1 2
petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/14/15 11:13 a.m.

You guys have given me a wonderfully horrific idea, and one I'm sure would go over great at all the local county fairs - combine the demo-derby and the hotdog eating contest into one single event!

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
2/14/15 11:15 a.m.

My garsh, that wasn't just any cheeseburger, that was a Double Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese. Imagine the implications of that second 1/4 lb. patty*.

*weight before cooking 4 oz. (113.4g) per patty

Obviously, I keed, I keed.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/14/15 11:30 a.m.

Apparently, it is LEGAL to operate citizens band radio, mobile telephone, amateur or ham radio while driving.

It is NOT LEGAL to eat a hamburger.

O.C.G.A. Georgia Code said: § 40-6-241. Driver to exercise due care; proper use of radios and mobile telephones allowed A driver shall exercise due care in operating a motor vehicle on the highways of this state and shall not engage in any actions which shall distract such driver from the safe operation of such vehicle, provided that, except as prohibited by Code Sections 40-6-241.1 and 40-6-241.2, the proper use of a radio, citizens band radio, mobile telephone, or amateur or ham radio shall not be a violation of this Code section.

I think that kills our Stuff-Your-Face AutoX idea.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/14/15 11:54 a.m.

I'm pretty sure the guy was acquitted on his charge of felonious face-stuffing.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/14/15 12:23 p.m.
Knurled wrote: It's really hard to swallow an entire cheeseburger in one bite without chewing.

This sounds like a challenge I can get behind.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
2/14/15 1:05 p.m.

When I was a kid I went everywhere with my dad. He was no doubt about it an alcoholic. He never went anywhere without a cooler full of beer. He started drinking early in the morning and drank all day, everyday. I remember being 6 or 7 and it was my job to reach through the sliding glass rear window of his 76 GMC stepside pickup to get him another beer from the cooler and put his empty in there anytime we were on the road. Just had to remember to keep it low so no one could see it. He never got pulled over or involved in any kind of accident while I was alive, although, I'm sure there was a couple before I was born.

How does this fit in with the conversation? Well, I'm glad you asked. I propose that we need to get the kids out of booster seats so that they can be free to feed us burgers or beer or whatever, so that we can keep focused on the task of driving. Seems like a logical solution to me...

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
2/14/15 1:23 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Apparently, it is LEGAL to operate citizens band radio, mobile telephone, amateur or ham radio while driving. It is NOT LEGAL to eat a hamburger.

God help you should you need to use your GPS, map, turn signal, check the speedometer, all of which take your eyes off the road.

Hang em all

1kris06
1kris06 Reader
2/14/15 3:10 p.m.

Precisely why I almost always get chicken wraps/anything* in a tortilla if I'm going to eat and drive.

*within reason, burritos can get messy, the less liquid the better.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
2/14/15 8:06 p.m.

I live in Atlanta...and eat while drinking coffee and updating GRM forum posts on my phone while reading work emails on my work phone and shifting my manual DD...and I promise I'm safer then 99.9% of the morons who don't know where their GPS is tellimg them to go and exiting across 6 lanes of traffic...

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
2/14/15 9:14 p.m.

I think there's more to it than just eating and driving. Maybe he was using 2 hands on the cheeseburger.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/14/15 9:20 p.m.

so that time i was eating a sandwich, drinking a coffee, talking on the phone, while driving a manual trans dually was a bad thing? i consider it talent.

the first day they made the "no distracted driving" law in a local suburb of cleveland, they ticketed a woman for eating french fries.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
2/14/15 10:35 p.m.

The kid that killed the Battle Bus last month admitted to the cop that he was eating a drive-thru cheeseburger when he drive straight into the back of my van. Never even touched the brakes. Moved a 4000-lb Grand Caravan 10 feet with an Aveo.

impulsive
impulsive Reader
2/15/15 8:41 a.m.

^you were negligent in your responsibility to avoid being smashed by someone exercising their fundamental freedom, because blah blah blah nanny state and such.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/15/15 12:59 p.m.

^^No, the fact that he had an accident is clear evidence that he was distracted beyond his ability to safely operate the vehicle.

He didn't need a cheeseburger to do that.

That was not the case in the article I linked. He did not have an accident, nor was he driving erratically. The case was eventually dismissed for this reason- he had not exceeded his ability to safely operate the vehicle.

BTW, that is the standard interpretation of distracted driving laws. People are generally not charged unless there is an accident, or erratic driving.

Eating a hamburger is not illegal, and enforcing bogus laws to try to get people to not eat hamburgers while driving does not make our roads safer.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
2/16/15 1:33 a.m.

Street Survival Stage 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRrg0y4dl6w

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eMaYqt0yzxXMDUOJy71EIbVEq7m3zGOHaWr2gf95admmz1zsCwyHkYR4oQVSmIbQ