1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/17 5:23 p.m.

Ask a Land Rover owner about that If you're really lucky, Ford learned how to do galvanic corrosion from the experts when they owned Rover.

outasite
outasite HalfDork
2/12/17 7:03 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Ask a Land Rover owner about that If you're really lucky, Ford learned how to do galvanic corrosion from the experts when they owned Rover.

+1, My Series III made white powder as the aluminum corroded.

Keith Tanner
2/12/17 7:57 p.m.

The best part was that sometimes the seatbelts were attached to that white powder...

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/12/17 8:09 p.m.

Yeah, but it takes longer, right?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/17 8:24 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Ask a Land Rover owner about that If you're really lucky, Ford learned how to do galvanic corrosion from the experts when they owned Rover.

Fuel pump control module is proof that Ford is skilled at galvanic corrosion.

As far as PREVENTING it is concerned... They've been doing aluminum hoods and suspension parts for a very long time with no problem.

Keith Tanner
2/12/17 8:26 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Yeah, but it takes longer, right?

It's fun when the body looks great but the truck breaks in half when you open the doors because the frame is rusted out.

Nomad
Nomad Reader
2/13/17 9:38 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:

You need to go to a different Jeep dealer next time. We're shopping SUVs and 2017 Grand Cherokees start at under $31k with 0% financing. Even the optioned-up Altitude version we're looking at is under $38k. I think we'll end up with a $30k Mazda though. Lower FCA content

Sorry but what is "FCA content"? I'm looking at the Mazda CX-5 as an option and will wait to see the Diesel they keep saying they are bringing, think its worth jumping on? 350 ft/lb and 40mpg but I don't know much else on maintaining diesel. Wrangler Unlimited is on the radar as a guilty pleasure that makes no sense.

Keith Tanner
2/13/17 9:48 a.m.

FCA: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, aka Jeep Dodge Ram Chrysler Fiat Ferrari Alfa etc. I'm not an enormous fan of their recalls, poor security or funky wiring. I love my 2500, but the fact that the NHTSA forced a buyback on the truck because FCA couldn't be bothered to actually perform recall work says it all.

I'm not going to wait for the diesel because I'm not planning on using it to tow and I prefer naturally aspirated engines.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/13/17 9:51 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
Fuel pump control module is proof that Ford is skilled at galvanic corrosion. As far as PREVENTING it is concerned... They've been doing aluminum hoods and suspension parts for a very long time with no problem.

Well, I wouldn't say NO problem.

That's paint bubbling on the aluminum hood of the Taurus X we just sold after 9 years. It also happened on the leading edge of the hood a few years back, but Ford fixed that under warranty. Granted, the metal itself is fine underneath, but cosmetically it still looks bad.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/13/17 10:03 a.m.

our '06 GMC cost us $24k IIRC after discount and 0% APR for 66 months. That truck on GM's current pricing would be $38k.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
2/13/17 3:43 p.m.

I think the prices have been rising, but incomes haven't exactly kept up, so extended financing has become more of a crutch. I am mid-30's and when I think of vehicle "financing", I think either 48 or, at most, 60 months. I bet if you polled people buying new cars/trucks today there would be a lot who are doing 72 and even 84-month financing (is 96 a thing yet?!).

That being said, new cars/trucks have proven that they can last much longer and be more reliable than 10 or 20 years ago, so maybe that is okay. But to think that I would be paying off a vehicle for the next 6 or 7 years of my life seems, to me personally, like too big a commitment.

I applaud anyone who saves up the cash (but with financing rates so low, why not do 0%), but I think that is a large part of what is propping up new car prices in general.

I like the new stuff, but will be content with my 02 4Runner for the time being.

Keith Tanner
2/13/17 4:13 p.m.

Didn't we go through the whole income vs real car prices thing about a month ago?

I believe that truck prices have outstripped the rise in car prices, though. It's probably related to trucks going into completely different realms of capability and the advent of the fully pimped option groups.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/14/17 8:23 a.m.

OOOHHHHH this thread again.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/14/17 8:26 a.m.

The other issue is the new trucks aren't equipped like our 06. The rear seats flip up the seat bottoms and the seat backs create a flat load space. It's amazingly roomy for all sorts of things and perfect for the dog beds and dogs. Every one of the new crew cabs the rear seat bottom flips up, leaving the seat in the way of hte door and the lumpy floor to put stuff on.

I'll just keep rebuilding this one.MAybe someday we'll slip in one of those new aluminum 5.3's and 6L65's.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/14/17 9:18 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: The other issue is the new trucks aren't equipped like our 06. The rear seats flip up the seat bottoms and the seat backs create a flat load space. It's amazingly roomy for all sorts of things and perfect for the dog beds and dogs. Every one of the new crew cabs the rear seat bottom flips up, leaving the seat in the way of hte door and the lumpy floor to put stuff on.

