1 2 3 4
Flight Service
Flight Service SuperDork
9/17/12 10:52 a.m.

The Patriot review really got me thinking. My wife wants an SUV in the Cute Ute category (basically she wants the ground clearance, and I won't buy her the Excursion she wants with the cow catcher.)

I have used the Google machine and can't find the answer, but other than calling Jeep with the VIN, does anyone know how to tell if a Patriot has the Freedom Drive II system?

Cotton
Cotton Dork
9/17/12 12:29 p.m.
BAMF wrote:
Derick Freese wrote: That H3 sounds like it can almost do what a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon can do. http://www.jeep.com/en/2011/wrangler_unlimited/capability/capability_tour/ The Jeep holds its value really well. Perhaps the best Jeep value is a brand new one. I can't remember if I heard that last bit here or on a Jeep forum, but I feel it holds true. A 3 year old Jeep with 30,000 miles will be just a few grand less than a brand new one. Mr. Joshua, that sounds like it could have been a really expensive mess to clean up. Glad you avoided it. Can't say I wouldn't want to see the carnage, though.
QFT. I drove a 2012 Wrangler yesterday. My wife's Liberty is getting too long in the tooth for her, and she likes the Wrangler Unlimiteds. With the modestly optioned Sahara I drove stickering at $35k (without a body colored top), I was shocked. I started looking up used ones at home and aside from a couple decent looking deals, you're pretty much better off buying a new one.

Same thing happened to us. Wife wanted a wrangler and we ended up buying new because the resale is so good on used ones. We were able to work a pretty good deal on a 2012 Arctic edition. I have to say I'm impressed with the 285HP 3.7 they put in them now.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
9/17/12 8:36 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: The Patriot review really got me thinking. My wife wants an SUV in the Cute Ute category (basically she wants the ground clearance, and I won't buy her the Excursion she wants with the cow catcher.) I have used the Google machine and can't find the answer, but other than calling Jeep with the VIN, does anyone know how to tell if a Patriot has the Freedom Drive II system?

From all the literature I read, its the ones with the "Trail Rated" badges. They are the only ones with the Freedom Drive II. They also sit an inch higher than the other models and come with engine and gas tank skid plates from the factory.

I don't love CVTs, but after reading that article it gave me some faith. I did read however, that Chrysler is supposed to be dumping the CVT for a 6-speed auto for the next Patriot/Compass. I thought they were getting rid of them, but it sounds like they're keeping them around for a couple more years.

Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero)
Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero) HalfDork
9/17/12 9:39 p.m.

You need a 3rd gen 4runner like my new one! "disclamer this isn't mine"

Flight Service
Flight Service SuperDork
9/18/12 1:36 p.m.

We had a 3rd Gen 4Runner, Rack and pinion SPLIT during street driving.

No more Yota for me.

I like CVT's, I think the tech is just getting to be in a durable state. The Nissan CVTs especially (Jatco). For normal daily driving they will be fine, I don't think they are ready for towing or high horsepower use. People seriously aren't used to them. In a vehicle with good NVH levels and no tach, I bet they wouldn't notice the difference.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
9/18/12 2:46 p.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

By what I read the Patriot has a 2000lb towing capacity. So for a small 4-Cyl CUV with a CVT, that's not horrible.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
9/18/12 2:46 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: We had a 3rd Gen 4Runner, Rack and pinion SPLIT during street driving. No more Yota for me.

reminds me of this thread and the front suspension issues. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/anyone-heard-of-foreign-market-4-runner-suspension/50235/page1/

phaze1todd
phaze1todd Reader
9/18/12 6:44 p.m.

Bobbed deuce?

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
9/18/12 7:02 p.m.
JtspellS wrote: I know OP long has solved his problem but this in wagon would be kinda bad ass!

This kinda looks like a red neck donk....

Flight Service
Flight Service SuperDork
9/19/12 9:14 p.m.
phaze1todd wrote: Bobbed deuce?

My wife would hit soo many people I would go to jail for enabling

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pUMCpSisqAOFSYQfjuoptRcWdptFzjSA3RSJOCpIKhlb39SmyEWsZHiyROm9uRRy