Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/15/12 6:42 a.m.
m4ff3w wrote:

Father approves.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
9/15/12 9:45 a.m.

The problem with the Cherokee is that the newest one will be 12 yrs old. That often starts with age related problems. Has anyone thought of a Grand Cherokee ?

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
9/15/12 10:23 a.m.

Off the wall idea - FJ 55 or 60 from the southwest for low rust, insert LSx. Lousy mpg, but would be a sweet setup.

In the real world, late model Trooper or Rodeo with about a 2 inch lift would be really nice, but parts might be iffy. I had a V6 Amigo (AKA Rodeo Sport some years), and it was a great, very ruggedly built little truck, very capable off road, and installing taller rear springs and resetting the front torsion bars was a one-day, easy project. Google Valley Spring Works inCalifornia for the springs. I used Old Man Emu shocks. Got 22 mpg highway with manual trans. Other than normal maintenance, no problems whatsoever in 120,000 miles.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/15/12 10:26 a.m.

Here's my take on the Hummer line.

H1 - awesome, but not GRM.
H2 - a really fat 1/2 ton Tahoe that is a mere poser on the trail. Its the Hummer for rich soccer moms who want a Hummer but can't quite afford the H1.
H3 - based on the Colorado, expensive, but well-executed entry-level trail ride.

Flight Service
Flight Service SuperDork
9/15/12 10:41 a.m.

Mog, mog mog mog mog mog mog mog mog mog mog

MOG!!!

but not very GRM.

Flight Service
Flight Service SuperDork
9/15/12 10:59 a.m.
Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
9/15/12 3:19 p.m.

Surprised FZJ80 didn't make this thread

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
9/15/12 3:33 p.m.

Build or buy a Cherokee w/ all the aftermarket upgrades done... axles, lift, engine/ driveline etc.

In those conditions I wouldn't wanna depend on electric or vacuum operated actuators. Manual actuated transfer case and axle ftw.

alex
alex UltraDork
9/15/12 3:43 p.m.

An alternative solution: 4x4 pickemup (long bed or short, your call) with a utility or camper shell on most of the time, and a slide-in camper for excursions, if you don't want to sleep in just the shell? If you're got room to store the topper(s) when they're not in use, it's a pretty damn flexible solution.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/15/12 5:08 p.m.

Troopers are getting cheaper all the time. About the 4L30: keep the fluid changed and it'll last approximately infinity.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
9/15/12 6:53 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: here's another vote for the Xterra, i've thoroughly enjoyed mine. they're pretty capable on stock suspension with just the rear swaybar removed. i've got the off road version with the factory rear locker, skid plates and billstein shocks. Stock: 2in lift with rear sway removed that said, i had a liberty limited rental last weekend that was not bad at all. the crappy dbw pedal and 3.8 were less noticeable with the automatic

Liberty has a 3.7L engine and has a throttle cable.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
9/15/12 10:39 p.m.

Trooper is the answer, and if you get one with a 2.8 and a stick like mine, then parts are in stock at every single auto parts store in the world. I can't say enough good things about it, and it's been a damn good light expedition vehicle for me. I'm scheming to drive it to Costa Rica and back at some point in the next few years.

Axles are bulletproof, 33s clear with no modifications, lockers are available, simple spacious interior, direct transfer case shifter, simple enough to take scuba diving, the list goes on and on.

Driveway shot:

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
9/16/12 8:31 a.m.

Expedition Portal has a top ten list that's based on a lot of overland expeditions.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/resources/91-guide/351-top-10-used-overland-vehicles.html

Might be a little hard core, but good reliable information.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
9/16/12 8:53 a.m.
iceracer wrote:
Strizzo wrote: here's another vote for the Xterra, i've thoroughly enjoyed mine. they're pretty capable on stock suspension with just the rear swaybar removed. i've got the off road version with the factory rear locker, skid plates and billstein shocks. Stock: 2in lift with rear sway removed that said, i had a liberty limited rental last weekend that was not bad at all. the crappy dbw pedal and 3.8 were less noticeable with the automatic
Liberty has a 3.7L engine and has a throttle cable.

Well if they'd put that motor in the jk instead of the crap 3.8, I might have bought one over the xterra.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
9/16/12 9:26 a.m.

I wonder what JEEP will do now that the Liberty is dead. Upgrade the Compass. They need to build a new CJ.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
9/16/12 10:02 a.m.
Trooper is the answer, and if you get one with a 2.8 and a stick like mine, then parts are in stock at every single auto parts store in the world.

I didnt realize this until i owned one (rodeo 2.8/5spd), but the 2.8 tbi is the motor to get in one of those things, imo. Its super simple, reliable, easy to work on, has numerous swap/upgrade options, and parts are cheap. I really liked my rodeo but had no reason to keep it as opposed to flipping for 3x the money.

Well if they'd put that motor in the jk instead of the crap 3.8, I might have bought one over the xterra.

