CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
12/10/12 8:35 p.m.

Probe. /thread

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
12/10/12 8:37 p.m.
CLynn85 wrote: Probe. /thread

My father being a proper Ford mechanic scared me away from probes.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
12/10/12 8:59 p.m.
Things break.

Yup. And if you're buying a single $2000 car you cant afford to pay a shop to fix most of it. Roomier engine bays are more DIY/n00b friendly.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
12/10/12 9:05 p.m.
Vigo wrote:
Things break.
Yup. And if you're buying a single $2000 car you cant afford to pay a shop to fix most of it. Roomier engine bays are more DIY/n00b friendly.

Especially when you need a quick fix in a grassy field.

old_gregg
old_gregg New Reader
12/11/12 12:19 a.m.

More engine bay room and ease of maintenance in general are appreciated. While I'm not planning any engine swaps, I do plan on doing most, if not all, maintenance myself, so the fewer headaches in that department, the better. To that point, I'm definitely leaning more towards a single car the more I think about it.

Rallycrossing the Taurus (or the Buick, for that matter) is an option, but I'd prefer something a little more fun and rewarding if I can afford it.

A Subaru sounds like it could certainly be a good option, I just worry about how expensive it could be to repair due to the AWD system. Maybe that's not that big of a deal, I just don't know that much about Subarus.

I've thought about a ZX2 as well, though I suspect a RWD car may be more fun, even if it's not necessarily quicker. Like Jerry, I'd prefer more fun to lower lap times, especially since most of the driving I'll be doing in this car won't be racing.

The E30 idea is tempting - hearing someone say a car in this price range is "more fun than my 300hp WRX" definitely gets my attention. After doing a little research, it looks like an E36 318 could fall in my price range, seems to be pretty reliable and relatively robust to negligence by previous owners, and gets good gas mileage. An E36 would probably be easier to find in a non-rustbucket state here in the Milwaukee area. Any reasons why that's a bad idea which I may be missing?

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/11/12 5:32 a.m.

I've owned several Subaru's and an E36 325i. The Bimmer was more fun and more expensive to fix. In years of owning my Subaru's I've never had the AWD system break.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
12/11/12 7:36 a.m.

In reply to old_gregg:

The S13 is a RWD Zx2

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W7LzuPBX2091io0XE0UPZyJuDxM6ewdiefWyXgSfgfXBy74ss3PcAvvrcvurtN51