1 2 3 4
EricM
EricM Dork
5/19/11 4:37 p.m.

So,

The most fun I have had with an automobile involved getting a 1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport ready for our trip to the Arctic circle.

I have since sold the Jeep, thinking that I was done with "expeditions" (it was for our 20th wedding anniversary -> cleebrating20.blogspot.com)

Now I have a Daily drive and Autocross car, a 1991 Audi Quattro 20V. Guess what? I want to build an expedition vehicle.

Now I would normally think that a Diesel F350 Ford (minus the bed) built into a rolling 4x4 RV (see Global Expedition Vehicles or earth roamer) but I am not quite at a point in my life for that.

so, In the spirit of the Cherokee, but newer, I am looking to build up a Camping / geocashing / local trail / NOT a rock crawler, Daily driver.

If not a Jeep Liberty, then what? ( I know about the Ball joint Issue, but it appears the after market and "Moog replacement parts" have cleared that up)

thanks,

Eric

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
5/19/11 4:44 p.m.

First thing that popped into my head when comparing to a Liberty was the Grand Vitara, 02-05 vintage. Very sturdy suspension bits, true 4wd, enough power, respectible mileage and overall fun. Second thought was a box-style suburban, 84-91 vintage with 1-ton axles and 38's with some form of a diesel, roof rack for the gear and an inflatable mattress in the back to sleep on.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
5/19/11 4:47 p.m.
EricM wrote: In the spirit of the Cherokee, but newer...Camping / geocashing / local trail / NOT a rock crawler, Daily driver.

Well, I guess this clearly fails in the "newer" category.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
5/19/11 4:48 p.m.

I still say Jeep Cherokee.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
5/19/11 4:54 p.m.

Astro awd with 3" lift.
Sold new until 2005.
Will hold a double mattress in the back.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
5/19/11 4:57 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote:
EricM wrote: In the spirit of the Cherokee, but newer...Camping / geocashing / local trail / NOT a rock crawler, Daily driver.
Well, I guess this clearly fails in the "newer" category.

I have one of these, but it's the GMC Casa Grande...pics in "my garage". It's fun and cruises on the interstate fine. The only problem is the bed is really short. A lot of times we take the 91 Suburban instead and just throw the air mattress in the back. I do love the novelty of the GMC though.

Between our built 99 Cherokee, 91 Suburban, and the 76 Casa Grande I'd probably pick the Suburban as the best for expeditions with some minor mods like an ARB fridge etc. The Casa Grande is great, but real large and visibility is a challenge. The Jeep is just too small if you plan on sleeping in it at all. I guess you could always go with a roof top tent though.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
5/19/11 5:19 p.m.

If you can find a newer replacement for a Jeep Cherokee, let me know. I can't find anything that can replace it, which is why I still have mine.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
5/19/11 5:56 p.m.

In reply to racinginc215:

Strange. I was looking at one of those in my parking garage the other day and noticed that unlike the other Hummers, this one was about the same size and shape as my Cherokee.

Isn't this based on the small Chevy pickup?

dsycks
dsycks Reader
5/19/11 6:17 p.m.

Nissan Xterra... if you need a little more room go for the Pathfinder but you may need to add a few more goodies. Of course the long wheelbase 4 door Wrangler may work too.

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
5/19/11 6:45 p.m.

I saw an Xterra without the roof rack a few weeks ago, and it took me a few seconds of squinting to find out what it was.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
5/19/11 6:48 p.m.

I like this thread.

I agree with the general sentiment that there IS NO 'slightly larger Cherokee'.. There are plenty of slightly larger things, but none of them is quite what a Cherokee is.

Im going to go on a little bit of a limb here.. ~92-96 Isuzu Trooper.

It is significantly bigger/roomier than a Cherokee but could be had in an equally bare-bones configuration (5spd, 4wd, roll up windows, simple interior). Ive driven (and even towed a car with) an example like what i speak of and i REALLY liked it. Did i mention it has an abundance of structurally useable grab handles? For some reason i loved that it had 10 oh E36 M3 handles you could actually hang off of.

I know it would be hard to find, but maybe give one a look? They're bound to be cheap, but finding a bare-bones 5spd 4wd might be tricky. 5 SPD ONLY, the 4l30 auto is a pos.

