of hotel parking lots, and you can easily crawl under without a jack. Giving serious thought to some real countermeasures, there.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZQE29Eax41v7KvfxzZMcxzQ2mWFmylRvJbG7ARchN2h1ugwafQbafNrO8IS7Dp6p