1 2 3
Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
8/24/12 1:14 p.m.

There is a team of guys racing a Ford Fairlane 500 on the Nurburgring in classic stuff over in Germany

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
8/24/12 1:29 p.m.

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
8/24/12 2:06 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: In reply to Steve Chryssos: And I bet you cried every time you drove it down to wherever.....

Oh, it was rough, for sure. And it was never that fastest car at the track day, but always the most engaging. The crazy 315's will stick no matter what, but the car's not much for rotating. In the shop, it was also the car that we kept on the lift so that we could stare at the gorgeous one-off tube frame. Has a truck arm rear suspension with a panhard bar and custom a-arms up front.

Another shot...

Cars like these are quite good for open road events such as Silver State and Sandhill.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
8/24/12 5:13 p.m.

I agree 100% with everything that has been postd in this thread.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/24/12 10:15 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Does a late 80's B-body GM count? I've been wanting to do that to the last of the box-style caprices for a while. Only mine would be more modern in the drivetrain dept (Thinking LS7 or LS9 with a viper T-56).

The B body makes a good looking racecar. I'm collecting parts to make my 86 Monte look like a Nascar car

Wally
8/24/12 10:23 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Since we're speaking of stockcars, about what year did NASCAR stop having "stock based" cars? As in the cars didn't really start out as factory built tubs or shells? If I had to guess, I would say it was the early or mid eighties, or at least the silluetes still fairly convincing at that point. This looks like something that I could duplicate. But OTOH, I don't know close this is to an actual cup car of that period.

By the Mid 70's they were all tube frame with as little as the hood, grill, roof, C pillar and trunk lid coming from the street car. The Chicken pit car in the picture has a bit more stock metal than most as it was thrown together for a movie. Look at this one the Elliott brothers built and you can see there are no door seams or side window channels and a better job of shaping and fitting all the pieces together.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
8/25/12 7:07 p.m.

Would 275/60/15 tires on 8" wheels give the desired look?

I have been planning a build in my head along these lines for years.

Less radical and more budget conscious but n the same direction. B-body is leading at the moment but I've daydreamed about doing it to everything from a swb full size van to old A-body's.

We need more pics for insperation, come on guy's.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
8/25/12 8:28 p.m.

I'm really tempted to do a 60's stock car type build. Stripped out car with simple roll bar, radiused wheel wells, big block & 4 speed on 15" wheels.

My Firebird's got more of a Trans AM look than a stock car look. Although I've driven it on the street with stickers I found it causes too much distraction in traffic (caused accident) so I take them off on the street now and create a new sticker layout for each track day or race. Full cage, nascar Kirkeys with head halo, six point Schroths, fire systems etc.

Wally
8/25/12 8:54 p.m.

15x8 doesn't look bad but for not much money you can pick up the real ones in 15x10. I haven't figured out what size tire I need yet. They are a 5x5 bolt pattern same as the Impala ss/ 9c1 you just need the biggerlug nut with the correct taper. I have spent too much time looking into this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-Basset-Wheels-15x10-great-condition-nascar-arca-imca-race-used-/290763559527?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item43b2dbd267&vxp=mtr

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast New Reader
8/25/12 10:55 p.m.

Heard of a guy here in Chicago's south suburbs who took an early 90's T-bird and painted it up like Davey Allison's minus the numbers and sponsor. I think it was Black and white Havoline car

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
8/26/12 10:08 a.m.

In reply to Rad_Capz:

You should make posters of your car. I would hang them in my ManCave . . .

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/26/12 10:27 a.m.

In reply to Iusedtobefast:

Back in the 80's I saw quite a few Bill Elliot replica T-birds tooling around. More recently I'll still see #8 Jr replica Monte Carlos complete with numbers and sponsors decals.

Wally
8/26/12 5:10 p.m.

When I was about 7 or 8 the Skoal rep on my Dad's 7up route had one of these. He lived across the street from a guy that had a General Lee making it the coolest street in New York. http://www.beforeblack.net/skoal.htm

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Reader
8/26/12 7:00 p.m.

I want to take one of these

and make it look as much like this as possible

and try and do it for under $2014

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
8/26/12 8:31 p.m.

In reply to moparman76_69:

I'd go for the ITT look myself

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast New Reader
8/26/12 8:38 p.m.

Why dont they bring that series back. That would be some fun. Hw about minvans or suvs? :D

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nhgdCI7Jiy1ZOHKUwPIrYWrs92Cz7Nwu7Dbf6lFONEjrQvwxvGKEdui99WMPmQl4