RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/3/15 10:32 a.m.

As of a few weeks ago, my 2005 RX-8 with 225,000 miles began making a sound like two sheets of sand paper gently being slid across each other when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Am I correct in assuming this is a no brainer indication that I need a new clutch or is there anything else that should be considered?

Also, what “while you’re in there” things should be done…throw out bearing, needle bearing, etc.?

Thank you in advance for any advice, Brett

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
1/3/15 10:36 a.m.

Sounds more like hydraulics or tob than the clutch, but at 225,000 if that's original, you're due.

RX Reven'
1/3/15 10:50 a.m.

Interesting…I’ve noticed a reduction in back pressure on the clutch pedal when I first drive the car. Regrettably, I know it’s not fluid level as I top everything off each time I change the oil.

So, Master Cylinder and/or TOB along with clutch because 225K.

Thank you Oldtin

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/3/15 10:51 a.m.

The sound probably is the throwout bearing. Might as well do a full clutch job while you're in there. Throwout bearing, pilot bearing, disc, pressure plate, and flywheel(or resurface).

If it's a hydraulic throwout bearing, replace the master cylinder too.

RX Reven'
1/3/15 11:09 a.m.

Thank you very much Kenny.

If pilot bearing isn’t what I think of as the needle bearing, please let me know.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/3/15 3:04 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven':

You've got it, bearing in the end of the crankshaft.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
1/3/15 3:12 p.m.

And be sure to reattach the counterweight with the flywheel assembly, super important because rotary.

RX Reven'
1/4/15 10:01 a.m.
JtspellS wrote: And be sure to reattach the counterweight with the flywheel assembly, super important because rotary.

…or you could leave it off, video the epic fail, and see if you can rack up more hits than the guy that put a brick in a clothes dryer on YouTube.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vS6PMurZg8OOF5Tt1Penk1vfB0TxXYe6ubiOhcVjKUTa5VWfobmkjRLBn08jS7JT