1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 ... 104
racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/2/23 7:45 p.m.

Trollin, trollin, trollin, keep them doggies trollin...

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/2/23 8:44 p.m.

Ahhhh... now I get it. He was a car salesman. Everything is clicking into place now. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
7/2/23 9:01 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Ignore the hype.  They are so much simpler than ICE   No transmission a simple electric motor that goes forward and backwards without the need for a transmission to overcome the ICE's inefficiency. (  low power at low RPM). Electric motors make peak torque out of the hole!!  

Read the article  In April's Grassroots.   Tells both the good and bad.    
    Where else can you buy a new car with 500 hp, good handling, and a nice ride for as little as $41,990 ( up to 52,XXX)  And get a $7500 tax rebate.?  
     In Minnesota that nets out to be $31,990 , yes plus tax and delivery and any options. 
 A New car  ! 

One more point. Because they are so simple a very early one already has a million miles on it ( it only took 2 batteries to go that far.). Plus plenty of others have notably high mileage.  
  I  understand your feelings. I used to think Cheap Japanese cars couldn't possibly be good.  Then I started to sell Honda civics.  Customers convinced me otherwise. 
 Maybe you're like me?  Have something to learn?  

And yet you don't own one. Convince me they're great by telling me how your experience was. Buy one, keep a thread here showing us why we need one, etc. 

Until then, you're just running your mouth like every other Elon fanboy. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/2/23 10:09 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

I was a fan of GM's Chevy Bolt.  I am in spite of the buttery  fires.  I thought GM handled that very well replacing all affected batteries.   
  When they stopped production and then limited replacing the remaining unreplaced batteries.  
     Shorty  after that  I first heard details about the Tesla model 2 .  It fits my budget and meets my needs.  
 If that makes me a fanboy,  OK. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
7/2/23 10:23 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Then buy one

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/2/23 10:43 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Are you aware that Teslas are the most "Made in America" vehicle currently sold in the USA?

(Come on 2000 posts)

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/2/23 10:53 p.m.

On this weeks episode of Harry's Garage, he rides in a Mercedes EQXX prototype car during the Mille Miglia.  It's a super efficient, aerodynamic and lightweight electric sedan that so far has been able to go up to 750 miles on a charge.  I don't need an electric supercar that accelerates to 60 in 3 seconds, and I don't need a giant SUV or truck either - this seems like a more logical direction.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFrKzH2UZ1c

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/2/23 11:51 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Isn't it great what can be done!   On top of that Germany has some roads already where drivers can charge the battery as they drive.  
 contactless power transference.  The main application is going to be for heavy duty trucks and buses. 
  I understand Sweden also has such roads ( at least in the prototype stage).  But as I understand it Sweden is focused more on cars. 
  Also Norway has 70% of its new cars sold as EV's. The first quarter of this year. 
        The idea has merit.  Government can charge per mile driven.  Depending on where they get the electric power from they could stop sending local money  elsewhere to buy Oil or natural gas. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/2/23 11:51 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Are you aware that Teslas are the most "Made in America" vehicle currently sold in the USA?

(Come on 2000 posts)

No but it makes sense.  Labor in China is no longer cheap. They've had 15 pay increases since 2000.  Because so much of their population is aging out of the work force.  
  With China's 1 child per family rule, coming generations will be massively smaller.  Last Month China admitted they had over counted population by 100 million. And most recently they announced smaller numbers ( by millions of children ages 5 & 10.  
  In major cities the average woman is only having .8% of a child. ( or 2 women out of 10 don't have any children).  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/3/23 12:01 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Then buy one

I absolutely intend to just as soon as they are available. 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/3/23 7:54 a.m.

And Volkswagen is actually shutting  down production of EVs due to lack of demand. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/volkswagen-slashes-electric-vehicle-production-102056720.html

Because of high prices, EVs are still more of a rich man's toy than a transportation solution for most people. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/23 8:16 a.m.

