1 2 3
redvalkyrie
redvalkyrie Reader
6/19/16 2:57 p.m.

Gotcha. Then moving cups are definitely my issue. I wish I could find the bad cup I had--you could clearly see it had spun against the snap ring and wore the GMB logo almost completely off.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
6/19/16 3:03 p.m.

The cups shouldn't move at all, the main purpose of the snap rings is to give a reference point to center the cross in the yoke.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/16 3:21 p.m.

YES. If the cups can move freely in the yoke, the yoke is scrap!

I think you've found your problem. U-joint cups are supposed to be a real pain in the ass press fit!

redvalkyrie
redvalkyrie Reader
6/19/16 5:20 p.m.

Hell, mine are a snap to change. I've done it twice beside the road. They slide in with just a few taps of a hammer and punch.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/16 8:18 a.m.

I know this is a bit late but I did get a reply from my contact at GMB. It went to my spam folder.

Anyway it is some interesting info from the "experts"

============

Hi Dean,

Nice to hear from you,

It is a strange one, UJ yokes with circlip grooves in them can become worn so the UJ isn’t tight in the yoke, although this usually results in it spinning and wearing more till shaft vibrates. It is unusual for it to break circlips and have caps work out of the yoke unless they were not installed correctly and made 100 %sure they were sprung out into the grooves. If they weren’t seated it can happen that the centrifugal force lets them work out and then cap ends up being extracted as well.

The only time I have ever seen circlips bend or break and extract apart from when they aren’t fitted correctly into circlip grooves in extremely high speed operation (over 8000 rpm) in race vehicles (never seen myself but have heard of it) or more often V8 supercharged or alcohol race boats where the very high constant rpm and resultant centrifugal force can bend and occasionally break the circlips but this is on much larger swing diameter UJ than in a Toyota Starlet..

Quite possible the UJ groove outer edge may be rounded off allowing it to extract more easily or is loose and as you suggest allows cap to move back and forth and damage the circlips.

The few Toyota Starlets we have seen in Australia were normally front wheel drive but earlier small Toyota Corolla’s etc usually either had staked joint shafts or a snap ring onto a groove in outside of bearing cap that seated machined face on inside of yoke ears so I am not familiar of one with circlips and grooves into the yokes for that model.

Hope this may be of some help.

Thanks and Best Regards

Andrew Abbott Manager Driveline (Automotive) Hardy Spicer (Australia)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pz8DZMIZOXWJY575hJY54LPBw2nuq7TGwONxQ2OoikYedR6Gw7Zvtnd2cgm3gNr8