frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/14/23 7:34 p.m.
Tom1200 said:
Indy - Guy said:
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

If I were Tesla, I'd put a surcharge on non Tesla charging. It would make them more money while also incentivizing EV buyers to buy Teslas for cheaper network charging rates. Or they might just charge the other automakers for access to their network, which would add to the cost of competitor's vehicles. 

If I were Elon, I'd hire Frenchy to explain to everyone in his generation why they need a Tesla.  

That's a GREAT idea 

And here I thought this topic had been played out................

Will older generations warm up to EVs??? 

That's an interesting question. I assume I'm an outlier.  But quiet with safety nanny's and no longer making trips to the gas station?   
   Some will.   More will later as they prove themselves.   The low cost of electricity compared to Gasoline.  Will convince more.   
  But right now in my neighborhood it's mostly well educated millennials that are driving them   The recent price cut of Tesla's  seems to have brought even a few more out my way. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
7/14/23 7:35 p.m.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/14/23 7:38 p.m.
frenchyd said:
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

If I were Tesla, I'd put a surcharge on non Tesla charging. It would make them more money while also incentivizing EV buyers to buy Teslas for cheaper network charging rates. Or they might just charge the other automakers for access to their network, which would add to the cost of competitor's vehicles. 

If I were Elon, I'd hire Frenchy to explain to everyone in his generation why they need a Tesla.  

It will take a lot more than that to convince me to take on car payments when all of my vehicles are paid off and interest rates are going up.

Do people on Social Security really need to take on a $40,000 debt? He would have to debate Dave Ramsey on that one.

Snow Doggie, why do you think I patiently waiting for a Model 2 Tesla?  
      I'm absolutly sure I will go through about $25,000 worth of gas  in the time I've got left. But I'm not sure the price of gas will stay the same for the rest of my life.  

Maybe you will keep driving a lot but many older people don't. Retired people don't commute. Some people only work part time or find work closer to home. Some people are unable to drive after a certain age. Some people will move into senior housing and give up their car completely.

Why should they blow money on car payments. You know that if you buy a $25,000 Tesla (which they don't sell yet) that you will pay more than $25,000 by the time you add interest and inflated full coverage insurance for the "crunch the fender and it's totalled" Tesla.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
7/14/23 7:41 p.m.

7/14/23 7:45 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

I just about fell out of my chair laughing at that one.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 8:10 p.m.

By golly, we just might hit the hundred yet tonight.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 8:11 p.m.

I just about fell out of my chair laughing at that one.

Me too. LoL 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 8:17 p.m.
frenchyd said:

If I were Elon, I'd hire Frenchy to explain to everyone in his generation why they need a Tesla.......  

But right now in my neighborhood it's mostly well educated millennials that are driving them   The recent price cut of Tesla's  seems to have brought even a few more out my way. 

It would be very interesting to see a demographics break down of current EV ownership.  Are millennials the largest group?

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/14/23 8:30 p.m.
frenchyd said:
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

It will take a lot more than that to convince me to take on car payments when all of my vehicles are paid off and interest rates are going up.

Do people on Social Security really need to take on a $40,000 debt? He would have to debate Dave Ramsey on that one.

I'm absolutly sure I will go through about $25,000 worth of gas  in the time I've got left. But I'm not sure the price of gas will stay the same for the rest of my life.  

Maybe you will keep driving a lot but many older people don't. Retired people don't commute. Some people only work part time or find work closer to home. Some people are unable to drive after a certain age. Some people will move into senior housing and give up their car completely.

Why should they blow money on car payments. You know that if you buy a $25,000 Tesla (which they don't sell yet) that you will pay more than $25,000 by the time you add interest and inflated full coverage insurance for the "crunch the fender and it's totalled" Tesla.

As you age it gets harder and harder to work on cars.  Stuff I used to be able to do in 1/2 hour  now sometimes take me more than 2 days.   
   Getting up and down is extremely hard.   I can only work for a very short time before I need to rest for a long time.  
    Between work I'm still doing on my house, work I do on the race car, and my collector cars. I have no time or any interest in working on daily drivers.    
  So when it needs work  it goes off to the dealer.   Last time it was $1300.   It's rare when it's much less then a grand.   
     It's starting to need that a few times a year now.  So much for the reliable cheap to own Honda. 

So now the choice is a $25,000 ICE  or a $25,000 EV.  
Do you really blame me for wanting a n EV instead of another ICE?  

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
7/14/23 8:31 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Oooh, another math problem! 

