1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 ... 104
frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/27/23 2:23 p.m.
racerfink said:

In reply to frenchyd :

15 minutes for 200 miles?  That's laughable.

It took this guy 45 minutes to get from roughly 32% to 90%, which put him at 230 miles of range for $23.  That isn't counting the 15 minutes it took for him to find the charger that worked.

I can put $23 of regular unleaded in my Camaro and get 210 miles of range, and do that in under six minutes.

There are 17,000 Tesla superchargers 12,000 just for Tesla's. 
  Then there are others. If they are working ( not a very good reputation in that regard ) 
they vary in rate of charge.  None as fast as Tesla chargers.   Some are even slower than  you listed.  
  The guy on here with the Ford F 150 lightening  experienced that. 
   The reason Ford and Chevy plus others are starting to use the Tesla charging network is they are always working.  I don't know if older ones will be able to accept the full speed of the Tesla Chargers. And 200 miles in 15 minutes is their standard rate of charge. 
  Besides experienced people don't try to get a full charge on the road.  Batteries take a faster charge  in that midrange. 
  Most commonly they are used as range extenders rather than an attempt to get a full charge. 
       If the battery has a 350 mile range  200 extra miles  in 15 minutes  is faster than I could get the women in and out of the bathroom 

550 miles is about  the range a family will go  per day on vacation.    
  Realize that some cars range is 400+ miles. 
    I personally think extended range is a bad investment.   The average American family travels 12,000 miles a year and that's less than 45 miles a day.    If you travel 350 miles a day 5 days a week 52 weeks a year.  That's over 90,000 miles per year.    
         I was a traveling salesman covering 3 states  and  averaged between 65,-85,000 miles a year but I started a lot of mornings at 4:00 am and would get home about 10-11 PM 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/27/23 2:35 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to mtn :

The not quite ready product is an odd thing to get a pass on too. Audi almost left the country over a couple cars crashing through garages, and Tesla lets the customers develop autopilot. I can't picture another company pulling that off. 

I remember the unintentional acceleration of Audi. But weren't some people were killed because of it? 
Yes  in the big picture lawyers probably  got too greedy.  
  As far as autonomous driving goes.  Connected by computers and learning from more and more drivers  really seems a smart way to do it.   Not when EV's are barely 2% of new car sales 

But as millions and millions of people put on all those miles  the computers will quickly become safer than  the average driver. 
      Mind you, at this point nobody is supposed to put in their destination and climb in the back seat drunk. 
        I don't know when every street and intersection  of a major city  is in the computers memory.  But that's going to be required before autonomous taxi's become a real thing.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/27/23 2:41 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:
mtn said:

I'm still waiting for a realistic EV minivan.  Until then, no chance of an EV replacing my main ICE.

(six more)

There is the Pacifica plug in hybrid. I'm not certain I'd trust it.

Rivian has patents for sliding doors that are not related to their Amazon truck. So I think it's coming. 

I have come around to the idea of the Pacifica hybrid. Initially dismissed due to losing the stow-n-go, but I seriously doubt any EV minivan could have that either, so... still... much of my want for an EV is to simply be "done" with going to gas stations (other than for the toys).  While a hybrid will reduce those gas station visits, it won't eliminate them.  Plus, there will still be the ICE to maintain.

I want an EV because I'm lazy.

Oh... and Frenchy - it's "yuan", not "juan."

Thank you.   I'll try to remember Yuan.  
  Would the model Y Tesla  with 7 seats meet your needs?  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/27/23 2:46 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I'm waiting for the Tesla model 2 to be available. But I'm reasonably sure I've told you that several times now.  
  Oh and I'm trying to get my neighbor to allow me to cut down the trees on the property line  so my house qualifies for the free solar panels. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/27/23 3:07 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I don't care about the number of seats. I'm not carrying people. I want the "van" part.

I'm ambivalent towards Tesla, but as far as an EV van from them - I'll believe it when I see it.  Granted, I'd be more interested in one based on a stretched Model 3 or Y platform than on the Cybertruck. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/27/23 3:24 p.m.
mtn said:

True, I agree with all of your points. But if the lack of going to the gas station is a primary driver, I'd start tracking how much you drive every day. For my wife and I, when I did the calculations on the Pacifica hybrid, I came up with us going to the gas station about 6 times a year outside of vacation. This was all just conjecture though, we ended up with a KIA. My cousin has the new Jeep PHEV; I'll ask him how much he's filling up nowadays. He has a 50 mile round trip commute, but I'm not sure how often he is in the office.

How much I drive is part of the issue. Right now, a pure EV isn't practical since I am living in a hotel and there is no charger there.  There are chargers at the client site, but for direct employees only, not contractors.  Otherwise, I'm driving 400+ miles between PA and NH.  When I'm home for the weekend, I often barely drive at all.  In theory, after this assignment is completed, I'll be one-day-a-week in the office, which I plan to coincide with car club dinners, so in those cases I would often drive one of the toy cars. 

Regardless, I have no plans to replace the current minivan until there is a reasonable reason to do so.  If my past 2008 Dodge minivan was a reasonable estimate of useful lifespan, this 2017 model should last me for another 100K miles or until around 2027.  When that time comes, I'll see what the options are. I'm sure they will be different than what they are now. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/23 3:36 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

So waiting for the manufacturer to actually build the car you want should be added to your list. 

