1 2
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
12/31/14 3:02 p.m.

But what about a Yenko X-11?

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
12/31/14 3:45 p.m.

Why would they raise the rear so high? Especially on a front drive car, you wouldn't think that would help at all. That looks higher than stock:

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
12/31/14 3:59 p.m.

My guess is to fit wider tires

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/31/14 4:21 p.m.

"I hear you guys talking about Citation X-11s all the time...."

No, you don't.

"I hear that there are some fans of Citation X-11s on this forum...."

No, there aren't.

"I have some neat pictures of a Citation X-11."

Okay.

( Explanation )

68TR250
68TR250 New Reader
12/31/14 4:43 p.m.

My wife and I bought a new x11 just like the one that is pictured by jstein77. It was a great fun car. I check out Craigslist every once in awhile to see if there are any around. 2nd child and it became a pain for her to have a two door car. I had my 250 so we had to get her something with 4 doors. Ending up getting a new GLH. Really fun car!

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/31/14 5:17 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: Why would they raise the rear so high? Especially on a front drive car, you wouldn't think that would help at all. That looks higher than stock:

maybe that first pic was taken in a braking zone? if you look at the driver, it looks like he's getting ready to do something...

someday, i will own one of these things... and it will have a supercharged 3.8 backed with a 5 speed.. and it will be glorious- except for the sideways radio... that will always suck..

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
1/1/15 7:53 a.m.

I'm an X-11 fan. GM took one of their ugly cars and made it look awesome.

Friend had one for a few years.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/1/15 9:15 a.m.
Knurled wrote: "I hear you guys talking about Citation X-11s all the time...." No, you don't. "I hear that there are some fans of Citation X-11s on this forum...." No, there aren't. "I have some neat pictures of a Citation X-11." Okay. ( Explanation )

The "What If" book is worth every penny.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
1/1/15 10:20 a.m.

That website rocks. Thanks for making my morning!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/1/15 10:25 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
jstein77 wrote: Why would they raise the rear so high? Especially on a front drive car, you wouldn't think that would help at all. That looks higher than stock:
maybe that first pic was taken in a braking zone? if you look at the driver, it looks like he's getting ready to do something... someday, i will own one of these things... and it will have a supercharged 3.8 backed with a 5 speed.. and it will be glorious- except for the sideways radio... that will always suck..

The 1985 models do not have the sideways radio. Actually, it does, and thats the normal position. Its the 80-84 that had the odd verticle one. There's another car that had a weird verticle radio from GM, the 63-67 Corvette.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/1/15 10:30 a.m.
Trackmouse wrote: That website rocks. Thanks for making my morning!

You just learned about XKCD?

Gearheadotaku
1/1/15 10:45 a.m.

Here the on I drove in the 2003 one Lap Of America.

It's an '85 multiport car. Rebuild the motor with a 3.1 crank and bigger cam, swapped in a 4 speed manual. Built some braces for the suspension along with a big rear swaybar. Car handled great with 15x7 Fiero GT wheels and 225/50 tires.

here's on with the super rare steel Rally wheels, most had the aluminium ones.

John Henrecicy of Corvette fame started his Engineering and racing duties with these. 1981 SSB was won by a X11! Eberyone points the the GTI as the first hot hatch of the 80's, the X11 was first.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
1/1/15 10:57 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku:

Seeing as how the VW GTi came out in 1976, the X-11 did come after it, although America didn't get a GTi until late 1982. Neither are really "the original hot hatch" if we're thinking globally anyway.

Gearheadotaku
1/1/15 11:03 a.m.

Ah, true. The X11 actually started in '80, but was just a decal and trim pkg. '81 brought the H.O. V6 and better suspension etc.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
1/5/15 12:59 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: Why would they raise the rear so high? Especially on a front drive car, you wouldn't think that would help at all.

It helps it to oversteer, so maybe they wanted it to be looser (logical in a racecar).

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
1/5/15 1:06 p.m.

In reply to jstein77:

Looks more like the front is lower than the rear is high.

oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
1/5/15 1:17 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to jstein77: Looks more like the front is lower than the rear is high.

It looks like the driver is hard on the brakes before entering Turn 3 at Road Atlanta.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
1/5/15 1:36 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Eberyone points the the GTI as the first hot hatch of the 80's, the X11 was first.

Except the GTI was introduced in 1976. We just didn't get it in the states until 83.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
1/5/15 2:07 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:
bravenrace wrote: In reply to jstein77: Looks more like the front is lower than the rear is high.
It looks like the driver is hard on the brakes before entering Turn 3 at Road Atlanta.

Heavy braking makes perfect sense. Should have known.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/5/15 2:07 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:

It also looks like the driver is turning, and with different weight and sway rates front and rear I could see different 'lift' at the inside front and rear.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
1/5/15 2:09 p.m.

My mom had a pontiac Phoenix for about 2 months before the engine blew up the second time. Utter crap, although it was bought used from a shady lot so my Dad should have known better. I can still feel the burgundy velour and smell the cigarette smoke air conditioning if I think about it too long.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
1/5/15 2:20 p.m.
rcutclif wrote:
oldsaw wrote:
It also looks like the driver is turning, and with different weight and sway rates front and rear I could see different 'lift' at the inside front and rear.

And the suspension must have been pretty soft, as I know from personal experience how little grip Radial T/A's have...

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
1/5/15 5:31 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to Gearheadotaku: Seeing as how the VW GTi came out in 1976, the X-11 did come after it, although America didn't get a GTi until late 1982. Neither are really "the original hot hatch" if we're thinking globally anyway.

Obviously the original Mini and then it's Cooper S version was the original hot hatch. Still want one.

Back to the Citation, I remember as a kid being rescued by a passerby as our AMC Hornet (AMX version) broke down again and my Dad needed to get to a phone (no cell phones in this era). I was amazed to see it with a 4 speed stick and couldn't believe it was a Citation. Nice car.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
1/5/15 5:36 p.m.

In reply to rustysteel:

Real Mini's don't have a hatch unless you're Ringo Star and get your Mini modded.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
1/5/15 5:59 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: My mom had a pontiac Phoenix for about 2 months before the engine blew up the second time. Utter crap, although it was bought used from a shady lot so my Dad should have known better. I can still feel the burgundy velour and smell the cigarette smoke air conditioning if I think about it too long.

Damn, for as extinct as the Citation is around here (I might have seen 1 or 2 in the past year), the J-body Phoenix is Dodo bird-extinct. I'd completely forgotten about that one!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0rxmvBGm65a2pwX9MP3G4u1x6OaXsJVTIgJ1OfgxFsZo16imdC6ghvQXHDB0xKdB