MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/30/17 6:55 p.m.

I want a flat fender jeep to round out my fleet. I am leaning towards an imported early 90's Mitsubishi J53 or J54 for the 2.7L turbo diesel and uniqueness of a RHD JDM version of a 1930's-40's US designed vehicle built until 1998 in Japan. I dont care if it goes highway speeds. I just want a basic 4x4 with massive cool factor. What do i need to know about flat fenders in general?

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/30/17 7:55 p.m.

They are the simplist vehicle that could be considered a modern vehicle. Modern as in not having the controls of a Model T. Concerns would be rust. Mechanicals should be easily maintained or swapped to newer versions.

Why import a JDM version of something that is still relatively cheap but still unique enough to get waves and thumbs up?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
8/30/17 8:16 p.m.

You've already stated what I was going to say. They aren't fast.

MrChaos
8/30/17 8:23 p.m.

In reply to RossD:

the jdm one gets 30mpg

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/30/17 8:25 p.m.

I like the first picture far more than my bank account thinks i should.

MrChaos
8/30/17 8:33 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: I like the first picture far more than my bank account thinks i should.

I know right. The only issue i have with that jeep is that the winch, though period correct, is $1900 for the new version.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/17 8:51 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I look at the bottom one and wonder why people buy side-by-side ATVs?

MrChaos
8/30/17 8:54 p.m.
Pete Gossett wrote: In reply to Dusterbd13: I look at the bottom one and wonder why people buy side-by-side ATVs?

I know right. you can get a flat fender jeep, samurai, jimny, sidekick/tracker and then put $10k in them and still be cheaper than a stock rzr and be street legal.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
8/30/17 8:55 p.m.

I have little to add but encouragement. I've had the same feelings lately and have put a flat fender Jeep high on my next car list. I've looked at several in the past few months and most have had a lot of creative "repairs" and "upgrades." I'm looking for a pretty original one and am not planning on modding it at all. If I can't find one, plan B is to disregard the body condition as new bodies are very reasonable (quality seems questionable, though).

MrChaos
8/30/17 9:01 p.m.

In reply to Carl Heideman:

Aqualu has aluminum bodys for any flat fender for around $7500 for a complete aluminum body thats tub, fenders, hood windsheild frame, grill, tailgate. http://www.hardbody4x4.com/5005-3b-1953-1964-body.html

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
8/30/17 9:18 p.m.

I've been thinking more about the cheap tubs imported by OMIX-ADA--they're about $2000-3500 depending on whether you want just a tub or more. Plus shipping of course...

MrChaos
8/30/17 9:21 p.m.

In reply to Carl Heideman: all you really need is a decent vin tag and frame and you are good.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
8/31/17 12:01 p.m.
Pete Gossett wrote: In reply to Dusterbd13: I look at the bottom one and wonder why people buy side-by-side ATVs?

Because they can buy them with a warranty, and no mechanical ability required.

I know nothing about the japanese things you mentioned, but the the old flat fenders are good for putting around the farm, but not a lot else. When you start looking at them underneath you start wondering what they were thinking. The steering is weird, the box is in a weird spot with miles of linkage and tons of joints before you get to the wheels. These all wear out and you get tons of slop. Axles are small and splined at the hubs and failure prone. Brakes are horrible. Theyre still cool though. But they go from flattys to cj's to yj's to tj's, and each was light years ahead of the previous generation.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/31/17 12:05 p.m.

I agree, but this is the droid you are looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgGm0mA1FLY

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/17 12:29 p.m.

So this showed up on craigslist.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W6vAHrwLNueRHa8YtjwmP5rSPePbQrkfl6rtdGClRUSIfd1oCGbQBaQaloLriE1c