Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
12/12/23 12:42 p.m.
feature_image

After a four-year hiatus, Fiat is bringing its iconic 500 back to North America–this time, however, as an electric car only.

First, the specs: Noted to be built on a dedicated EV platform, the new 500e is rated at 118 horsepower and 162 lb.-ft. of torque, with a zero-to-60 mph time of 8.5 seconds.

Fiat gives its new EV 500 …

Read the rest of the story

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
12/12/23 1:38 p.m.

This is a cool car but at that price it will not compete, especially with no 7500$ tax credit (yes, I know it can be bypassed by leasing, but still). I'm waiting for it to drop down to 100/mo lease deals. This would be a great commuter.

350z247
350z247 Reader
12/12/23 2:03 p.m.

In reply to RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) :

Do you really think they would get down to $100/mo lease? That's less than half the lease for the electric Mini. I'd definitely consider it at that price.

12/12/23 2:26 p.m.
350z247 said:

Do you really think they would get down to $100/mo lease? That's less than half the lease for the electric Mini. I'd definitely consider it at that price.

Well, not that history will repeat itself, but the original Fiat 500e's became that cheap because NO ONE wanted them. These are probably more desirable, but ultimately, they're not competitive. I've been hawkeyeing EV leases for awhile now and I'm pretty sure with the introduction of the Volvo EX30, the existence of the Bolt EUV, and the reintroduction of the new Mini EV, I can't see how anyone would want the 500e on merit.

350z247
350z247 Reader
12/12/23 2:42 p.m.

Whether it's shallow or not, I wouldn't be caught dead with a Bolt in my garage; the curb appeal of the Fiat or even the Mini is a big factor.

12/12/23 4:19 p.m.
350z247 said:

Whether it's shallow or not, I wouldn't be caught dead with a Bolt in my garage; the curb appeal of the Fiat or even the Mini is a big factor.

Absolutely, and I think that is the appeal of the Mini/Fiat EVs. I'm sure your average customer will just compare it to the Bolt/Model 3/future EX30 and write it off though.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/12/23 6:06 p.m.

For a while the 500Es were leasing for $100/mo or less. If they offered such a lease deal again I'd jump on it, if for no other reason than that's less than I pay for fuel. 

Not sure where I'd park yet another car, but at that price how could you not do it? 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
12/12/23 6:39 p.m.

I'm currently in classes for these being as how I'm somehow a Fiat tech even tho they currently only bring in about 4.7 cars a year.  It will be neat for like three days until nobody buys them. 

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
12/12/23 7:41 p.m.
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) said:
350z247 said:

Absolutely, and I think that is the appeal of the Mini/Fiat EVs. I'm sure your average customer will just compare it to the Bolt/Model 3/future EX30 and write it off though.

I'm sure your average customer won't really compare much of anything at all, certainly not technical merits, and will basically just buy based on whatever they see and hear the most about... Be it on the road, among their friends, and/or in their social media feed. That, which effectively boils down to the lack of an IUD shaped badge on the frunk, is probably the biggest reason they won't sell well.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/12/23 8:23 p.m.

It might be successful where the previous entry was not. Electric vehicles when the first 500e weren't NEARLY as prevalent as they are now. The infrastructure wasn't there. It's a different ballgame. I still wouldn't trust an italian electric car- But there's a whole differen't generation of people buying cars now vs then. 

12/12/23 8:27 p.m.
Mndsm said:

It might be successful where the previous entry was not. Electric vehicles when the first 500e weren't NEARLY as prevalent as they are now. The infrastructure wasn't there. It's a different ballgame. I still wouldn't trust an italian electric car- But there's a whole differen't generation of people buying cars now vs then. 

Well, the Fiat 500e's are killing it in Europe (one of the best sellers that isn't a Tesla) and people seem to love it. I just think America's longer travel distances in general limit its usefulness as its a "City" car.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/12/23 9:06 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Well, the Fiat 500e's are killing it in Europe (one of the best sellers that isn't a Tesla) and people seem to love it. I just think America's longer travel distances in general limit its usefulness as its a "City" car.

