novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
9/27/14 6:05 p.m.

...see, it fits:

an aluminum 5.3 powered 95 Neon would be kinda cool...

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/27/14 6:20 p.m.

I see no reason to take it back out, personally. IT's already there!

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
9/27/14 8:51 p.m.

Blasphemy.

Do it.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
9/27/14 9:11 p.m.

if i get motivated, i'll weigh the LS engine and the stock 2.0 and see how much weight difference there is.. the big motor is aluminum block and heads, the little motor is cast iron block and aluminum head..

84FSP
84FSP New Reader
9/27/14 10:15 p.m.

wow - great choice of something different. We need smoky burnout videos asap.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
9/27/14 11:20 p.m.

I'm not really doing it.. I've convinced myself that I'm building the Neon for Chumpcar and other racing, and I have that aluminum 5.3 sitting around... so I set it on a transmission jack in the empty engine bay and took some pics..

But, yeah, it would be awesome.. especially with a C5 Vette transaxle and T56 mounted out back.. or maybe an awd system out of a Subaru...

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
9/28/14 6:14 a.m.

How much was the aluminum 5.3? I'm pretty sure they come out of 07 and up Silverados and Tahoes.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
9/28/14 2:33 p.m.

i paid $100 for this particular one... it has 340,000 miles on it.. it was in an '09 Suburban that was used to drive train crews around the upper midwest and spent most of it's time either idling or going 70mph. the engine was replaced with a brand new GM crate engine because it had a slight lifter tick when cold, but otherwise ran great. one of my friends drove the truck for the company and told me about the motor... so i bought it for core price and decided to tear into it to see what the lifter tick was and to see what an engine with 340,000 miles looks like inside: it looks brand new, with crosshatch still on all cylinders but also a fairly deep groove all the way up and down the #1 cylinder and a timing chain that has no slack in it... so my plan as of now (when i get some $$$) is to get it bored out to LS1 specs, put an LS9 cam in it, and put it in my 86 Camaro. should be a civilized 400+HP beast thanks to the factory installed LS6 heads.

grafmiata
grafmiata SuperDork
9/28/14 3:23 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: I'm not really doing it..

I applaud your decision...

The whole LS-X into a Neon thing is just so played-out anymore.

It's about time for someone to think outside the box, and put a SBC into something like a Camaro.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
9/28/14 6:00 p.m.

I'm not one to advocate radical swaps.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7abQXUc3PtVzCGTBfojBmW6crzk1KWE7Aay6Fablb4GH1Idp7NXUHWYmvUs6ROaM