Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
7/12/23 8:40 a.m.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/12/23 8:53 a.m.
bobzilla said:
frenchyd said:

With me?  I don't worry that the utility company won't have enough money.  I worry about me.  Now I don't have oil on my property. Nor coal but the wind blows and the sun shines.  That will do.   

Yet you don't have any solar or wind at your house. At all. So they are just as useful as the lack of oil, gas or coal. Say it with me: Hyp-o-crite

If you get rid of all of those the world would be far less crowded and the planet would be saved!  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/12/23 9:57 a.m.

I found this interesting about Ford's EV inventory:

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/12/23 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I can't tell you how they are in the normal world but I can say we replace a lot of front frame horns on what appear to be smaller crashes.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/12/23 10:44 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

more than any other ICE car ?

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/12/23 10:51 a.m.

Have we discussed EV  and off roading? 

Here is the Mojave Desert we have thousands of miles of gravel roads that people use as alternate routes. There's one section of road we use as the back way into Rainbow Canyon and Caliente Nevada; this is a 106 miles of nothing. Further along the route there are some off road trails / roads.  You'd want a 4wd with at least 150 miles of range.

Also how do EVs hold up on 40 miles of washboard gravel roads; will the battery pack rattle itself to death.........I don't know but wonder if they've tested for this?

(OK this should get it some more pages)

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
7/12/23 11:00 a.m.
Tom1200 said:

Here is the Mojave Desert we have thousands of miles of gravel roads that people use as alternate routes. There's one section of road we use as the back way into Rainbow Canyon and Caliente Nevada; this is a 106 miles of nothing. Further along the route there are some off road trails / roads.  You'd want a 4wd with at least 150 miles of range.

The obvious solution to this is to just fab up and tow a range-extending 240v generator with you that is powered by a Jaguar V-12...

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
7/12/23 11:00 a.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

I dont know the answers to your questions, but as someone who has done fairly heavy offroading I love the idea of how much torque you could have to wheels at low speed from an electric. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/12/23 11:04 a.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

Off Road RC cars are electric and they seem to do well. I also think the platform could be well suited to serious off roading.......range issues notwithstanding.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/12/23 11:05 a.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

I think Keith Tanner had a ride along in one of the Rivian's at some point.  I wonder if he'll stumble in here and share his thoughts on it.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
7/12/23 11:11 a.m.
Tom1200 said:

Also how do EVs hold up on 40 miles of washboard gravel roads; will the battery pack rattle itself to death.........I don't know but wonder if they've tested for this?

(OK this should get it some more pages)

The Rivians have individual wheel motors and get terrific reviews for offroad prowess.

The Hummer is probably bigger and heavier than you'd like for a lot of offroad stuff, but it would also be fine for a lot of desert stuff.

I haven't kept up with it, but at one point Jeep was installing (or planning to install) chargers at some trailheads for their 4Xe Wrangler, and Grand Cherokee PHEVs.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/12/23 11:18 a.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

The Rivian seems to do very well off road. The highest trim has a motor per wheel so it takes advantage of torque vectoring and therefore doesn't need lockers. Motor Trend tested one and got 160 to 190 miles of true off-road battery range. 

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-rivian-r1t-ev-off-road-truck-test-capability/ 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/12/23 11:34 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

That's all well and fine but will it get us to page 92?

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/23 11:45 a.m.
Indy - Guy said:

In reply to Tom1200 :

I think Keith Tanner had a ride along in one of the Rivian's at some point.  I wonder if he'll stumble in here and share his thoughts on it.

Pretty sure Keith is avoiding this particular disaster like the plague.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/12/23 11:52 a.m.
racerfink said:

Well, here's some websites about BYD (and others) battery fires in China.

https://batteriesnews.com/7-battery-electric-cars-day-catch-fire-china-most-involved-brands/

That link is just for the 1st qtr of 2022

This has a little more info

https://www.wapcar.my/news/in-china-640-evs-caught-fire-in-the-first-quarter-of-2022-up-32-percent-45371

The problem with getting info out of China is, the media there is definitely state run, so a flagship company of the government, like BYD, which looks for backing from many Western sources, squashes stories to make sure that money keeps rolling in.  Which is covered, I believe, in the 2nd video.

