jhaas
jhaas Reader
2/23/11 8:07 p.m.

OK maybe i wana do some racing too. but i'd like to know more about kart racing. never done it.

i have a 6yo boy and a 4.5yo girl. id like to know where to start. what organizations are there? what classes of karts are there? of course i'll buy a couple karts after a while, but i assume i can rent for a while?

im sure quite a few of you have kids racing. teach me.

jhaas
jhaas Reader
2/23/11 8:22 p.m.

well, while looking at some used karts on CL i found this link...

http://www.smokymountainspeedway.com/kids-into-racing

perfect

madeatdark
madeatdark New Reader
2/23/11 8:26 p.m.

Autoblog did a whole series about karting, it was geared towards adults but it may have some good info for you and the kids.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/05/introduction-to-karting-part-1/

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
2/23/11 9:32 p.m.

The forums on http://ekartingnews.com/ have always been helpful to me.

I'd start there and find the local race locations and start making friends.

killerkane
killerkane New Reader
2/23/11 10:38 p.m.

Go to a couple of races and meet people, rent some karts for you kids and see if they like it. Buy used at first (obviously).

Karting is so much fun!

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
2/24/11 6:08 a.m.

The WKA and IKF are the two big sanctioning bodies. If you're going to start them real early, look into kid karts. They're real sprint karts, but shorter for smaller kids. The WKA has classes for them.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
2/24/11 7:40 a.m.

If you want to be competitive, they are expensive, really expensive.

Which is why our local kart track has started a "spec series" where you just pay the entry fee and drive one of his karts.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
2/24/11 7:40 a.m.

We have a local track, and they are so good to the kids. It's awesome to watch them out there.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
2/24/11 7:50 a.m.

I want to do the same for my daughter in a couple years. Think Im gonna start off in Quarter Midgets, then into actual karts...

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
2/24/11 8:10 a.m.

Something else to keep in mind is that at "I think" the age of 8, they can participate in the Formula JR. class at SCCA autocrosses. However, not all regions offer the class, so check into it first. I raced quite seriously in the 80's and 90's, but the cost got too high. So my kids autocross the kart and I autocross the car.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
2/24/11 9:03 a.m.

Beware. Karting IS racing, and not winning gets old quickly for most people.

Winning gets expensive in a hurry.

iceracer
iceracer Dork
2/24/11 9:22 a.m.

Most important. Do the kids want to get into karting or is it dads dream ?

killerkane
killerkane New Reader
2/24/11 1:47 p.m.

Clone karts are a good place to start, 6.5 hp engines and nearly any frame will work. Very very cheap to run.

LordTurbonia
LordTurbonia New Reader
2/24/11 1:59 p.m.

Hell, I'd like to get into karting, but being a tall, strapping 280 pounds means that I'd outweigh the damn thing.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
2/24/11 7:22 p.m.

My son has been doing it for about three and half years now. He started in a kid kart when he was 6.

Matter of fact, we're in Palm Beach for the Florida Winter Tour this weekend. Yes, we're serious about it.

Couple of points: 1) Make sure they want to do it, not dad. I've seen my share of dads screaming at 5 year olds....

2) If you can, find a track that offers rentals. We did for six weeks and when he was begging me to go to the track three times a week, I knew he was serious and bought him a used kart

3) Buy used to start off. Kid karts are the way to start. When they get older and outgrow them, you'll get what you are running locally.

Karting CAN be expensive. Kid Karts are probably the worst about spending money, because dad thinks "just spend more on motors rather than teach Jr. to drive."

If they like it, they'll want to do it a lot. If they like it a lot, they'll get lots of seat time. Seat time makes you faster, not super magic motors.

It can be a great deal of fun and a great bonding experience. But only if the kid wants to do it......

Feel free to email me with questions.

-Rob

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ODRpD1sd1E3PwDhFRHllJ8KaHrhp6wVyKiJeGv0i0mrDEU40thzjM25vNmIZIhFS