Thats a crock of E36 M3. The 3.8 does everything the 3.7 does while being smaller, lighter, using less parts, being easier to work on, and cheaper. The 3.7 is the dodge v6 that should never have existed. The liberty should have launched with the 3.8. The only reason so many people complain about 3.8s in JKs is because the JK is ridiculously obese!

alex
alex UltraDork
9/16/12 10:05 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Trooper is the answer, and if you get one with a 2.8 and a stick like mine, then parts are in stock at every single auto parts store in the world. I can't say enough good things about it, and it's been a damn good light expedition vehicle for me. I'm scheming to drive it to Costa Rica and back at some point in the next few years. Axles are bulletproof, 33s clear with no modifications, lockers are available, simple spacious interior, direct transfer case shifter, simple enough to take scuba diving, the list goes on and on. Driveway shot:

OK, now I'm officially jealous. For some reason, I really want something with a rooftop tent.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/16/12 10:46 a.m.

Tommy, are you wanting to put fender flares on yours and if so have you had any luck finding some?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
9/16/12 11:00 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: Expedition Portal has a top ten list that's based on a lot of overland expeditions. http://www.expeditionportal.com/resources/91-guide/351-top-10-used-overland-vehicles.html Might be a little hard core, but good reliable information.

That actually was pretty informative. I'm surprised that the Jeep Patriot made an "Honorable Mention". That led me to this article, which I have to say I'm rather impressed with what the Patriot can do off road.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/reviews/patriot/index.htm

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
9/16/12 1:05 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

My issue was not one of power, I was not so silly to think it would be fast, it was one of drivability. The 6spd I drove, there was hardly any discernible position difference on the pedal between idle and 3500 rpm. It was seriously difficult to modulate off idle like when trying to pull away from a stop. I would either kill it or rev the crap out of it slipping the clutch. Maybe I would have gotten used to it but it really turned me off of them. I would have bought a 6speed LJ if I could have found one for a reasonable price.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
9/16/12 1:15 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: That H3 sounds like it can almost do what a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon can do. http://www.jeep.com/en/2011/wrangler_unlimited/capability/capability_tour/ The Jeep holds its value really well. Perhaps the best Jeep value is a brand new one. I can't remember if I heard that last bit here or on a Jeep forum, but I feel it holds true. A 3 year old Jeep with 30,000 miles will be just a few grand less than a brand new one. Mr. Joshua, that sounds like it could have been a really expensive mess to clean up. Glad you avoided it. Can't say I wouldn't want to see the carnage, though.

QFT. I drove a 2012 Wrangler yesterday. My wife's Liberty is getting too long in the tooth for her, and she likes the Wrangler Unlimiteds.

With the modestly optioned Sahara I drove stickering at $35k (without a body colored top), I was shocked. I started looking up used ones at home and aside from a couple decent looking deals, you're pretty much better off buying a new one.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
9/16/12 3:07 p.m.
My issue was not one of power, I was not so silly to think it would be fast, it was one of drivability. The 6spd I drove, there was hardly any discernible position difference on the pedal between idle and 3500 rpm. It was seriously difficult to modulate off idle like when trying to pull away from a stop. I would either kill it or rev the crap out of it slipping the clutch. Maybe I would have gotten used to it but it really turned me off of them. I would have bought a 6speed LJ if I could have found one for a reasonable price.

Ahh, i understand now. Sounds like a software thing. Forgive me for assuming you were making the same complaint i have seen from so many others. Yours actually seems potentially valid!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
9/16/12 3:11 p.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3:

I also found this. 5 Overland vehicles for under $5K.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/resources/91-guide/1292-5-awesome-overland-vehicles-for-under-5k.html

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/16/12 5:33 p.m.
Vigo wrote:
Ahh, i understand now. Sounds like a software thing. Forgive me for assuming you were making the same complaint i have seen from so many others. Yours actually seems potentially valid!

A buddy bought a Wrangler with a 6 speed, he could not stand that 'lag'. That's why he got rid of it. It is something in the drive by wire programming, as I understand it the deal is that there's an 'idle' setting (so to speak) and the PCM has to quickly decide whether to allow the TB to open and that time lapse is what people feel. That's a pretty common complaint with FI sportbikes too, it's hard to modulate very small throttle openings leading to lurch/jerk.

It's much like the momentary delay on a PATS key; you turn the switch, the pickup 'interrogates' the key, sends that to the BCM which then asks the PCM, the PCM has to make up its mind that key is OK, tells the BCM 'all is well' and only then will it allow starter relay engagement. Takes ~1/2 second but it's a discernible delay that will drive some people nuts.

JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
9/16/12 5:40 p.m.

I know OP long has solved his problem but this in wagon would be kinda bad ass!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tYbeTpVNs0UpZyKC0XiPcJ2UBWXHpewxUMTVTpg4Ity9rEdJ5Ehph8aoHr4JqejW