1 2
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/22 11:15 p.m.

I realize... this is nothing like a Mach-E, or a Ferrari, but I thought if anyone wanted to know more about them or if you're thinking about getting one, ask me here.  More details later.  I just picked it up tonight.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
10/19/22 11:24 p.m.

how slow is it compared to your ImpalaSS?

how many pressure washers can you fit in boot? 

is interior quality even subpar to koreans?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/19/22 11:40 p.m.

I rented one in Baltimore back in the day.

Hot day - air struggled to keep me cool. Awful acceleration and no trunk.

Improved?

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
10/19/22 11:59 p.m.

Does it feel like you're sitting on it more so than in it ? Weird driving position in general ? Is it fun to drive around town? Does it feel like it's well-built ?

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
10/20/22 5:52 a.m.

Why?????

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
10/20/22 7:21 a.m.

They still exist??

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
10/20/22 7:53 a.m.

My automotive life was almost nothing but Fiats from 1982-well, a long time. I owned my last 124 Spider for over 20 years. I was the ultimate fanboi, knew them inside and out, dealt parts before the internet and always hoped Fiat would return to these shores. Eventually they did, but they were not the same company that produced fun, affordable sports cars derived from pedestrian sedans in the 60s and 70s. I had high hopes for the 500. Stylistically, it was very much a Fiat. When one of our club members bought one and had a catastrophic engine failure early on, my view quickly soured. And, Fiat's response to the engine failure was typical Fiat from the 70s:  deny, then handle as poorly as possible once you accept that it was your fault.

Aside from the cars, Fiat has historically been horrible at reliably supplying parts. They haven't changed any from what I've found...and that was pre-Covid.

Instead of creating a proper Italian sports car they instead modified a Miata, which may make a decent car but it doesn't really make an Italian sports car.

Fiat is just repeating a lot of the same mistakes they made in the 1970s/1980s, but now with a poorer product that is closer to the Strada than the 124 or X1/9. And now they are joined with the French...yeah, that can't possibly go wrong. 

My experiences with the 500 show it to be cheaply made, underpowered and unreliable. So, a modern 128. At least the 128 was fun to drive.

wae
wae PowerDork
10/20/22 8:01 a.m.

What would you have gotten had you won the bet?

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
10/20/22 8:03 a.m.

Do you have AAA?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/22 8:16 a.m.
wae said:

What would you have gotten had you won the bet?

A Lada?

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/20/22 8:23 a.m.

All jokes aside I still want a 500 Abarth.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/20/22 8:37 a.m.

After owning a "Fiata" 124 Spider, I wish you the best of luck with that overly complicated yet simultaneously obsolete engine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/20/22 8:42 a.m.

If you launch it hard enough in reverse repeatedly, can you get a bounce going that will allow for backwards wheelies?

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
10/20/22 8:52 a.m.
Aaron_King said:

All jokes aside I still want a 500 Abarth.

Some days I miss mine, but after 7 years I wanted more experiences.  I bet it's still brapping along nicely.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/22 11:30 a.m.

Mine is still brapping along nicely.  I need to change the oil and tyres soon.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
10/20/22 11:47 a.m.

I loved my '12 base model for the nearly 90k trouble-free miles that I put on it from new. A friend still drives it every day, and it is still an excellent little manual economy car with some style.

Driving one with an automatic transmission would suck.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/20/22 12:08 p.m.

This should get the blood pressure up.  

Can Charlie Sheen drive stick?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/20/22 1:01 p.m.

I had a base automatic as a rental back when they were fairly new. Neat little car, although I wouldn't want one.  Maybe the Abarth - those look like fun. 

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
10/20/22 1:22 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

The most offensive part of this whole commercial is how poorly the car is comped in every single scene, especially the weird slow motion slides.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/20/22 1:41 p.m.
dannyp84 said:

Does it feel like you're sitting on it more so than in it ? Weird driving position in general ? Is it fun to drive around town? Does it feel like it's well-built ?

This stuff.

I don't know how differently the base version drives from the Abarth, but I feel like I heard murmurs of weird seating (though I'm prone to old cars that feel "on" rather than "in" compared to newer cars) and weird steering feedback. What are your impressions?

I still think Abarths are incredibly cool and about the best sounding car to come out of a factory in forever, though I'm slowly accepting that they're not such great engines that it's worth figuring out how to swap the MultiAir into anything else. But if I stumbled into an Abarth as a runabout...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/20/22 2:02 p.m.

Does Jigen still dig it?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/20/22 4:02 p.m.
AMiataCalledSteve said:

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

The most offensive part of this whole commercial is how poorly the car is comped in every single scene, especially the weird slow motion slides.

Yeah, that was terrible. Like Scorpion King CGI levels of bad.

10/20/22 4:37 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

how slow is it compared to your ImpalaSS?

how many pressure washers can you fit in boot? 

is interior quality even subpar to koreans?

1- not as bad as I expected, but pretty bad

2- none unless I'm willing to spill the gasoline by laying it on it's side

3- no.  Not as rattly/buzzy as koreans

10/20/22 4:41 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I rented one in Baltimore back in the day.

Hot day - air struggled to keep me cool. Awful acceleration and no trunk.

Improved?

Can't say anything about the A/C.  Today's high was 54.

Even with the rear seats folded down, it doesn't have a trunk.  I picked up some 2' x 4' plastic sheets and I had to curl them up to fit.

10/20/22 4:42 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

Why?????

Van is sick, and I'm tired of riding the motorcycle when it's 40 degrees

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VYYjiWQST1ig3LRT9QT2IsknWY5Sq54ATiQJZHorT65dP0duq359Qby681JfcK4t