1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 ... 104
Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
6/28/23 1:53 p.m.

There are two ways to get "free" solar installed on your roof. 

The state/utility program that Frenchyd keeps referencing sounds like an On Bill Financing type of arrangement, but I can't find the specifics right now. Basically they install the solar with no out of pocket cost. You pay it off monthly on your energy bill through your savings. So for example if your pre solar bill was $500 a month, your post solar bill is still $500 per month, but the amount "saved"- say $400- goes towards paying off the solar. That continues for however many years it takes until you own the system free and clear. It's not horrible, but it's not the free lunch Frenchyd describes. You don't get the panels for free AND see an immediate reduction in your energy bill. It's also why you would owe the difference if you sold your home before the system has been paid off through your bills. Frenchyd is confused when he said it's paid for by the "extra" power the system generates that is sold back to the grid. Very few homes have a roof space/energy demand ratio that would allow for generation much greater than what they consume. Most can't match their consumption. 

The common one that salespeople call you about with "free solar" is usually a lease. Again, no out of pocket, but not free. They use your roof to install their solar system, then sell you the electricity at a reduced rate from what your utility charges. They become your utility. You get a lower bill and get to switch to mostly green energy, but you will never get a payback like a fully paid for system can provide. There can also be issues when selling the house, since you have a long term lease on the system that a home buyer may not want to take over. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/28/23 2:09 p.m.
Toyman! said:
frenchyd said:

The prime requirement is the vehicles are American made  with "American" batteries. 

How is that going to work with your Model 2? From what I'm reading it is Chinese designed and will be Chinese built. 

You haven't been reading that from Tesla.
       The model Two is an American design it will be built in Mexico  using American made  batteries.  Thus it qualifies.  
     Yes  about a million will be made in Berlin , A million in  China and 2 million in Mexico. Production is expected 3/4 of 2024.   
     The Chinese ones are for global consumption, the Berlin ones are for European production, the Mexican ones are for American consumption 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/28/23 2:12 p.m.
Boost_Crazy said:

There are two ways to get "free" solar installed on your roof. 

The state/utility program that Frenchyd keeps referencing sounds like an On Bill Financing type of arrangement, but I can't find the specifics right now. Basically they install the solar with no out of pocket cost. You pay it off monthly on your energy bill through your savings. So for example if your pre solar bill was $500 a month, your post solar bill is still $500 per month, but the amount "saved"- say $400- goes towards paying off the solar. That continues for however many years it takes until you own the system free and clear. It's not horrible, but it's not the free lunch Frenchyd describes. You don't get the panels for free AND see an immediate reduction in your energy bill. It's also why you would owe the difference if you sold your home before the system has been paid off through your bills. Frenchyd is confused when he said it's paid for by the "extra" power the system generates that is sold back to the grid. Very few homes have a roof space/energy demand ratio that would allow for generation much greater than what they consume. Most can't match their consumption. 

The common one that salespeople call you about with "free solar" is usually a lease. Again, no out of pocket, but not free. They use your roof to install their solar system, then sell you the electricity at a reduced rate from what your utility charges. They become your utility. You get a lower bill and get to switch to mostly green energy, but you will never get a payback like a fully paid for system can provide. There can also be issues when selling the house, since you have a long term lease on the system that a home buyer may not want to take over. 

So far none of the people I've talked to that have the system  have said anything like what you are saying.  
   If you know how would you please post a link?   

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/28/23 2:17 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Then explain it. 

Because I GUARANTEE someone is making money, and the only way that works is if someone is paying money. Makes no difference if it's short or long term. 

ITS NOT FREE. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/28/23 2:20 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Never mind. I really don't want you to try to explain it. That's a clusterberkeley. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/23 3:47 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

I could use epoxy instead of bolting the free panels on my roof. I think that would work.

I would use window weld. I got some on my hootus in 1987 and most of it's still there in spite of regular, thorough scrubbings. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/28/23 4:20 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Great. Now I've got images stuck in my head of an NYC bus driver scrubbing his hootus.  

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/28/23 4:23 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

I was wondering why he was putting solar panels on his hootus.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
6/28/23 4:29 p.m.

70 right over crest in 5,4,3,2.....................

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/28/23 4:29 p.m.

I still don't see EV's Replacing ICEs.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
6/28/23 4:39 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) :

Perhaps you will be by page 70.......

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
6/28/23 4:58 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

So far none of the people I've talked to that have the system  have said anything like what you are saying.  

Here you go. I checked the state .gov sites, no free solar mentioned. Just the various solar rebate and incentive programs. 

MN.GOV Solar

To find free, you need to look at the marketing for solar installers. The headline says free, like you claim. The details do not, and match what I and others said repeatedly. The people you have spoken to have fallen for a marketing gimmick. Here is a great example. Sensationalist "free" headline, followed by info on what the various "free" programs really mean- no upfront cost. 

Free solar through the power of marketing

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/23 5:02 p.m.

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

Next you'll tell me Tesla may be exaggerating as well. 

Oh, and page 69. Nice. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/28/23 8:14 p.m.
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Here you go. I checked the state .gov sites, no free solar mentioned. Just the various solar rebate and incentive programs. 

MN.GOV Solar

To find free, you need to look at the marketing for solar installers. The headline says free, like you claim. The details do not, and match what I and others said repeatedly. The people you have spoken to have fallen for a marketing gimmick. Here is a great example. Sensationalist "free" headline, followed by info on what the various "free" programs really mean- no upfront cost. 

Free solar through the power of marketing

Thank you.  I'll check that out. Sorry I've got company right now.    But I  appreciate  your efforts. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/28/23 8:17 p.m.
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

I still don't see EV's Replacing ICEs.

Some people simply won't.   Fortunately you don't have to.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/28/23 8:45 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

That's rich. The person here that refuses to accept reality telling others that they can't see the reality. The hypocrisy is so thick there it's like you're trolling. Literally. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
6/28/23 8:49 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to frenchyd :

That's rich. The person here that refuses to accept reality telling others that they can't see the reality. The hypocrisy is so thick there it's like you're trolling. Literally. 

Aren't trolling motors battery powered???

This is a shameless attempt to get us to page 70.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
6/28/23 8:56 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

8 more posts and we cross the line

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/28/23 9:16 p.m.

Solar. Solar. Solar...

Ruh roh

I wonder if there are any types of power generation designed to handle severe weather.....

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/28/23 9:27 p.m.

C'mon, 70. I'm doing my part.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/28/23 10:09 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

I hear hail doesn't damage natural gas generators....

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/28/23 10:23 p.m.

There are free dogs

There are free Lotus Europas

There are no free solar panels

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/28/23 10:30 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

Even the other two are not free. Food, repairs, care etc isn't free. The old adage "nothing in life is free, there's always a price" is even more relevant than ever. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
6/28/23 10:52 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/28/23 11:25 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 ... 104

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
e9BrqQOeHfESp3bJNDwSV9HMBOK3493MUwvHxzyzAT13lVlvQKcC01JEd5LPKEB6