DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
12/8/23 2:21 p.m.

I had my 2003 R53 MINI wrecked by an errant Kenworth a little over three weeks ago. I figured it would be a write-off and I was somewhat worried that I would get a lowball offer. I was planning on driving it through the winter and selling it in the spring and I figured I'd list it at $43-4400 and take anything over $3500. Got the insurance company offer today and it's over $5500 and they asked me to check the option list to be sure the adjuster got everything. He missed the powered glass sunroof, so the number may go up a bit even.  Since I bought a replacement MINI, with only 12,400 miles on it, for $7500, I feel pretty good about it. $2000 out of pocket, but I dropped 136,000 miles and got a rust free car. Life is good.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/8/23 2:33 p.m.

I like your attitude, sir!  Smacked by a Kenworth and $2k out of pocket with nothing but a new MINI and a smile to show for it.  :)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/8/23 3:18 p.m.

One for the good guy(s)!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/8/23 3:44 p.m.

Good deal, it happens sometimes.  This last summer I got some hail damage on my e28 BMW, and after a little wrangling with the insurance company's claim adjuster they cut me a check for $2k.  I then took the car to an old German guy who actually used to do PDR at the BMW factory and he took care of the dents for $1k, so I made a profit on the deal (minus the aggravation, of course.)

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
12/8/23 4:33 p.m.

Should you still argue and negotiate?  You wearing a mask cause it looks like your trying to rob me....

LOL 

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
12/8/23 5:26 p.m.

Please share the name of your insurer.  So rarely does someone have good results, I would like to know who they are.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
12/8/23 6:59 p.m.

In reply to porschenut :

Farm Bureau (Michigan).....I've been with them about 23 years. One prior claim where I was rear-ended and everything was fixed without issue that time, too.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
12/9/23 9:24 a.m.

All insurance companies are evil and intentionally lowball you on total loss offers. Have you not read the other threads on the forum?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/23 9:35 a.m.

My new to me M5 market value versus KBB value is a big spread. I already asked my agent to look at an agreed value policy just so we don't have to fight about comps should there be a problem down the road. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
12/9/23 12:57 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

The three comps FB used surprised me. They're listed, complete with VINs and the dealership names, exact mileages, and the asking prices. The prices are high, two of them at $6900, so that explains why I was surprised. I'm used to looking at mostly private sales on Marketplace and they sourced their info from Autotrader.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
12/9/23 8:05 p.m.
ddavidv said:

All insurance companies are evil and intentionally lowball you on total loss offers. Have you not read the other threads on the forum?

The adjuster was obviously drunk, cash that check quick.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/10/23 8:55 a.m.

Glad you're ok and having it work out finacailly to!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/10/23 9:14 a.m.
dean1484 said:

My new to me M5 market value versus KBB value is a big spread. I already asked my agent to look at an agreed value policy just so we don't have to fight about comps should there be a problem down the road. 

Pics or it didn't happen. LOL.
Do you still have the Benz?

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
12/10/23 11:13 p.m.

I've been with Farm Bureau in New Mexico and Colorado for more than 30 years and have had a few claims.  They have always treated me fairly and quickly, with what I think are generous amounts.  My experiences with the company has been very good.  Of course, I live in a small town, so that could have something to do with it, too.  I do have my Corvette with Hagerty, though.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/11/23 10:37 a.m.

USAA just did something similar for me. First offer was fair but I asked if there was any more room- but stated I felt the offer was fair. They gave me another grand. 
I know I'm paying more- but I like the excellent service when crap happens. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
12/11/23 10:42 a.m.
grover said:

USAA just did something similar for me. First offer was fair but I asked if there was any more room- but stated I felt the offer was fair. They gave me another grand. 
I know I'm paying more- but I like the excellent service when crap happens. 

ding ding ding! This is the point everyone misses.

I feel like consumers are laser focused on what insurance costs you every month, and completely ignore what the level of insurance aggravation is going to be when you need them. Also a USAA member here. It's a little more each month, but the few times I've used them have been fair and seemless. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
12/12/23 9:04 a.m.

Having worked for something like five different companies in my career, I feel this rule is pretty accurate:  the more they advertise, the poorer their claim service is.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7f6EGM2v3HVOElNOVwHAe5MkRHjuzQ1Hb1xGNohntAqAiI1VmRxOCkgEifskn2u4