itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/29/12 1:44 p.m.

Ever ever under any circumstances have a mechanical fan on another vehicle I own under any circumstances. I don't care if its a 100 Point yenko Camaro, that berkelying pos is getting swapped for an electric one before it ever leaves my driveway!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
10/29/12 1:49 p.m.

Okay.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/29/12 1:49 p.m.

Ate the radiator huh?

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
10/29/12 2:02 p.m.

Bad day at the office?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
10/29/12 2:03 p.m.

Thanks for reminding me i need to convert the XJ over to electric fan.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/29/12 2:10 p.m.

Somebody lost a motor mount, fan, & radiator all on the same day, eh?

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
10/29/12 2:13 p.m.

I once (1983) agreed to work on the car of a guy I worked with. I was driving it home from work to dial in the carb and tune it when the fan came loose and went through the radiator. I called him and he said I must have caused it and that I owe him a radiator. I refused, and in his anger he threw several tire weights at my relatively new Snap On tool boxes, causing dents I still have to look at today. Yep, mechanical fans are evil.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
10/29/12 2:24 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: I once (1983) agreed to work on the car of a guy I worked with. I was driving it home from work to dial in the carb and tune it when the fan came loose and went through the radiator. I called him and he said I must have caused it and that I owe him a radiator. I refused, and in his anger he threw several tire weights at my relatively new Snap On tool boxes, causing dents I still have to look at today. Yep, mechanical fans are evil.

My 67 Mustang let one go on the dyno, it was not a good day.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/29/12 2:46 p.m.

Hmm, I've never had one fail other than the clutch not engaging. I can't say the same about electrics.

I still prefer the electric ones though.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
10/29/12 2:55 p.m.

i had a 87 bronco with a clutch fan. the water pump siezed (impressive failure, too) and the fan let go at about 5k. i was in 4LOW rocking it out of a ditch i had intentionallly driven into. total parts list was as follows:

water pump, 3 belts, WP pulley, radiator, upper and lower hose, trans cooler (auto truck), oil cooler (aftermarket add on, killed it too), two trans lines, alternator wiring harness (aftermarket 3G alt), a battery cable, and of course, an electric fan. Almost worked through my battery as well...

it was close to $400 in parts alone. took a day to get it running and a week to get it charging again. im with you, no mech fans in my stable.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
10/29/12 3:04 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
bravenrace wrote: I once (1983) agreed to work on the car of a guy I worked with. I was driving it home from work to dial in the carb and tune it when the fan came loose and went through the radiator. I called him and he said I must have caused it and that I owe him a radiator. I refused, and in his anger he threw several tire weights at my relatively new Snap On tool boxes, causing dents I still have to look at today. Yep, mechanical fans are evil.
My 67 Mustang let one go on the dyno, it was not a good day.

I don't imagine it was. My other fan story involves my parent's '71 Country Squire. Performance pickin's were slim in the mid-70's. My buddy's dad have a Chevy wagon, so we decided to race. To get a jump on him, I did a neutral slam. Well that caused a motor mount to break, sending the fan into the hood and making a nice little spare tire pattern in it!
I played dumb. My dad took it to his mechanic who told him about the only way that could happen was from abuse. Somehow I convinced my dad that wasn't the case, and I still feel guilty about it 40 years later...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/29/12 4:58 p.m.

They suck power and eat belts.

I will never... own a truck.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KWOMDdvGazGwe81Y26xaQGZDkSmmEnMRBTEoH7OZRuEV4BehVH9ycguN7RcsmKCJ