I wonder just how many gas or diesel power vehicles have fires per day in America?  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/12/23 11:57 a.m.
Toyman! said:
Indy - Guy said:

In reply to Tom1200 :

He's obviously smarter than the rest of us. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/12/23 12:04 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

I found this interesting about Ford's EV inventory:

I have read about that a lot.    I know at first the reason was the price was too high to qualify for the IRS TAX CREDIT. 
  But recently Ford has dropped the price  enough to qualify.  
  I also have heard some very bad things  about  the charging  network Fords are forced to use.  The Editors  articles highlight  the issues.  Granted next year they can use the Tesla's charging network and that will make improve things.  
  Meanwhile the media has done an excellent job of spreading the fear of a coming recession.   Plenty of people are being told to expect to lose everything.   
   Apparently  they fail to realize with 400,000 less people in the work force every year ( from baby boomers retiring)  jobs will tend to be secure. 
    Meanwhile Teslas sales are setting records. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/12/23 12:07 p.m.
bobzilla said:
Toyman! said:
Indy - Guy said:

In reply to Tom1200 :

He's obviously smarter than the rest of us. 

This has nothing to do with intellect................I'm goal oriented (page 100).....like Slim Pickins in Dr Strange Love.

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/12/23 12:10 p.m.
90BuickCentury said:
Tom1200 said:

The obvious solution to this is to just fab up and tow a range-extending 240v generator with you that is powered by a Jaguar V-12...

Thinking on this further made me wonder if auto manufacturers should look into the practicality of using liquid fueled motors, perhaps using diesel fuel, for long range travel and heavy loads. I'm not sure if studies have been done, but it may be a lot more practical and efficient than battery powered electric vehicles.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
7/12/23 12:16 p.m.

One of the features of the 4xe Wrangler is you can "save" the 25 miles of electric for later. It is pretty interseting to get deep into the trail, then crawl in silence.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/12/23 12:26 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/12/23 12:33 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

so he-said she-said and nothing to back up your claims. How.... "convenient". 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/12/23 1:01 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to frenchyd :

so he-said she-said and nothing to back up your claims. How.... "convenient". 

I asked for the name of his "trusted source" for how long it takes to complete oil and gas wells too....  got the same response.  I'd say I'm surprised, but I am not surprised.  I provided easily verifiable data that could be checked at the TX railroad commission though...  but according to "trusted sources" I was still wrong.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/12/23 1:39 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:
SV reX said:
frenchyd said:

I think the less said the better.  

The irony dripping from that comment is one of the funniest things I've ever read!

Frenchy seems to think my used minivan can be replaced with a Model X - which new costs ~$100K, so the real world is a place he only ponders from time to time... from a far distance.  I don't know who can afford $100K vehicles they will fill with muddy crap, but I know for sure it ain't me.  Hell... my house is barely worth more than $100K... 

Never mind the fact a Model X will absolutely NOT fulfill the utility requirements my minivan can.

Right now, the closest van that meets my needs is an E-Transit, but unfortunately while the 126 mile range is adequate for the intended use (local deliveries and commercial use) it will not meet weekend trip needs.  And it starts at about $52K for a pretty basic vehicle.

After watching Doug's latest video on the Kia EV GT, I am somewhat hoping Kia/Hyundai has an EV minivan in the development pipeline. 

I hope I didn't say model X. I thought I said model Y,  if I did I was wrong.   
   While Tesla does have a van in the pipeline  I have no idea of when or how much it will cost.  
   There are several Chinese Vans I suspect would meet your needs at the price you'd like to pay.  But of course they aren't allowed into America.  
      Pretty sure Kia/ Hyundai's EV's are made in China.  As are Japanese brands.  

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/12/23 1:51 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Pretty sure Kia/ Hyundai's EV's are made in China.  As are Japanese brands.  

You should learn how to use the Google. 

1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 ... 104

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
muSNoqSXjjvBYpvOoJ3ObjLTB3dPr0jHT9BJLZY6hVhBVd9IvjZzNAvTzPfzbZEZ