John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/8/08 10:18 a.m.

I really like driving this POS Turbo Grand Prix around, but it is a little oh... crappy.

I don't like W bodies in general but the seats in this are crap. I mean super metric ninja crap. I could swap out the seats and all but to do it properly I would need to find seats I like and have them upholstered...

I was looking at Karls post and saw what I would do with this car if I could find the right donor...

I want a Camaro to swap the turbo goodness and internal engine bits in to (computer included for obvious reasons.

While I would like a 93^ body I bet I could find a running 82-92 V6 stick car pretty cheap this winter.

What do you 60* freaks out there think of this idea?

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
9/8/08 10:58 a.m.

same base v6?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/8/08 10:59 a.m.

the FWD manifold/crossover setup would put the turbo in the camaro about where your radio sits in the dash.

IMHO if you want a turbo v6 camaro using grand prix parts is not the way to go.

John Brown
9/8/08 1:16 p.m.

I was thinking pointing the FWD exhaust manis forward and relocating the turbo to the front of the car. Working the factory components in outside of the crossover (mine is leaking anyway but one built to move the turbo to the "bare" side of the engine bay and running the factory 3" V8 exhaust... add some Ford 30lb injectors and a PROM recal I bet it could be fun.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous New Reader
9/8/08 1:34 p.m.

LT1 six speed F-bodies can be had pretty cheap. TPI cars can be had even cheaper. It sounds like a lot of work to make a car that probably won't outperform either one of those.

I thought the Turbo Grand Prix was pretty rare. You want to cut yours up?

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
9/8/08 1:50 p.m.

If you wanted a turbo Camaro V6, it seems to me you'd be better off starting with a 3800 and adding a DIY turbo setup. As mentioned, if you just want a fast camaro SBC is the way to go, but if you want the project of it a V6 can be fun. That old iron head/iron block 2.8/3.1/3.4 is a boat anchor, performance sucks even with lots of work, you'd be wasting your time with it IMO. If you really wanted a 60° V6 project and you wanted a Camaro, maybe it'd be worth looking into swapping a late 3400 (WAY better engine) in, then adding boost (M90? Turbo?). That'd be the cheap way. You could also get the latest and greatest 3500/3600/3900/etc. incarnations of the 60° and put them in but those are going to cost you a bit more coin. There are a couple of hangups using the FWD block in a RWD application, but nothing too tough to overcome. Specifically, you'll have to drill new holes into the block for the starter, mounts would be a DIY most likely, and hoses/accessories might get tricky. Not rocket science but worth mentioning.

You should swap the seats out of the W-body, seat swaps are cake. Maybe look into Beretta (Z26) seats, they've got huge bolsters and would look fairly GM-period appropriate.

Bryce

John Brown
9/8/08 2:01 p.m.

It is rare... and a piece of crap... I have absolutely no qualms about hacking up a terd for the greater good.

I will drive it until its repair costs outweight the value of the car. Currently I am in to it for $700.00 for the car + $110.00 for the brake pads and rotors. It needs a ball joint, tie rod end and a set of tires but the most important thing it needs is an ABS pump assembly which DOES NOT exist at all anywhere and costs eleventybillionty dollars to replace.

Oh and the cowl is different between the EABS can and the vacuum brake cars... meaning they don't bolt up without cutting out a section of the cowl!!!

I can drive it now but it will fail completely and at that point I will cut and gut.

LT1 Fs are not so cheap around here, Actually anywhere in the state. We are like New Jersey with F Bodies (two people are laughing their asses off right now) Since fuel went up they GOT popular.

V6 cars get about the same fuel mileage and are usually found for the $1200-1500 range.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous New Reader
9/8/08 6:55 p.m.
John Brown said:We are like New Jersey with F Bodies (two people are laughing their asses off right now) Actually only white IROCs have held their value here in the garden state. I think these are in your neck of the woods. They seem pretty cheap... and look on the bright side. The hood, fenders and doors are plastic so they shouldn't rot out for a long while. http://detroit.craigslist.org/cto/829821889.html http://detroit.craigslist.org/cto/830002791.html http://detroit.craigslist.org/cto/824982829.html
patgizz
9/8/08 9:27 p.m.

john you dont have to cut anything, the firewall plate that the brake booster bolts to is a bolt in affair.

i've converted a few w bodies to vacuum brakes from the PM3(last i saw a reman is $1100+)

patgizz
9/8/08 9:40 p.m.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131185

$3000 LT1/T56 formula with 120k

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZcU1BDtz1gSrL20d3xVbZVkHv2AqeDzEGjQ80uLyYWB2pcWb11z1FRCrm1cLIGwU