1 2
gearheadmb
gearheadmb Reader
7/5/15 7:44 p.m.

It was my first time at a top fuel event. It was mind blowing. I dont care how you feel about drag racing, if you like cars go see this in person at least once. We sat around 300 ft down track about half ways up the grandstands. When the cars went by it felt like an earthquake. It was more intense than I ever expected. We also watched Ron Capps team rebuild the engine between runs. That was so cool. They went from complete engine to bare block in like 8 minutes. The drivers hang out and talk and sign autographs and take pictures with people. Some kid came up to Capps and asked for an autograph, he went in the trailer and came out with a used connecting rod and signed it for the kid. This was a really good experience and i would recommend it to anyone.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
7/5/15 8:18 p.m.

Agreed. Went to Englishtown a couple years back. You FEEL the energy before you hear it. One tip - when you see the crew begin to put on the gas masks in the pits, back up!

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/5/15 8:32 p.m.

Watching a Top Fuel / Funny Car engine change between rounds is fascinating.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/5/15 8:52 p.m.

I've only been to Jet night at the local 1/8th. Yeah, things get loud.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
7/5/15 9:12 p.m.

Norwalk?
I had hoped to get there this weekend but as has been the case for the 5 years I've lived here, the holiday weekend was just too filled with conflicting plans.
I am just about 15 minutes away from the dragstrip.

I have seen a Team John Force Chevy Surban around town a couple times this week.

The local paper did some stories about the big name teams sticking around for a couple of days to take in the attractions.

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/sports/motor-sports/8850721

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/sports/motor-sports/8850726

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
7/5/15 10:20 p.m.

I went to my first race in February at Phoenix, I know exactly what you're talking about. Just as a spectator they max out all of your senses and then some.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
7/5/15 10:30 p.m.

Laws of physics, please say hello to nitromethane.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Reader
7/5/15 11:36 p.m.

One little fun fact that was thrown out by Tony Schumahers team owner "One cylinder in this engine makes more horsepower than a nascar race engine."

ChrisR
ChrisR New Reader
7/6/15 12:19 a.m.

The wife and I are taking some friends (newbies) to the Sears Point race at the end of July. I can't wait to get them (husband and wife) next to a fuel car warming up in the pits...they have no idea. They might not be friends with us after that! lol

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
7/6/15 1:24 a.m.

A while back someone here posted a ton of info about Dodge/Chrysler top fuel or funny car engines. The one tidbit that stood out most to me was it takes 600 hp just to turn the supercharger at peak boost.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
7/6/15 7:19 a.m.
gearheadmb wrote: One little fun fact that was thrown out by Tony Schumahers team owner "One cylinder in this engine makes more horsepower than a nascar race engine."

yeah … the estimate is that the Top Fuel/Funny Cars make in excess of 10,000 hp … I've forgotten, but the hp needed just to turn the supercharger is more than my car makes

edit: should have read the next post … Jed beat me to it

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Reader
7/6/15 8:52 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621: Yeah, norwalk.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Reader
7/6/15 8:55 a.m.

In reply to ChrisR: Being in the pits with the car running suprised me. When they fired it up it wasnt as loud as i expected. Then the fumes hit me. Ive never been tear gassed, but im guessing it has to be pretty similar.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/6/15 9:32 a.m.

The truth is they don't know how much horsepower they make. There is no automotive dyno strong enough to hold one. They can only guess from periferial data. That's awesome.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/6/15 9:53 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: The truth is they don't know how much horsepower they make. There is no automotive dyno strong enough to hold one. They can only guess from periferial data. That's awesome.

The good news is that the 1/4 mile is a pretty good dyno.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
7/6/15 11:58 a.m.

I miss going to the digs, need to hit the Phoenix race more often.