Assuming the average price per gallon of $3.45 in MN and an average of 25mpg, $25,000 will get you 181,000 miles. Of course future gas prices and your actual mpg will change that number. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 8:34 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Seriously, if you've got $25k allocated for a vehicle purchase, why not start out with a used EV to test the waters?  I know you can get into one for that money.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/14/23 8:35 p.m.

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

How much will repairs cost me the rest of my life?  
 Read my post to snowdoggie. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/14/23 8:43 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Seriously, if you've got $25k allocated for a vehicle purchase, why not start out with a used EV to test the waters?  I know you can get into one for that money.

You may have had good success with  used cars.   I haven't.  If you want me to bore  you let me tell you about my last one. 
   So let me please buy what I want? 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 8:47 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Yes, of course you do you. 

But on one hand you say you want an EV due to less maintenance required.  On the other hand you're afraid to buy a slightly used one for fear of high maintenance costs.

I'm just saying......

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 8:52 p.m.

Me?  I buy used 100% of the time.

I currently own Three (3) Prius's (Priuii).  All three are drivable, plated and insured.  My Total cost for all three combined is only $4,200.  They each get about 43 mpg.  That's what actual Frugality, in action, looks like.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 8:55 p.m.

My cost per mile is ridiculously low.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
7/14/23 8:55 p.m.
frenchyd said:
Indy - Guy said:

In reply to frenchyd :

You may have had good success with  used cars.   I haven't.  If you want me to bore  you let me tell you about my last one. 

You can't, it doesn't exist yet. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 9:01 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

The one on the left was $2,200 (teenage daughter drives that one) Middle one I paid $1,400 for (that's my daily driver) the one on the right was $600 (wife drives that one around when she only has a few kids with her)

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/14/23 9:15 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

In reply to frenchyd :

But on one hand you say you want an EV due to less maintenance required.  On the other hand you're afraid to buy a slightly used one for fear of high maintenance costs.

I'm just saying......

No I'm not afraid of high maintenance  on an EV.  

7/14/23 9:20 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

How much will repairs cost me the rest of my life?  
 Read my post to snowdoggie. 

Says the guy who owns multiple Jaguars. devil

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 9:28 p.m.
frenchyd said:
Indy - Guy said:

In reply to frenchyd :

I'm just saying......

No I'm not afraid of high maintenance  on an EV.  

Then what are you afraid of in a slightly used EV?

7/14/23 9:34 p.m.
frenchyd said:
frenchyd said:
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

As you age it gets harder and harder to work on cars.  Stuff I used to be able to do in 1/2 hour  now sometimes take me more than 2 days.   
   Getting up and down is extremely hard.   I can only work for a very short time before I need to rest for a long time.  
    Between work I'm still doing on my house, work I do on the race car, and my collector cars. I have no time or any interest in working on daily drivers.    
  So when it needs work  it goes off to the dealer.   Last time it was $1300.   It's rare when it's much less then a grand.   
     It's starting to need that a few times a year now.  So much for the reliable cheap to own Honda. 

So now the choice is a $25,000 ICE  or a $25,000 EV.  
Do you really blame me for wanting a n EV instead of another ICE?  

We have a CRV that is about three years old that was purchased new. It hasn't cost us anything but oil changes and the usual required maintenance. I did have to pay a detailer about $200 to get the dog hair out once, but you really can't blame Honda for that one. If you really have trouble climbing under cars you might want to take a Tai Chi class. Not only can I still get up and down and climb under cars, but I can waive a wooden sword around and it scares the neighborhood thugs almost as much as my wolfhuskies do. That and a good chiropractor will keep you young.  yes

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 9:53 p.m.
ShawnG said:

I remember reading an article long ago that said something along the lines of: Every vehicle comes with roughly a 25 year debt to the environment.

Meaning you need to keep it in service that long to justify it's production.

Perhaps a good way to go would be to stop trying to convince everyone that you need a new vehicle every 5 years. It's not the solution but it would sure help the waste generated. Won't help manufacturers or the government any to push that line of thinking though.

Buying used and keeping them running is what I'm doing as my part for the environment.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/14/23 10:01 p.m.
frenchyd said:
Indy - Guy said:

In reply to frenchyd :

The irony in that last sentence...

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/14/23 10:03 p.m.

1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 ... 104

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
ihccAT47gkRYUEtJGjWFIy1yjteEQZBEHMJl7y05xnlRKZyA8a2sgmMYr5vWSg2N