SVreX MegaDork
5/8/18 3:08 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

Bench seat?  You're married!

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
5/8/18 3:09 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Italian tuneups aren't just for keep your 'cars' firing on all cylinders.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
5/8/18 3:16 p.m.

There's a fairly large list of vehicles for me, I love all things foxbody but for something different I'd like an early falcon with a mild small block build, 6 speed and decent cruising suspension. I'd also like another 2 door 80s marquis but with a big block and auto. Slightly lowered with a nice 18x8s on all 4 corners. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/8/18 3:25 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to poopshovel again :

Bench seat?  You're married!

...and cupholders. And yes, we have a drive-in theater in town. ;)

FIYAPOWA
FIYAPOWA Reader
5/8/18 3:36 p.m.

I have the same issue - I can come up with a restomod version of almost any car...  My latest affliction is wanting to turn everything into a LeMons/Chumpcar racecar - basically a low-budget restomod, with a cage and safety bits ready to take on a road course...

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/8/18 4:17 p.m.

The IROC is the only one I could get into at the moment.

I do have a hankering to get an 89 TTA at some point though.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/8/18 4:29 p.m.
STM317 said:
TheRX7Project said:

In reply to STM317 :

That first blue one you pictured gave me a little movement. It just looks right.

Just your average 8500rpm LS7 IROC. Nothing to see here.

I wondered why it sounded familiar. Mine only goes to 7000rpm though. :(

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
5/8/18 4:46 p.m.

In reply to Lugnut :

You're right. This is all stupid. I still want my formula clone. However the biggest reason I'm selling my GTA I already own because I drove a Mustang that was 10 years never and liked it more. I don't need 2 pony car projects right now and the Mustang is already a driver. Nowhere near as cool though.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/8/18 6:09 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

Oh, and I'd want to do a early-80s Supra

Clean up the lines, integrate the wheel arches better, massive rolling stock over a race car suspension and a twin turbo straight six up front.  

Seconded...or a RA21 Celica as a close second.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
5/8/18 7:20 p.m.
Nick Comstock said:

An early Pontiac Grand Am.

Ooh, I was going to say that too.  There's a guy on Youtube with a very nice GA restomod:  https://www.youtube.com/user/HVYWT73/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/8/18 7:38 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Oh man, I hadn't seen that. That is very nice! 

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
5/8/18 8:54 p.m.

Opel GT would be high on my list...I think it would be appropriate with the newer (3/4 of a Corvette V8) 285hp 4.3L V6.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
5/8/18 8:59 p.m.
Driven5 said:

Opel GT would be high on my list...I think it would be appropriate with the newer (3/4 of a Corvette V8) 285hp 4.3L V6.

I agree. I'd like to restomod a second Opel GT. That way I would have one restored stock and one restomodded. Suspension upgraded from original along with more power.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
5/8/18 10:23 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

Oh, and I'd want to do a early-80s Supra

Clean up the lines, integrate the wheel arches better, massive rolling stock over a race car suspension and a twin turbo straight six up front.  

Check out these two for sale (and the price difference between them) in my neck of the woods:

Links:

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/cto/d/1982-toyota-supra-mk2-trades/6583859077.html

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/d/1982-supra-gts-type-low-kms/6565627125.html

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
5/9/18 7:29 a.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to pushrod36 :

Even after this is accomplished there is still the issue of the bespoke or made-to-order parts required for such a car.  I cannot imagine ever selling my car and not worrying about the next owner being able to service the hodgepodge of parts.  I suspect this is the case for even the nicest resto-mod cars.

This was a big design requirement for the Molvo project. There is no one-off custom machined parts in the car beyond what was required to build the tub and mount the drivetrain.

To clarify, I have made an effort to not use special parts as much as possible.  Even so, at last count there are parts from 9 different make/model/year cars.  Any of them are available from a typical parts store, but someone unfamiliar with my car would never know that the upper radiator hose is off of a 1983 toronado and the lower hose is off of a 2001 2wd suburban with a 5.3l (for example).

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
5/9/18 8:12 a.m.

I think it'd be fun to do a restomod checker cab.  When you really need to be there on time.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/9/18 8:39 a.m.
Driven5 said:

That’s just begging for the red Gran Sport stripes!

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
5/9/18 10:17 a.m.
pushrod36 said:
NOHOME said:

In reply to pushrod36 :

Even after this is accomplished there is still the issue of the bespoke or made-to-order parts required for such a car.  I cannot imagine ever selling my car and not worrying about the next owner being able to service the hodgepodge of parts.  I suspect this is the case for even the nicest resto-mod cars.

This was a big design requirement for the Molvo project. There is no one-off custom machined parts in the car beyond what was required to build the tub and mount the drivetrain.

