frenchyd MegaDork
7/16/23 11:01 a.m.

Ask me in a few years. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
7/16/23 11:08 a.m.
frenchyd said:

Ask me in a few years. 

It'll be tough, you'll still be talking about the Tesla you're going to buy "someday"

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/16/23 11:10 a.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

For better or worse, Tesla has started Cybertruck production in Austin...

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/15/business/tesla-cybertruck-launch/index.html

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-builds-first-cybertruck-after-two-years-delays-2023-07-15/

Interesting, I failed to catch this at investor day meeting.   
  Did you know the Cybertruck  will have bidirectional charging? 
    They mentioned it can be used to power a house, or charge another EV.  

Guess that answers the question of  what to do if your EV runs out of battery on the road.  

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
7/16/23 11:19 a.m.
frenchyd said:

Guess that answers the question of  what to do if your EV runs out of battery on the road.  

What? Hope you have the cell phone of someone that has a cyber truck that's close enough to come charge you? Is that your solution?

boulder_dweeb
boulder_dweeb Reader
7/16/23 11:21 a.m.

I am reminded of the OLD saying: "Never get in a wrassling match with a pig........You both get dirty, and the pig enjoys it!"

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/16/23 11:29 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:
frenchyd said:

What? Hope you have the cell phone of someone that has a cyber truck that's close enough to come charge you? Is that your solution?

I guess I see a business opportunity.   If I'm going to buy a truck for my refueling station, It would be a Cybertruck to get people from the surrounding highways and give them just enough charge to  get to my station.   I'd profit from the service call, from the recharging, and from the food and snacks etc I sell them while they are waiting to be fully charged.  

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/23 11:39 a.m.
frenchyd said:
Steve_Jones said:
frenchyd said:

I guess I see a business opportunity.   If I'm going to buy a truck for my refueling station, It would be a Cybertruck to get people from the surrounding highways and give them just enough charge to  get to my station.   I'd profit from the service call, from the recharging, and from the food and snacks etc I sell them while they are waiting to be fully charged.  

Do you smoke Crack on the weekends? 

Because that sounds like the response from someone who smokes Crack. 

Just curious, and in case you didn't know, Crack not only makes you sound insane, it kills. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/16/23 11:44 a.m.

Can somebody help me understand the how a company can consistently manufacture far more cars than it sells?

All the magic numbers being thrown around here made me do a little research, and I honestly don't understand how it is possible...

Since 2018, Tesla has produced 4,350,040 cars.  They have sold 4,251,836 cars.  That's a shortage of 98,204 cars.  Which means there is over $5 billion missing from their books.  Could be up to $10 billion.

There are only 2 years (2019 and 2021) when Tesla sold more cars than it built.  This year to date they are already down 31,493 cars.  In 2022 they were down by 56,030.

How does this work?  (I know we are trying to avoid actual math in this thread, but I really am curious).  Do they just crush them to keep their production numbers up?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
7/16/23 11:57 a.m.
boulder_dweeb said:

I am reminded of the OLD saying: "Never get in a wrassling match with a pig........You both get dirty, and the pig enjoys it!"

Does something give you the impression we are not all enjoying it?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/16/23 11:58 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Magic!

edit: serious answer, I'm sure a percentage are write offs from transportation damage, loaners, dealer vehicles etc. not sure it would be 100k cars though. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/16/23 12:05 p.m.

78,000 of those excess cars were built in the last 12 months.  That's 5% of their production.

Looks to me like Tesla has a demand problem.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/23 12:14 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

The guy calculating range also handles inventory. Sometimes he rounds up a bit. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/16/23 12:22 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

I think I understand it.   There are 2 parts. 
if you go on the Tesla web site and follow it far enough you'll get to a place where they list inventory cars. 
  There typically are lower prices and or incentives. Free charging for 2 years, included options at no cost etc. 

Same  thing car dealers do .  Except it tends to be offers to  various markets Asia, Europe, North America.  I've noticed those offers/ deals etc tend to not last very long, again just like local dealers. 
  The second part of that is in transit.  Or demo's. I can't imagine how many cars are on a RORO   Or how long that lasts  but it has to be some. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/16/23 12:25 p.m.

