golfduke
golfduke Reader
3/27/15 11:46 a.m.

So after moving out of a nice house with a spacious 24x18 garage into an apartment that barely housed an extra pair of shoes, I've been looking for a house to rent that will ultimately get me some tool storage and car wrenching space.

I found one today. Pro- It has a garage. Con- The garage is a 2 car INLINE, at 11'x30'.

Does anyone have any experience with such an odd work area? The house is 1940's, and it is a blank canvas of a rectangle with a 9' overhead door on one short end and an access door to the backyard on the back wall. 50A panel access for the garage separate from the house, and 12' ceilings, which is nice. This will be home to only one car- my e36 track car... and hopefully as much workbench and tool storage space as possible.

Any suggestions on shoehorning everything in there? I was thinking overhead cabinets to free up floor space, and a long L-shaped workbench in the back, with part of it dedicated to being a welding table.

I'll try to get pictures, but it's literally just a framed out garage with 1 fluorescent light in it at the moment...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/27/15 12:07 p.m.

Front for the car, back for benches/workspace. Think of it like a single car garage and a single car shop that are attached.

bluej
bluej SuperDork
3/27/15 12:09 p.m.

It's snug, but workable. I think the old 1-car I used to have down here was actually skinnier than that but I can't find anything to verify (likely less than 10' wide, maybe less than 9' even) if you ever stopped by it when you were here. The biggest pain was having to pull the car out due to lack of depth to have a space to work. With the extra depth, that sounds just fine. You'll definitely want the overhead shelves, that helps a lot. Lets you get the other "garage" storage stuff up and out of the way. What neighborhood?

bluej
bluej SuperDork
3/27/15 12:14 p.m.

Also, all the obvious stuff. Store a hoist or other large items at a friend's/relative's (your dad's). I had a bunch of hanging storage for tools and containers screwed through the lid to the underside of the overhead shelves. They were made from 2x4's and cheap plywood w/ strategic 4x4 columns.

bluej
bluej SuperDork
3/27/15 12:27 p.m.

lets see if this works..

should be pics of shelves. They were at a height that with work boots, I had less than an inch of head clearance. With your extra height, you could do more.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
owOLK7uGw4aj7RF5d4jMHqlqdAFStegZLZ9FeI7alhnFjp1pjqyTamuEgqYDsVYL