I thought the Tesla was a terrible idea here too, and I can't go 10 feet without tripping over one of those damn things. We're living in the future. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
12/13/23 8:33 a.m.

An Italian electric car? What could possibly go wrong?

I can tell some of y'all haven't ever worked on Italian electrics. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
12/13/23 8:52 a.m.

This sounds like a fun appliance for me to get to work and back.  I loved my Abarth, 7 years and finally had a window regulator plastic bit break just before I sold it.  And it looks like a regular car, vs some futuristic bubble/space ship.  I remember the original E wasn't available here in Ohio, thinking it was all west coast?

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
12/13/23 9:04 a.m.
350z247 said:

The point is the Bolt has shown that you can have 200 hp and 250+ miles of range for well under $30k. The Bolt with the Fiat bodywork on it wouldn't cost any more than the Bolt with Bolt bodywork, so that makes the Fiat uncompetitive right out of the box.

I have a MINI Cooper and a Bolt. The Bolt, as a daily driver, doesn't have to be the "cute" one. It has to do the job of conveying myself and/or my wife where we need to go quickly, comfortably and inexpensively. And it excels at that. And I actually like the way it looks:

350z247
350z247 Reader
12/13/23 9:16 a.m.

My wife's commute is 35 minutes over 28 miles; she could go back and fourth to work twice easily in this. As long as you can charge at home each night, this thing's range is perfect. Then again, we already have 5 gas cars; so, my lack of range anxiety may be a bit different to those who only have 1 or 2 cars per household.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
12/13/23 10:10 a.m.

It's too expensive. Far too expensive and slow.

In Canada maybe, but Americans, and increasingly Canadians, want the biggest possible car they can afford.

And this ain't that.  And it's a Fiat.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
12/13/23 10:36 a.m.

I biou

12/13/23 10:57 a.m.
350z247 said:

My wife's commute is 35 minutes over 28 miles; she could go back and fourth to work twice easily in this. As long as you can charge at home each night, this thing's range is perfect. Then again, we already have 5 gas cars; so, my lack of range anxiety may be a bit different to those who only have 1 or 2 cars per household.

My commute is similar. 22 Miles over 30 minutes. This would be perfect for me if they get those lease deals low enough. I'll be hawkeyeing these and the new Mini EV.

12/13/23 10:59 a.m.
ddavidv said:

An Italian electric car? What could possibly go wrong?

I can tell some of y'all haven't ever worked on Italian electrics. 

I've heard bad things about the Dodge Hornet (aka Alfa Romeo) so I can't imagine they're great.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/13/23 11:15 a.m.

Well, not that history will repeat itself, but the original Fiat 500e's became that cheap because NO ONE wanted them.

It is funny how history does so often seem to repeat itself. 

12/13/23 1:00 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Well, not that history will repeat itself, but the original Fiat 500e's became that cheap because NO ONE wanted them.

It is funny how history does so often seem to repeat itself. 

Yes, it seems like it will here too, but I'm trying to give it the benefit of the doubt :)

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/13/23 2:34 p.m.

Upon reading the details, I can only wonder at the design objectives.  Under-deliver on interior room, horsepower and torque, appearance, reliability, and range, then charge 20% more than even the most sympathetic buyer could ever feel good about spending?  All it needs now is an ad campaign to promote Climate-Change-O-Phobia and try to induce sufficient guilt that buyers will give up all the things that people want in a car and settle for....  this.

I don't see it happening.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/13/23 2:40 p.m.

The Late Brake Show reviewed the Abarth version

of the 500E a little while ago:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kr8us3hQmLiXUBwdQGjTOmTzKuak6VTYmcMrIhhLMbU4JLOYYiHRT8L4ng4G9LEr