Ford is acknowledging they have surplus inventory of EV's. 
  The new sales program offers factory discounts  and lowered interest rates of 1.9% 

I should imagine dealer discounts would also be available rather than have to pay interest on floor lab.  

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/16/23 12:59 p.m.
Toyman! said:
frenchyd said:
Steve_Jones said:
frenchyd said:

Do you smoke Crack on the weekends? 

Because that sounds like the response from someone who smokes Crack. 

Just curious, and in case you didn't know, Crack not only makes you sound insane, it kills. 

I don't agree with Frenchy, but I don't think he smokes crack.  Now if you want to talk about a dude driving 172 on public roads smoking crack and taking selfies, I'd love to see that discussed here.  

7/16/23 1:01 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

They also give away cars to certain people to make their product appear super cool and awesome.  And then there are cars for execs to drive and yah some get destroyed in testing.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/16/23 1:05 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/16/23 1:07 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to SV reX :

They also give away cars to certain people to make their product appear super cool and awesome.  And then there are cars for execs to drive and yah some get destroyed in testing.  

I'm sure one is sent to Sandy Munro to tear apart as he does for so many other car manufacturers. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
7/16/23 1:13 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

You replied 2 times after that post and only got "insulted" after someone else called him out. Since you waited 90 mins and 2 posts later, I don't believe you really cared about it at all. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/16/23 1:41 p.m.

I see buying a used chevy bolt mentioned a bunch as a way into the EV market on the "cheap".

Just looked in my area up here in Canada,a 3 to 4 yr old bolt asking price is pretty close to new GTi money.

Not possible to stuff enough rocks into my head to think a used bolt wins in that scenerio.

Seemed like a good time for something other then the current back and forth :)

7/16/23 1:48 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

I see buying a used chevy bolt mentioned a bunch as a way into the EV market on the "cheap".

Just looked in my area up here in Canada,a 3 to 4 yr old bolt asking price is pretty close to new GTi money.

Not possible to stuff enough rocks into my head to think a used bolt wins in that scenerio.

Seemed like a good time for something other then the current back and forth :)

And which one is more fun to drive?  I really came so close to a Bolt, then a Fit, but ended up with a Civic Si.  I will readily admit I want cars that are fun to drive.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/16/23 2:00 p.m.
SV reX said:

Can somebody help me understand the how a company can consistently manufacture far more cars than it sells?

All the magic numbers being thrown around here made me do a little research, and I honestly don't understand how it is possible...

Since 2018, Tesla has produced 4,350,040 cars.  They have sold 4,251,836 cars.  That's a shortage of 98,204 cars.  Which means there is over $5 billion missing from their books.  Could be up to $10 billion.

There are only 2 years (2019 and 2021) when Tesla sold more cars than it built.  This year to date they are already down 31,493 cars.  In 2022 they were down by 56,030.

How does this work?  (I know we are trying to avoid actual math in this thread, but I really am curious).  Do they just crush them to keep their production numbers up?

ughhhhhhh this forum software.  Took me 5 mins of berkeleyjng around just to be able to type outside of the quote.

I wonder how many Ford (or other manufacturer) cars are sitting on lots around the country.  Is 78k a lot or a little?  In the short term most manufacturers make more than they sell in order to have some inventory.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
7/16/23 2:11 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

My point exactly,yes there's plenty of cool and quick EV's coming out every day.... I simply can't afford any of them.

The rest are ev's for no real reason or fit a very specific market....IE a city dweller just wanting to commute back and forth while thinking their saving the planet.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/23 3:33 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Reasonable discussion deserves reasonable response. You seldom manage either.

You seriously suggested buying a $50k truck to charge EVs that exceeded their range. That is  pure insanity when a $1k generator on an existing tow truck will do the same thing and actually turn a profit. 

I'm actually paying you a compliment by suggesting that that much lack of sense has to be caused by chemicals instead of the alternative.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/16/23 5:25 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

So how long would a portable generator take to out a meaningful charge on an EV?

I personally think it would be easier for a rollback to transport it to a place with a charging station. 

1 ... 100 101 102 103 104

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
0MKKkuxAYJDechfshOEBWXI76A8mxXtix7JHBa8UzpK8HUOyDd4qUpmOMvg6GTnL