1 2
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/22 3:00 p.m.

The requirements are simple: I need a helmet to use for autocross, rallycross and possibly track days. My previous helmet was a Pyrotect full face. 
I never needed the full face part of it, and was considering going open face.

Getting to a place to fit a helmet involves a pretty long drive, so I was going to mail order. I'm guessing the sizing on the Pyrotects are similar, so that would be the easy mode. However, if I were to go with another vendor, I'd like to hear feedback regarding the real experiences all y'all have had.

Thanks!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/22 3:15 p.m.

My go-to is SafeRacer if you know the fit already.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/8/22 3:42 p.m.

I would never use an open face helmet for track days, but that's just me.  My local shop is Discovery Parts, they are very knowledgeable about their products and have many options.  I bought a Stilo from them (and love it) but I tried 4-5 other helmets in the process.  Give them a call and order online from them.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/8/22 3:57 p.m.

Following. 

Been using a CL-17 for a while now, motorcycle helmet, but SNELL rated. I need to check the date, but I think I'm about due. I don't really ride motorcycles anymore, so my next helmet will probably be an actual car racing helmet. Not sure if I want to go full face or not. If I go open face I'll want one with a drop down visor of some sort. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
3/8/22 4:05 p.m.

I will reiterate what Shiny Groove said on open face helmets: I used one "once" in my Showroom Stock C Miata, I had a piece of debris hit me square on the cheekbone. I wasn't anywhere near another car, after that I immediately went back to a full face helmet. I sold that helmet to an autocrosser.

I like Arai helmets but they are expensive. Even on close-out mine was still $650 but the fitment is such that I find it worth it. 

As for trying one on I now what size Arai I need so I simply ordered it online.

If you can't try one on I'd go with a brand you know fits your head properly.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/8/22 4:16 p.m.

Here's a couple of articles that might help. I'll post more if I find anything else.

Find Your Fit: Are You Wearing the Right Helmet Size?

Snell SA2020 Is Here. Should You Upgrade Your Helmet?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/8/22 4:17 p.m.

Theres a zamp dealer with showroom in Greensboro/clemmons area that i met at the track. He agreed to do fittings for helmets and hans for us challenge guys and loval autocross guys. 

Is he close enough? Otherwise, i can bring my open face conquer helmet for you to try on in april.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
3/8/22 4:24 p.m.

You need to try on any helmet of a different brand than what you have now. There is more than size at issue here. Since your old Pyrotech fits you, you may be safe buying another Pyrotech without a try on. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/8/22 4:25 p.m.

I use Wine Country Motorsports, but they are local to me so I can try stuff there. They do sell online though. 

3/8/22 4:35 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Is he close enough? Otherwise, i can bring my open face conquer helmet for you to try on in april.

Might be- it's about the same distance up to VIR, where I can try on helmets.

3/8/22 4:37 p.m.

Stay full face, got it. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/8/22 4:42 p.m.

I purchased a Roux helmet last year, very happy with it, came with radio hookup and drink hookup already installed for a great price. YMMV.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/22 5:03 p.m.

Maybe a bit out of date now, but the Pyrotect full-face looked like the best "dollars per likely years of service" deal when I bought my SA2015, so if their prices are similar now, it may still be...

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
3/8/22 5:25 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

You need to try on any helmet of a different brand than what you have now. There is more than size at issue here. Since your old Pyrotech fits you, you may be safe buying another Pyrotech without a try on. 

Agreed with this.   I used to think that I didn't and what does it matter I'll just take a measurement.  Nope.  Head shapes are different, sizing can vary, the helmet I have not is not what I was expecting to buy at all and the fit varied wildly.   Find a place to try them on. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/8/22 6:25 p.m.

I too like full face for Motorsports even just rallycross.  My recent purchase was an HJC Motorsports SA2015 helmet.  It's okay for a fair price.  The ear pads don't stay fixed as well as I would like.  I may get something fancier with more options but for rallycross this works.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/8/22 10:17 p.m.

I really like my Pyrotect. Fits my head well. Tried on that and a bunch of others at wine country Motorsports and the pyrotect fit me best. 
ymmv

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/8/22 10:30 p.m.

