1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/18/23 10:22 a.m.
feature_image

The GT3-spec Mustang has yet to compete at Le Mans, but Ford already has a street-legal version in mind. Meet the 2025 Mustang GTD.

“Mustang GTD shatters every preconceived notion of a supercar,” said Jim Farley, Ford president and CEO. “This is a new approach for us. We didn’t engineer a road car for the track, we created a race …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/18/23 10:25 a.m.

Am I interested in buying one? No.

Am I glad it's a thing Ford seriously wants to make?  Absolutely.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/23 10:27 a.m.

Clint Eastwood Gran Torino GIF - Clint Eastwood Gran Torino ...

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/18/23 10:28 a.m.

It's a pretty rad car. Kudos to Ford for just throwing this thing out there. I expected a DCT, I did not expect the rear-mounted transaxle or the rocker arm-actuated rear suspension or the 800hp part. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/18/23 10:28 a.m.

Cars and Coffee 2026 is going to be intense

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/18/23 10:37 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, it's cool. But it's pretty much Ford's version of a C7 ZR1..  It's been done before, well maybe not the shifter paddles made from used F22 parts.

EDIT:  Just did a quick check and low mile C7 ZR1's are selling for 250k+  Thats insane to me...

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
8/18/23 10:51 a.m.

Cool. But the name is confusing? GTD is the pro am IMSA class running GT3 spec cars.

And those racecars are pretty tame compared to this thing.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
8/18/23 11:02 a.m.

I may not be the target market, but I'm so glad stuff like this exists. 

SuperDave
SuperDave New Reader
8/18/23 11:09 a.m.

I see an increase in the number and intensity of YouTube videos featuring Mustangs leaving car shows.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/18/23 11:11 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

Cool. But the name is confusing? GTD is the pro am IMSA class running GT3 spec cars.

The name baffled me. It's supposed to be the street-going version of the GT3 race car, so why not call it, GT3S?

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
8/18/23 11:19 a.m.
NickD said:
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

The name baffled me. It's supposed to be the street-going version of the GT3 race car, so why not call it, GT3S?

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I saw the headlines last night and I assumed they were launching their racecar for the GTD Class. Seems like a weird choice to name a street car after a racing class only IMSA nerds know the name of when said street car doesn't even seem to share that much with the racing class. Then again, it's less weird than naming an SUV the MACH-E instead of saving that name for the first all-electic or hybrid version of the traditional Mustang. 

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/18/23 11:28 a.m.

Have y'all not heard of the GTO?

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
8/18/23 11:33 a.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

This is the same company that thought is was a good idea to call something the "Probe," after all.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/23 11:37 a.m.

$300,000  starting price  for a mustang? And it doesn't even transform into something cool?

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/18/23 11:57 a.m.
CrashDummy said:
NickD said:
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I saw the headlines last night and I assumed they were launching their racecar for the GTD Class. Seems like a weird choice to name a street car after a racing class only IMSA nerds know the name of when said street car doesn't even seem to share that much with the racing class. Then again, it's less weird than naming an SUV the MACH-E instead of saving that name for the first all-electic or hybrid version of the traditional Mustang. 

As someone who doesn't follow racing, I heard GTD and my first thought was "D for Diesel?"

I believe I've said this before, but when Ford announced the Mustang Mach-E, I was expecting an Ecoboost 4-cylinder with a torque-filling motor between the engine and transmission and torque-vectoring motors on the front axles, a la new NSX. I was deeply disappointed with what we got.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/18/23 12:29 p.m.

My conclusion for this- they found a way to make the V8 to work in the F150.  Without the truck, the v8 for the mustang doesn't exist.  

johndej
johndej SuperDork
8/18/23 12:38 p.m.
CrashDummy said:
NickD said:
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

No no no - now a certain magazine can get their hands on the GTD GT3 race car and run head to head with the GTD street car!

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
8/18/23 12:54 p.m.

I just thought it was a throwback to the classic LTD name plate. 

Since it's the Street version they could have called it the STD too. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/18/23 12:58 p.m.

This needs to get posted over in the box flare awesomeness thread

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/18/23 1:06 p.m.

I just hope there's an extra cost option to get it in the GT3 race car launch livery.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
8/18/23 1:07 p.m.

"Go like hell"  do they owe some royalties?

It's like the Cobra R but for the 2020s.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
8/18/23 1:45 p.m.

GTD without a VW Tdi?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/18/23 2:01 p.m.
NickD said:

It's a pretty rad car. Kudos to Ford for just throwing this thing out there. I expected a DCT, I did not expect the rear-mounted transaxle or the rocker arm-actuated rear suspension or the 800hp part. 

Yeah, this is pretty wild E36 M3 for a street-legal Mustang! Color me impressed.

mhaskins
mhaskins New Reader
8/18/23 2:03 p.m.

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

Not a ford Fan here but saying this is basically a c7 zr1 is an insult to multimatic. The zr1 was a street car platform turned to 11. This is based on a gt3 car, with even more power than the racecar and a no compromise racing chassis. Regular mustangs have strut front and multilink rear. This is Short Long Arm front with cantilever rear suspension. Not to mention the switch to a rear trans mount. I'm sure the spool valve dampers alone cost more than a new base mustang.

Not at all close to a c7 zr1 or even the 992 gt3 the article compares. The closest thing that comes to mind would be a gt2 rs clubsport from a few years ago. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BXeWv1zgXotvOxaeZPq2ZtR6zTKEZhZZLNbVJm1Ps5beGCkpeFqrTey98vHDdRwo