aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/9/11 12:12 a.m.

And this is quite the rat, if not strictly period

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-Volkswagen-Bettle-Bug-Rat-Rod-Punch-Buggy-/220722304511?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item33641315ff

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
1/9/11 9:17 a.m.

I like that.. not over done.. very simple.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
1/9/11 9:57 a.m.
Ignorant should've wrote: I don't like that.. way over done.. very derivative.

I am tired of flat black and red wheels. Paint a turd that way and people will get all excited and call it a rat rod. Where is the imagination?

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
1/9/11 10:30 a.m.

Could just be my untrained eye, but that car doesn't look like it's dropped 2.5"...Maybe just a bad angle?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
1/9/11 11:43 a.m.

Where's the spider web pinstripe and number 13 on the door?

Needs more skulls too.

Shawn

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
1/9/11 12:11 p.m.
T.J. wrote:
Ignorant should've wrote: I don't like that.. way over done.. very derivative.
I am tired of flat black and red wheels. Paint a turd that way and people will get all excited and call it a rat rod. Where is the imagination?

I'lll defend this..

I've always liked flat black. Painted a jeep flat black with a brush back in 1998. Loved it. I like the "rat" look and always will. What I don't like is the overdone rat look or "fake patina" or any of that foolishness. I still say, like our fathers did... "If It don't go, chrome it."

In fact I used, "If it don't go, Chrome it." at an operations review for a company worked with in response to some other divisions plans that were pretty but not substantive.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
1/9/11 12:56 p.m.

The flat black with red wheels combination may be a cliche, but it works for me. Flat black with yellow or green wheels wouldn't look as good - although gloss white with green or blue wheels doesn't sound too bad.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/9/11 3:12 p.m.

I like it, and I plan on painting my CMC Camaro flat black with red wheels just to be different/overdone

Auto ADD
Auto ADD Dork
1/9/11 3:22 p.m.

If you want to be different go with gloss red with flat tires. oh wait.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade HalfDork
1/9/11 4:10 p.m.

I don't like the red rims, either.

JoeyM
JoeyM Dork
1/9/11 4:43 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: Flat black with yellow or green wheels wouldn't look as good

Green wheels look fine on a rat/traditional.

yellow looks good, too

LopRacer
LopRacer New Reader
1/9/11 4:58 p.m.

I rather like the rat look especially for people like me who love cars but cannot keep a paint job nice no matter how hard I have tried in the past. I have plans to rat out quite a few of my vehicles, gives a "look" and not have to worry about getting the occasional paint scratch. Doesn't hurt that most of my cars are rats anyway.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
1/9/11 7:44 p.m.

Those do look good - I hadn't imagined that particular shade of green, and the yellow one manages to work by tying into the gold-trimmed numbers. If it weren't for the numbers and other detail work, I'd have said the yellow wheeled one would have looked better with red wheels though. I didn't really think other color wheels would actually look bad, just that on a solid black car that I'd expect red wheels to normally look better than most other colors. It is nice to see somebody going with other colors.

(And the rusty one would have looked totally wrong with red wheels. It needs a color like green to contrast more with the dull red rust.)

novaderrik
novaderrik HalfDork
1/9/11 8:04 p.m.

looks too safe and structurally sound to be a real rat rod.. also, it's about 40 years too new and lacks the proper flathead under the hood and the proper 4 foot long shifter with either an iron cross or rat fink shifter knob... this is just a nice beetle with crappy paint.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
1/9/11 8:05 p.m.

Personally, I wouldn't call that a rat rod just because it's flat black w/red wheels. Looks more like a resto in progress to me.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
1/9/11 8:31 p.m.

Looks like $20 of Rustoleum primer and $5 of Rustoleum red to me.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
1/10/11 9:11 p.m.

^^Exactly!!^^

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Reader
1/11/11 11:10 a.m.

I like that car, but to quote a friend from high school " I want to be different, just like everyone else"

subrew
subrew Reader
1/11/11 1:23 p.m.

Not even remotely a rat. Red wheels and flat black paint is about 10% of the project.

speedblind
speedblind Reader
1/11/11 7:34 p.m.

Who knew we'd reach a day when there would be rat rod purists to upset!

For the record, I like pretty much anything flat/satin black with red wheels.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
1/12/11 11:42 a.m.

Didn't mean to imply that I didn't like flat/satin black w/red wheels. Just don't think a otherwise stock car that is flat/satin black w/red wheels is a rat rod. And that Bug does look cool, just not rat.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kSZyx7MmbmowLP56sOROj6iprwFqCN68WUhLu0kF4BiOjGQzmguVvb3xCz1VjugK