When I was a kid working at a hotel in Ontario (not far from Pomona, WN's and WF's), the big boys used to stay there, and I got to meet several of the racers. Lots of memories. Shirley Muldowney was a witch, but it was post crash, and I've heard it said that she dealt with a lot of pain. KC Spurlock was an alcohol racer, who went top fuel a few years later, neat cat. He gave me a Bryant Electrical extension cord that I still have, and use, to this day. At the time, Dan Pastorini had gone from Houston Oilers QB to professional drag racer, and he was cool. Gregarious, always laughing and smiling, gave everybody $20 tips (front desk people don't usually ever get tips...). About half the time we'd get tickets to the finals from somebody.

But the best was Don Garlits. I will never, ever forget talking to him down at the end of the desk one night, for like 20 minutes. I asked him for an autograph, but he said he didn't do autographs, but he'd be happy to hang out and talk a little bit. Literally the nicest man I have ever met in my life. I can't remember what we talked about, but I had to go back to work before he left the desk. May God bless that man. Well, some more.

But, as above, the experience of being in the pits, getting gassed by nitro as they fire up the motor after rebuild, guys talking to you, all of that is so cool.

Oh, and the race cars reaching mind bending speeds in 4 seconds or less is cool to. Good to see the sport hasn't really changed in the last 28 years or so.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
7/6/15 12:31 p.m.

you guys are making me go check the schedules on the local track now. Been too long since I've been down there...

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
7/6/15 1:03 p.m.

You must see top fuel at least once. The pressure wave pulse off your chest is mind blowing.

The other part is how fan friendly they are; My son went when he was about 8, he and I were walking to the bracket racer pits to say hello to someone we know and Tony Schumacher stopped his scooter and asked if we were having a good time. John Forces crew chief stopped and gave him a pin. Steinbrenner had one of the guys stop what they were doing a autograph my son's shirt. Various racers had him sit in cars etc. We once went to a test day that was plagued by light rain; Don Garlets had a nostalgia car their, his crew chief had us come stand in the trailer to get out of the rain.

Just really great people, Tom

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
7/6/15 1:13 p.m.

I used to go to Englishtown made it 12 years in a row then stopped for a long time and started going again but up @ Epping NH for the New England nats with my wife an brother and sister inlaw its a great time. We stay at the beach 20 min away rather then drive the 90 miles.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
7/6/15 8:30 p.m.
rcutclif wrote:

They're too fast for 1/4 mile, now.

ChrisR
ChrisR New Reader
7/6/15 10:13 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb: I made my wife a weee bit mad at me one time. One of the Pedregon bros. was about to fire up their cars. I said to my wife, 'you've got to check this out'! They fired up the car and of course the area filled up with fumes. I'm trying my hardest to stay put. I had lifted up part of my shirt over my nose and mouth (like it does any good anyway!), and my eyes are watering... So they shut off the car and I turn to my wife, only she is no where to be found. I find her a couple of pit stalls down from where we were. With her arms crossed she is giving me the evil eye, stink eye, death stare all in one. She says 'why didn't you tell me THAT was going to happen you as##ole'! All I could do was laugh. She keeps her distance now. To anyone who is not impressed with drag racing in general, there is no motorsport on the planet (IMHO) that can compare to being there live. You just can't imagine the noise and vibrations that two cars can make. Nitromethane boogers indeed!

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Reader
7/7/15 7:15 a.m.

Yeah im not gonna invite my wife. She gets headaches pretty easy. Between the fumes, the noise, and the sun beating on you on an asphault lot in july she wouldnt get the same joy out of it that i did.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
7/7/15 7:55 a.m.

In reply to gearheadmb:

My wife actually likes it! She's not that much of a race fan, but she can't get over the feel/smell/sight of those top fuel cars.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
7/7/15 6:00 p.m.
chuckles wrote:
rcutclif wrote:

They're too fast for 1/4 mile, now.

Not really a good dyno for these engines either as they slip the clutch so much and pull back timing etc. It is a good what power level the track will take type of dyno.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
7/7/15 7:30 p.m.

Aren't they running 1000 feet now? I should keep up better.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N5Bjrzd0R7W4oOqlFHc0dL8I78yVPQN0PQiUdSZpYtwubcCbNjeHeIwzJDubPfes