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
5/19/11 7:00 p.m.
Vigo wrote: I like this thread. I agree with the general sentiment that there IS NO 'slightly larger Cherokee'.. There are plenty of slightly larger things, but none of them is quite what a Cherokee is. Im going to go on a little bit of a limb here.. ~92-96 Isuzu Trooper. It is significantly bigger/roomier than a Cherokee but could be had in an equally bare-bones configuration (5spd, 4wd, roll up windows, simple interior). Ive driven (and even towed a car with) an example like what i speak of and i REALLY liked it. Did i mention it has an abundance of structurally useable grab handles? For some reason i loved that it had 10 oh E36 M3 handles you could actually hang off of. I know it would be hard to find, but maybe give one a look? They're bound to be cheap, but finding a bare-bones 5spd 4wd might be tricky. 5 SPD ONLY, the 4l30 auto is a pos.

Bonus points for this one, from me. IIRC, you could get it with a factory diesel, too. And they fly low on the resale market.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
5/19/11 9:21 p.m.

+1 on the Isuzu. You can buy them cheap where I live.

The one thing the Cherokee has going for it is that they made so bloody many of them. There are more aftermarket parts for Cherokees than for any other SUV. There are more cheap parts in wrecking yards and more cheap Cherokees on Craigslist too. The local Jeep club here is every bit as active as the local PCA chapter only on a different kind of terrain. There is no huge active Isuzu Club, Xterra Club or Hummer Club around.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
5/19/11 9:43 p.m.
racinginc215 wrote: I don't think you can replace the Cherokee for what it is. But I have to say after driving one of these for a week it's not to shabby. And seems suited for what you want to do. I present to you the H3

I have never heard good things about those off road.

Sonic
Sonic Dork
5/19/11 9:44 p.m.

Expedition vehicle? All over the world, these are used for expeditions, and there are lots of ready made parts for that purpose, along with plenty of other people who have built them for that purpose.

And they can do things like this

RossD
RossD SuperDork
5/19/11 10:00 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
racinginc215 wrote: I don't think you can replace the Cherokee for what it is. But I have to say after driving one of these for a week it's not to shabby. And seems suited for what you want to do. I present to you the H3
I have never heard good things about those off road.

My dad had a 5 cylinder one and it would go through damn near anything. Like mud pits where lifted V8 CJs had to be winched though and the H3 just drove through. 1st hand experience, I am still in awe of what a stock H3 can do.

EricM
EricM Dork
5/19/11 10:12 p.m.

I doesn't have to be bigger than an XJ. I will build an "around the world" vehicle, just not yet.

Looking for for something for "in the mean time" until I build the world dominatrix. Local camping, etc. Maybe a Toyota Land Cruiser. Land Rovers scare me, the perception of being broken..

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
5/19/11 10:20 p.m.

For the most part, it seems that when Rovers break, they can still get you home safely. That seems like a big selling point for me.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
5/19/11 10:33 p.m.

In reply to RossD:

Maybe I am thinking of H2s.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
5/19/11 10:35 p.m.

I would say a Defender would be the perfect vehicle for this but they are so damn expensive over here.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
5/19/11 10:36 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: For the most part, it seems that when Rovers break, they can still get you home safely. That seems like a big selling point for me.

Yup-split a radiator hose because you ignored a bad head gasket (you can for a really long time) and boil out all your coolant (no water means no hi temp on gauge) and it will eventually stall on you. Park it, replace hose, add water, and she gets you where you need to go. Just don't ignore the front driveshaft-when it goes, it breaks off transmission housing parts. No housings-no fluid.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
5/19/11 10:42 p.m.

So, did you break off a front drive shaft on yours?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
5/19/11 11:16 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: So, did you break off a front drive shaft on yours?

No-it was the "dire warning" I actually paid attention to.

dsycks
dsycks Reader
5/20/11 12:11 a.m.

Hmm... I wonder what my friend FJ40Jim would point ya to?

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
5/20/11 12:15 a.m.

That H3 sounds like it can almost do what a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon can do.

http://www.jeep.com/en/2011/wrangler_unlimited/capability/capability_tour/

The Jeep holds its value really well. Perhaps the best Jeep value is a brand new one. I can't remember if I heard that last bit here or on a Jeep forum, but I feel it holds true. A 3 year old Jeep with 30,000 miles will be just a few grand less than a brand new one.

Mr. Joshua, that sounds like it could have been a really expensive mess to clean up. Glad you avoided it. Can't say I wouldn't want to see the carnage, though.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dJxwme6LywtePCAtPpDAH5W6w4EEsNGHdHzws6xfx2kMYvw7kIp2uarQ8fIimHtv