Our buses have been very good maintenance wise.  Regular maintenance in place of fluid and filter changes is a few shots of grease in each end of the motor, and brakes are lasting longer due to the regen braking of the electric motors. They have fewer issues than mosern diesels that like throwing emissions codes and generate a lot of heat trying to cook everything else under the rear of the bus.  Another nice benefit is we can leave our artic buses on the road in the snow. Normal ones are drive by the last axle in the trailer half of the bus. In snow it tends to push the bus into a jackknife or waves back and forth as the bus remains stationary.  On the electrics they've added hub motors to the second axle so both halves are powered and it drives straight. We spent several days trying to get one stuck in deep snow and it pulls itself right out.  They're not Teslas so unfortunately they're still bound by reality and don't have cool features like a cloak of invisibility of the ability to time travel but otherwise they work really well. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
7/3/23 8:17 a.m.
frenchyd said:
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Then buy one

I absolutely intend to just as soon as they are available. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
7/3/23 8:20 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

I never mentioned maintenance. I actually like electric as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle. They can serve a purpose. They're just not some magical free solution to every issue known to man as this thread wants them to be. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/23 8:25 a.m.

They're not a cure for every situation but also not the evil some people want them to be. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/3/23 8:30 a.m.

That's the thing is the extremes shouting at each other. Heaven forbid you mention that ev's don't fit every need. You became the anti-christ 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/3/23 8:36 a.m.
frenchyd said:
Indy - Guy said:

In reply to frenchyd :

(Come on 2000 posts)

No but it makes sense.  Labor in China is no longer cheap. They've had 15 pay increases since 2000.  Because so much of their population is aging out of the work force.  
  With China's 1 child per family rule, coming generations will be massively smaller.  Last Month China admitted they had over counted population by 100 million. And most recently they announced smaller numbers ( by millions of children ages 5 & 10.  
  In major cities the average woman is only having .8% of a child. ( or 2 women out of 10 don't have any children).  

Yet another example of how completely out of touch you are. 

China ended the 1 child policy in 2016. 

How does 0.8% equal 20% (2 out of 10)?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
7/3/23 8:41 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

They're not a cure for every situation but also not the evil some people want them to be. 

You must be reading someone slses posts as mine, I've never said anything bad about them. We have a few Wrangler 4xe in the work fleet and installed a charger here. One guy lives 7 miles away and can get home and back on a charge.  He's close to 2000 miles on the first tank of gas. It's a game at this point. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/3/23 8:42 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

that's what we call "frenchy math". Don't question it, the numbers just work out on their own.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/3/23 8:59 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to z31maniac :

If it's on the internet it isn't completely safe from others.  That's just how the internet goes.  

Being hacked and voluntarily giving control of you thermostat to a public utility are vastly different things. 

I doubt the utility companies are hacking people's thermostats. And I doubt that folks who hack things, are trying to take over your thermostat, instead you know, hacking into your financial accounts and stealing money. 

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/3/23 9:04 a.m.

0.8 children might work. 0.8% of a child, nope. You just need to think harder than Frenchy for the Frenchy maths to work. ...Worth the effort? Nope.

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/3/23 9:11 a.m.

Our buses have been very good maintenance wise.  Regular maintenance in place of fluid and filter changes is a few shots of grease in each end of the motor, and brakes are lasting longer due to the regen braking of the electric motors. They have fewer issues than mosern diesels that like throwing emissions codes and generate a lot of heat trying to cook everything else under the rear of the bus.  Another nice benefit is we can leave our artic buses on the road in the snow. Normal ones are drive by the last axle in the trailer half of the bus. In snow it tends to push the bus into a jackknife or waves back and forth as the bus remains stationary.  On the electrics they've added hub motors to the second axle so both halves are powered and it drives straight. We spent several days trying to get one stuck in deep snow and it pulls itself right out.  They're not Teslas so unfortunately they're still bound by reality and don't have cool features like a cloak of invisibility of the ability to time travel but otherwise they work really well.

So, pretty much like the century-old electric trolleys without the rail and overhead wire. Cool. Urban busses that always run on a planned circuit are a great application for EV.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/3/23 11:23 a.m.

In general I would think commercial applications are indeed one place where EVs could take over.

Commercial vehicles tend to be stored in a yard of some type where the charging infrastructure could be centralized.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/3/23 11:37 a.m.
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

So, pretty much like the century-old electric trolleys without the rail and overhead wire. Cool. Urban busses that always run on a planned circuit are a great application for EV.

Wally.

Thanks for that.  Who made the buses?  
     Do you know how the prices compare to ICE. Buses?  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/3/23 11:41 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 ... 104

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
ycLjDo9U3GuElHkqlH4KEhOMaujDMDX7pY5U4vFECY8QQFlK3JQ7XpwohiRxrAqr