To clarify, I have made an effort to not use special parts as much as possible.  Even so, at last count there are parts from 9 different make/model/year cars.  Any of them are available from a typical parts store, but someone unfamiliar with my car would never know that the upper radiator hose is off of a 1983 toronado and the lower hose is off of a 2001 2wd suburban with a 5.3l (for example).

This is exactly why build books are so important. Of course, I haven't put together a build book, but you should. cheeky

dunruhroy
dunruhroy New Reader
5/9/18 4:42 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

I wish I could upvote this 12 timeswink

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
5/10/18 4:55 a.m.
Harvey said:
STM317 said:

Just your average 8500rpm LS7 IROC. Nothing to see here.

I wondered why it sounded familiar. Mine only goes to 7000rpm though. :(

Harvey, Harvey, Harvey...I'm concerned. What are you doing with your life? You deserve so much better than 7000 lowly rpm! Time to rip that junky truck motor out of there and upgrade. I'll help you out by taking the old boat anchor off your hands. I'll even do you a solid and give you $20 more than scrap value.

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
5/10/18 7:14 a.m.
Lugnut said:

I don't understand this. This seems to me that it's nothing more than throwing money at something that looks cool to make it drive remotely like a modern car, which by every single measurable criteria are superior, safer, cleaner, and reliabler. I feel like this is the exact opposite of my own personal values when it comes to cars - keep them reliable, keep them safe, and don't change anything until it either needs replacement or you have completely maxed out its performance. 

I am positive I've told this story here before, but I'll do a quick recap of how all of this seems to me. I had an E30 M3 that I replaced with an E46 M3. I sold the E30 to a friend of mine who was just getting started doing track days. He took it out twice (both times to Gingerman Raceway), had the same instructor both times, and at the end of the second day he came up to me, very excited, and said, "My instructor said that I really should put coilovers and swaybars on the car because this suspension is really holding me back and I could go a lot faster with a new suspension!" He'd had the car for two DEs and he was ELEVEN SECONDS SLOWER at Gingerman than I was in the very same car. Why in the WORLD would you modify something when you haven't reached its potential yet?

I've had a crash now and I can't imagine pushing the performance of a car without crumple zones and airbags and all of that good stuff. A brand new Camaro 2.0t is going to be cheaper than any of these cars and will outperform almost all of them. It will most certainly out-safety any of them.

This is very honestly not a rant and not an "I'm right and this is stupid" post. I really want this explained to me because I've never understood it and some of you are super passionate about it. I just can't grok it. What am I missing, other than "old Supras look cool" and "3rd gen Camaros look cool"? I recently drove a 3rd gen Camaro and it was AWFUL! What am I unable to process about these cars? :)

The measure for every modification I make to my restomod car is whether it will make me want to drive it more, and whether it will bring me closer to my above stated goal.  More power and wider tires will not make me want to drive it more.  Modern tires/compound, better brakes, better seats, faster steering box, fuel injection, etc. are all things that have done that.  Even though I'm the slowest car when I do a track day or auto-x I still smile and mean it when I get home and tell my 4 year old that I won.

I completely agree that new cars are better in every objective measure, but it brings joy to me and many people I pass when I drive the old car.  How boring would cars and coffee be if it looked like a dealership lot?

I will also add that having this project has landed me two jobs because it convinced the employers that I was a "hands on" engineer.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/10/18 8:21 a.m.

It would have to be a 65/66 Mustang Fastback.  Updated suspension, stiffened chassis with enough cage to keep the chassis from twisting like my old one did, maybe IRS w/3:50 posi-traction, 5 speed, 400 hp 347 with fuel injection, 17 x 9 wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sports - I messed around with carburetors back in the day and I am not doing that again.   

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
5/10/18 8:28 a.m.

I wanted to put a 1UZ V8 into my '63 Comet with a manual trans. Lowered a bit, with disc brakes and MII suspension and IRS.

Some day, it'll be built.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
5/10/18 11:15 a.m.

I just wanted to clarify that I don't think it's stupid or that people shouldn't do it... Just that I don't understand it! Maybe I think a bit that modifying components before their capability has been reached is a little dumb, but that's only because of my personal priorities and activities with my cars. I don't do events that don't involve driving - I understand the bit about cars and coffee but I don't go to those very often because I don't do events where my car sits, turned off. My goal is to drive them as fast as they can possibly be driven, and I want to be a fast driver, not a mediocre driver in a fast car. And you can't do that on the street and stay safe to yourself and others.

I didn't mean to sound demeaning and I wasn't trying to crap on what you like! Honest! Thanks for the explanations :)

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/10/18 11:20 a.m.

In reply to Lugnut :

I don't think anybody thought you were trying to be demeaning. Everyone looks at it differently and hopefully our responses helped shed a little light on the other side of it for you.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
79CWYGOqpJZVVxNXKqGyHaN8ISBoRNpMPigYwf6GQjMh7QScLq1q2TyCzs68JqyQ