RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/22/20 12:56 p.m.

Interested in the P71 

Lots of ex HP cars in this area

Regards

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
1/22/20 1:11 p.m.

I'm looking at P71s right now, too. It doesn't take much to make them a willing dance partner, but they aren't the fastest thing in a straight line. I've driven a few well prepped ones and while I had a blast flinging a 4k pound ex cop car through traffic cones, they aren't a miata, MR2 or other purpose built sports car. I guess all I'm saying is if you go with a Panther, make sure your expectations are reasonable.   

RacingComputers
1/22/20 2:59 p.m.

Pen

Where  are you finding information on setting up a P71?

My expectation are an upgrade from a Fox Bodied Mustang SVO

Thanks

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
1/22/20 8:47 p.m.

Panther info - I just keep my eyes open, also odd web searches have yielded nuggets here and there.

The link I gave in the other post has a link in the text and the video tells where he got the rear suspension. If you are a big guy, which I think you mentioned, a full size car might be a good idea. I am kind of lanky, 6 foot and 205 lbs according to the doctors scale today, but it lies, and I am very comfortable in a Panther. The P71 mostly has more of a single (bucket-ish?) seat that might keep you more secure, the Grand Marquis I have has a drivers couch to rival any that ever been in my living room. I have played with names like AutoCouching for when I go autocrossing.

Penultimeta said it right though, it will not be the fastest, it will be fun which is what I am after. If you decide to be competitive go with a MR2 or something like that.

If you decide to go with a Panther look at Mustang forums too, the 4.6 modular engine is a sturdy piece, but upping the power is limited. From what I have read switching to the 5.4 mod from a truck is not really any better. There are Mustang / Lincoln engines (iirc) with 3 and 4 valve heads that will get you more power. The Grand Marquis has a little more than 210 hp while the P71's have closer to 230 up to 250 hp depending on the year. (This is all from reading, so if my numbers are off angel)

The P71 transmission is also tweaked and the ecu will help. P71's also have dual exhaust from the factory. That and the 3.55 rear end are on my list of improvements.

BTW saw a Panther body today in KC, slightly tall tires, sits like mine and it looked sweet! For an Accidental Project I guess I have decided that its not such a bad platform. I would suggest you start with a better example than I did and they can be had pretty reasonable.

RacingComputers
1/23/20 6:06 a.m.

Thanks for the update

We had worn out an Ex- FHP cruiser, so the platform is familiar to us.

The Rear Suspension is from Maximum Motorsports, a well know Mustang Supplier

Regards

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FAaxe4Gpd1diQAI4l6fIe7I9t6paVA6axvDWFT7roaMIvJfN5TEYMpQYM0s5AVZL