1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
bigev007
bigev007 New Reader
8/22/14 9:40 a.m.

Glad you're ok, hope you aren't too banged up.

From what I've read on a certain other forum, you should go buy an M-roadster as a replacement. Just be sure to get a PPI and the glovebox fixed before taking delivery.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
8/22/14 10:46 a.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote:
DaewooOfDeath wrote: Glad you're okay. You aren't getting stuck with the medical bills, are you? (Asks the guy who recently had the $8,000 appendectomy.)
I would MUCH rather have an $8K appendectomy than a $50.00 appendectomy.

True. Although if I hadn't been back in the states vacationing, it would have been a lot closer to the later price.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/22/14 12:23 p.m.

I've been a Lotus guy for >30 years. Guess I'm stuck with them.

Just got back from looking at the car and talking with the adjuster. Rear clam is toast, of course, but the frame looks OK. AR law is total at 70% on cars <7 years old, that one is 8 years old and they can rebuild up to 99%. He's going to look at parts costs, etc., and get back to me.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
8/22/14 12:26 p.m.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/22/14 12:35 p.m.

That old clam would make great wall art in the garage.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
8/22/14 12:53 p.m.

I like the idea of clam art on the garage wall.

That made me giggle just typing it.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
8/22/14 12:59 p.m.

Perhaps he could hang some Georgia O'Keeffe next to the Elise rear?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
8/22/14 1:01 p.m.

That made me laugh. Guy in the next stall probably thinks im disturbed....

Looking forward to seeing what happens dr hess.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/22/14 1:04 p.m.

wait til the suit settlement and go McLaren

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
8/22/14 1:31 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I've been a Lotus guy for >30 years. Guess I'm stuck with them. Just got back from looking at the car and talking with the adjuster. Rear clam is toast, of course, but the frame looks OK. AR law is total at 70% on cars <7 years old, that one is 8 years old and they can rebuild up to 99%. He's going to look at parts costs, etc., and get back to me.

Hey, sorry I haven't gotten to my personal e-mail yet, I will later today. Question is do you want the car to be totaled, or would you rather repair it? The insurance company ultimately gets to make the final decision on if it's going to be a total loss, but you may be able to have some input.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/22/14 2:02 p.m.

There's 2 companies involved in this, mine and his. Mine said his was a good one to work with, so there's that. Spoke to his and she said they would send their adjuster as well. Anyway, my adjuster said it would likely be my choice. I think I'd just as soon have the car back. I don't really want anything else. Not bad enough to go through the looking phase again, certainly. It took me 6 months to find that one.

His adjuster offered me a rental car. I think it was mighty decent of them, but it would be a Hundai something or other or a tahoe. Woopie. Think I'd rather drive the 86 RN truck than a hundai or a chevy.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/22/14 2:08 p.m.

Well here is to a speedy recovery to you and the car.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
8/22/14 2:13 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Think I'd rather drive the 86 RN truck than a hundai or a chevy.

I donno, I'd like to try a Veloster

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
8/22/14 4:13 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: His adjuster offered me a rental car. I think it was mighty decent of them, but it would be a Hundai something or other or a tahoe. Woopie. Think I'd rather drive the 86 RN truck than a hundai or a chevy.

Quoting the great P.J. O'Rourke:

"Even more important than being drunk, however, is having the right car. You have to get a car that handles really well. This is extremely important, and there's a lot of debate on this subject – about what kind of car handles best. Some say a front-engined car; some say a rear-engined car. I say a rented car. Nothing handles better than a rented car. You can go faster, turn corners sharper, and put the transmission into reverse while going forward at a higher rate of speed in a rented car than in any other kind. You can also park without looking, and can use the trunk as an ice chest. Another thing about a rented car is that it's an all-terrain vehicle. Mud, snow, water, woods – you can take a rented car anywhere. True, you can't always get it back – but that's not your problem, is it?"

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/25/14 11:43 p.m.

How messed up is the old clam?

Race plastics!

Fix it up cheap, and swap in onto the car for race day! Keep the nice new clam for DD activities

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
8/26/14 7:03 a.m.

that sucks to hear man but on the bright side if it is totalled i would buy it back and would be thinking locost...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/14 7:13 a.m.

It would certainly be easier to get in and out of.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/26/14 8:03 a.m.

The rear clam is Humpty Dumpty. I think there would be more patches than clam. Oh, and here's a fun fact: rear clams are NLA.

Woody
8/26/14 8:07 a.m.

Are nice rear clams really that hard to come across?

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
8/26/14 9:09 a.m.

I have to think that a rebody type job on one of those would be relatively painless and be an awesome toy. Let us know what the buyback is if it gets totaled.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/26/14 9:23 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Think I'd rather drive the 86 RN truck than a hundai or a chevy.

you're just scared that you would realize the meaning of the word "reliability" after 30 years of lotus ownership and having to work on a harley

Woody
8/26/14 10:06 a.m.

It's really too bad that you couldn't easily find a Europa body to drape over that chassis...

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Reader
8/26/14 10:47 a.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote:
DaewooOfDeath wrote: Glad you're okay. You aren't getting stuck with the medical bills, are you? (Asks the guy who recently had the $8,000 appendectomy.)
I would MUCH rather have an $8K appendectomy than a $50.00 appendectomy.

Slightly off topic but this seemed like the spot for it.

A few years ago I had the priviledge of meeting a gentleman who had received a free appendectomy. He had just walked into Bataan half dead so the guards left him chained to a tree for a couple of days....When a doctor saw him and realized the problem (hot appendix) the guards had no medical equipment for prisoners so the doc used a berkleying BAYONET!!!! After that it was an easy recovery and 3 more years in the tender care of Bataans finest guards before he got to come home.

So really medical tourism works for some people.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/26/14 11:50 a.m.

Ah, yes. The Japanese model for healthcare and gun control. Coming to a city near you.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/14 11:56 a.m.
Woody wrote: It's really too bad that you couldn't easily find a Europa body to drape over that chassis...

Cue the next free/cheap Europa thread.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UcEdZKjE2XmGs2OCBOoraaKqPzoZLjwPowIiZHN4AFhr7ZhoJ1GDhfcWXWOt0MaO