I'm curious why you think your neighbor would let you cut down his trees so you could put in solar panels. If I was in his shoes that would be a hard no.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/27/23 4:53 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Toyman! :

I'm waiting for the Tesla model 2 to be available. But I'm reasonably sure I've told you that several times now.  
  Oh and I'm trying to get my neighbor to allow me to cut down the trees on the property line  so my house qualifies for the free solar panels. 

Every time somebody says my home qualifies for "free solar panels" they put a lease in front of me that requires monthly payments for me and anybody I might sell my house to.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
6/27/23 5:44 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

So waiting for the manufacturer to actually build the car you want should be added to your list. 

And you would think that would be higher up the list. Maybe it's just me, but I tend to decide what kind of vehicle I want to purchase, then weigh the available options. Frenchyd appears to be trying to convince us to start with a limited selection of options, then choose from that small group of vehicles. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/27/23 6:37 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
frenchyd said:

In reply to Toyman! :

Every time somebody says my home qualifies for "free solar panels" they put a lease in front of me that requires monthly payments for me and anybody I might sell my house to.

Yep. I spoke to my realtor about it and she told me it was a bad idea unless you can pay for the entire installation upfront with cash.

Apparently when you go to sell, most mortgage companies won't roll in a solar panel loan, so you have to use whatever equity you have in the home to pay off the solar loan, before closing on the sale. She told me she had a few clients burned that way because they didn't ask first. 

My realtor(s) were great to work with (husband and wife team) have been invaluable on additional advice and helping us find quality help around the OKC area. 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/27/23 6:55 p.m.
z31maniac said:
frenchyd said:

In reply to Toyman! :

Yep. I spoke to my realtor about it and she told me it was a bad idea unless you can pay for the entire installation upfront with cash.

Apparently when you go to sell, most mortgage companies won't roll in a solar panel loan, so you have to use whatever equity you have in the home to pay off the solar loan, before closing on the sale. She told me she had a few clients burned that way because they didn't ask first. 

My realtor(s) were great to work with (husband and wife team) have been invaluable on additional advice and helping us find quality help around the OKC area. 

Yeah. That happened to a friend of mine. He ended up paying it off before the house was sold.

But how can they say that the solar panels are "free" if there are payments involved. I don't get it.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/27/23 6:59 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

My father used to help law enforcement investigate accidents.  I have a theory from him on the entire "unintended acceleration" debacle but personal responsibility is no longer en vogue.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
6/27/23 7:10 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

zero out of pocket equals free in some folks minds......

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/27/23 7:47 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

Nothing is free.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/27/23 8:06 p.m.
z31maniac said:
frenchyd said:

In reply to Toyman! :

Yeah. That happened to a friend of mine. He ended up paying it off before the house was sold.

But how can they say that the solar panels are "free" if there are payments involved. I don't get it.

You are right, I should have typed in no out of pocket costs. To be paid for with excess electricity generated from the panels . Then to satisfy the lawyers here I should have copied by hand the contracts involved.   Explained that historically it takes   7-11 years to reach payoff. And then they are FREE 

You really don't need to go to such lengths.  

parker
parker HalfDork
6/27/23 8:17 p.m.

I'm going off grid for a couple of weeks.  I expect to see this thread at 2000 posts by the time I get back.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/27/23 8:59 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

Free solar panels go with sub $20K Teslas. Just ask Frenchy. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/27/23 9:04 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

So, they are free IF you give up 11 years worth of revenue stream, right?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/27/23 9:14 p.m.

C'mon you berkers! 4 more pages!

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/27/23 9:16 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I don't care about the number of seats. I'm not carrying people. I want the "van" part.

I'm ambivalent towards Tesla, but as far as an EV van from them - I'll believe it when I see it.  Granted, I'd be more interested in one based on a stretched Model 3 or Y platform than on the Cybertruck. 

Perhaps in your timeline.   I'm not sure there is a viable market for mini Vans. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/27/23 9:26 p.m.
SV reX said:

In reply to frenchyd :

So, they are free IF you give up 11 years worth of revenue stream, right?

On something with a 30 +year life span. 
  Yes I'd be willing to give  up 7-11 years of income to gain  30+ years of free electricity.  The big question is why wouldn't you?  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/27/23 9:40 p.m.
SV reX said:
Tom1200 said:

Free solar panels go with sub $20K Teslas. Just ask Frenchy. 

Not in every state ( although I'm not sure why)   But here in Minnesota and several other states. 
  I guess the real question is why not all 50 states?  

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/27/23 11:27 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Who says I wouldn't buy solar?

Im just smart enough to know it's not free, and I don't feed people that kind of BS. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
6/27/23 11:45 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I've always wondered how people get stuck with solar panels, now I see how. You're a solar salemans wet dream. He tells you "it's free" and you sign up. Amazing. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
6/27/23 11:59 p.m.

This thread gone kablewy,

The thoeries are kinda screwy, 

Won't you get hip to this timely tip

Get your kicks on page 66.

1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 ... 104

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
d5uPizG2a420AIBKpA7pzP3rvo97EZNkFYsbGCUSZrx8z8k6fdJEG5JS3XpZZJk7