Lots of track days require full face.

I have a Pyrotect full face SA2010. I went by their size chart and bought a Large, but it was always a little tight.  If I had sized up it may have been better. Other than that, it was a decently made value helmet.

Last year I bought a Recequip SA 2020 open face in XL. It fits better (part of that is open face) and it seems as nicely made or maybe slightly nicer than the Pyro.

[edit]  I bought the first one from some drop shipper that had the best price. It worked out fine but there was no reason to do it again. The Racequip I bought from Jeg's and it got here in a few days.  Both online.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
3/9/22 5:40 a.m.

I just bought a sa2020 racequip from summit. It is a little bit tight, but it doesn't cause a headache in the few minutes I wear it. It's a decent bang for the bucks involved.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
3/9/22 6:51 a.m.

I have a not round head, my Racequip or Pyrotech helmets always pinched front to back.  I called Pitstop USA asking what is the best brand for an oval head.  Definite answer was Bell/Stilo, they were right it fits great.

Long ago I was at Road America trying on Helmets as a vendor, couldn't believe how well a Stilo fit.   At the time my head wasn't worth a $1200 helmet, still isn't.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
3/9/22 8:04 a.m.

Bell M.8 SA2015 currently from OG Racing in Sterling Virginia. It fits incredibly well and is comfortable enough to wear for 2 hour stints in the Elantra

Next helmet will be another Bell M.8 in carbon fiber to reduce the weight as much as possible. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
3/9/22 10:32 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Theres a zamp dealer with showroom in Greensboro/clemmons area that i met at the track. He agreed to do fittings for helmets and hans for us challenge guys and loval autocross guys. 

Who is it/what shop?

I forget who I bought from last year, they were one of the sponsors of the SCCA TNIA program and were GREAT to deal with. I ordered a large Racequip...was too big. They instantly sent out a medium size for me and told me to try it and then send back whichever didnt fit. They did not charge me for the shipping of the replacement OR the shipping BACK of the one that didnt fit. 

I hate that I cant tell you who it is, it's been almost a year now, I'll have to check my emails when Im home tonight. But amazing customer service and they were inline, price-wise, with everyone else

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/9/22 12:22 p.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

I have the guys card on my desk. When i get back, ill snap a picture. 

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/9/22 12:32 p.m.
hybridmomentspass said:

I forget who I bought from last year, they were one of the sponsors of the SCCA TNIA program and were GREAT to deal with. I ordered a large Racequip...was too big. They instantly sent out a medium size for me and told me to try it and then send back whichever didnt fit. They did not charge me for the shipping of the replacement OR the shipping BACK of the one that didnt fit. 

I hate that I cant tell you who it is, it's been almost a year now, I'll have to check my emails when Im home tonight. But amazing customer service and they were inline, price-wise, with everyone else

Now, THAT is a vendor worth supporting

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/9/22 1:34 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

Everyone always says this, and for my very first autocross helmet, I did. I went to a local motorcycle shop and bought an M95 helmet in 1997. Since then I've bought 4 helmets online (or mail order), all of which fit fine. Maybe I'm just lucky. Brands were Bell, G-Force, and Zamp, and all were size XL.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro SuperDork
3/9/22 1:51 p.m.
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) said:

Following. 

Been using a CL-17 for a while now, motorcycle helmet, but SNELL rated. I need to check the date, but I think I'm about due. I don't really ride motorcycles anymore, so my next helmet will probably be an actual car racing helmet. Not sure if I want to go full face or not. If I go open face I'll want one with a drop down visor of some sort. 

The CL-17 would be M2015, the i10 replaced it. Note, HJC helmets with Snell ratings are only rated up to 2XL, the larger sizes are not.  Of course I need the 3xl in HJC, so no Snell rating for me. 

If the helmet you are looking at has an internal drop down visor, it most likely won't be Snell rated. Not sure if Snell won't test them or manufacturers don't even bother trying.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pr20D0zmwpIqJPQMJnSubrOlH5FiIZHbGgIxB7QvGbDyCdz0j9MQnYJBIo9TCmvX