Dodges have a flip down thingy that gives you a flat floor. Not that you should buy a new truck just because of that.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
2/14/17 9:33 a.m.

Yes new trucks can be incredibly expensive. A new diesel crew cab 4wd with the top end option package is probably, what, like $75k now? Or you can go on CL and get an old beater for $500, and literally everything in between is available. So you cant complain too much. You do have to be willing to compromise though. Such is the case with literally all things. Houses, clothes, tools, schools, televisions, food, everything. Trucks are no different. I like woodworking. I cant afford a Norm Abram caliber shop, so i compromise, hunt for bargains, settle for less, and make due. Its just life.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
2/14/17 10:26 a.m.

Within the last few months two members of my family have bought new trucks. My son just picked up a 2017 F150 for a discounted price of $62k. It's nice don't get me wrong, but no way would I pay that for a F150. It doesn't particularly drive that good, but the interior rivals a BMW or Mercedes. It's too tall to be useful, and too large to park in normal places at the grocery store, etc. For me, it would be a non-starter for a daily driver.

Second, my sister and her husband just bought a new Ridgeline. They had to go to Kansas to get the one they wanted because the dealers in North Alabama couldn't come up with one in the desired combination of options. Price they paid, $44k. As a work truck, it can't touch the F150, nor can the niceties inside, but as a truck to use everyday, it's hands down the winner in my book. You can drive it, park it, put things normally into the bed, etc., where you can't in the Ford.

No it can't tow a big trailer or haul 3 of your 400 pound friends in comfort, but it is far more usable for a good portion of the truck driving public. For that money I'd still probably go Tacoma, but it was nice.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/14/17 10:53 a.m.

62k for an f150? that seems like diesel f350 platnum prices.

yupididit
2/14/17 10:55 a.m.
gearheadmb wrote: Yes new trucks can be incredibly expensive. A new diesel crew cab 4wd with the top end option package is probably, what, like $75k now? Or you can go on CL and get an old beater for $500, and literally everything in between is available. So you cant complain too much. You do have to be willing to compromise though. Such is the case with literally all things. Houses, clothes, tools, schools, televisions, food, everything. Trucks are no different. I like woodworking. I cant afford a Norm Abram caliber shop, so i compromise, hunt for bargains, settle for less, and make due. Its just life.

With all that logic, you wouldnt make it too far in the military haha!

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
2/14/17 11:45 a.m.
yupididit wrote: 62k for an f150? that seems like diesel f350 platnum prices.

It's possible. For E36 M3s and giggles, I added every option, except the $95 "smoker's kit"

yupididit
2/14/17 12:43 p.m.

Yeah I just saw the F150 Limited starts at $59k...nevermind HA

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
2/14/17 12:48 p.m.

It is some sort of special edition Limited with a "sport" package. Some of the options were kinda cool. The center console double as a cooler as it was heated and cooled. The glove box was also heated and cooled, and there were plugs for your cell phone everywhere. Most of the stuff that ran the price up were all the electronics. He loves all that stuff, I think it's a waste of money.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/14/17 1:06 p.m.

My '14 Silverado LTZ had heated and cooled buckets, only used the cooled seats 4X in two years and that was only minutes worth each time to take the heat out. Necessary? meh, not for me.

Cooled console, we need to be that pampered anymore? but...

I did install Buick Somerset buckets in a '90 F-150 w/ a Bronco console box. Insulated and sealed the console, radiator drain petcock w/ hose through the floor for a drain. It would hold 10 bee... er, 12 oz. beverage cans w/ ice. Removable too.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/14/17 1:23 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: FCA: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, aka Jeep Dodge Ram Chrysler Fiat Ferrari Alfa etc. I'm not an enormous fan of their recalls, poor security or funky wiring. I love my 2500, but the fact that the NHTSA forced a buyback on the truck because FCA couldn't be bothered to actually perform recall work says it all. I'm not going to wait for the diesel because I'm not planning on using it to tow and I prefer naturally aspirated engines.

I'm confused -- FCA bought your truck back and you're replacing it with a CX-5? Or are those unrelated?

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
2/14/17 1:31 p.m.

I just configured my bosses new F-350 for E36 M3s and giggles. Should not have done that...

so THAT'S where my raise went last year!

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cNnVJ4uiVZrrSmTdD9T3KJbeBnj7FTexjKz14cwwCxL0pPI3135ykLgiG2nhrNZY